2011-2012 Bowling Season

Just curious if anyone on here is into bowling? I'm on a league here in SW Michigan, and thought I'd start a bowling thread to share high games, or series or tournament results. My season starts next Tuesday and I can't wait.

I'm pretty much addicted to two things: bowling and the White Sox.

I've been in a league for the past 10 years now. Raised my average up last year to my personal best 185. We start up next week.

My best game was 277. In a different game, I had the first 9 strikes, but came up with a split to start the 10th, and finished off with a 264 or so.

Edited by smalls2598

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 02:01 AM)
Not to go off-topic, but KG, I noticed you live in St. Joe, Michigan. My grandma lives at our cottage in White Pigeon, on the St. Joe river.

Nice, its a different county than I am in. Over east a little more. SW Michigan is nice, not too far of a drive from Chicago so I can still make it to plenty of games throughout the season.

I've been bowling in leagues now for 4 years, this will be my 5th year of it. My highest series is a 652 and high game is a 257. After my first year of bowling, I broke my bowling arm (right). Had to rehab and all that good stuff. So my game wasn't able to improve as I had hoped right away. I'm now up to a 180 average.

When I broke my arm, I bowled left handed for fun. My high game lefty is a 189. I was damn proud of that score!

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 09:17 AM)
Bowling season? Correct me if I'm wrong, but bowling strikes me as sort of an all-year type of thing.

There are leagues all year long but the summer leagues are usually considered short seasons.

When I was growing up, I always played softball all summer and bowled all winter.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 09:17 AM)
Bowling season? Correct me if I'm wrong, but bowling strikes me as sort of an all-year type of thing.

September (or late August) is when the longer bowling leagues begin, and usually go through April/early May. Or at least that's how my league is.

Been bowling in an every-other-saturday night league with my wife and cousins for the last 19 years. Just signed up for a men's league on Tuesday nights here in Joliet, first time I will be a weekly bowler in about 20 years. High game only 290, but I did have 17 strikes in a row once (ended with 11 then started with 6). Average been sitting in the mid 170's last several years, which is why I joined the men's league to see if I can raise it with more regular play.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 09:27 AM)
There are leagues all year long but the summer leagues are usually considered short seasons.

When I was growing up, I always played softball all summer and bowled all winter.

Were you born a middle aged man?

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Aug 31, 2011 -> 09:29 AM)
Were you born a middle aged man?

How many middle-age men play fast-pitch softball?

Also bowling was a really popular sport when I was a kid. The alley I bowled at had 32 lanes and they were full every Saturday morning. First for a 9:30AM league and then an 11:30AM league.

For some reason the popularity of the sport has gone way, way down in the past 10 years or so. My daughter bowls in a league where there is only about 10-12 teams total spread throughout all the age groups.

It might be because it's an indoor sport and nobody wants to do anything outside when it's below zero with the wind chill. You don't really have to be in shape to play it, and you can drink/socialize at the same time.

My wife usually bowled on a league with me and she went mostly for the socializing. The actual bowling just got in the way.

FWIW, my best score is a 300 which I got when I was 16. Haven't had one since. The closest I came was a few years later when I got 10 in a row but messed up on my second ball in the 10th frame. Then I blew my 800 series when I got a split in the 10th frame of the 3rd game. Ended up with a 791.

I've also recorded a 0 game when I was like 6 or 7. They didn't have bumper bowl back then. :ph34r:

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Aug 31, 2011 -> 10:47 AM)
How many middle-age men play fast-pitch softball?

Also bowling was a really popular sport when I was a kid. The alley I bowled at had 32 lanes and they were full every Saturday morning. First for a 9:30AM league and then an 11:30AM league.

For some reason the popularity of the sport has gone way, way down in the past 10 years or so. My daughter bowls in a league where there is only about 10-12 teams total spread throughout all the age groups.

The place I play is always packed. 40 lanes, full with leagues every weekend, and then on $1 game nights (Mon and Wed) there are usually a wait to get a lane. I think my leagues when I played had like 12-14 teams in each league, and about 5 or 6 leagues between 6-19 years old.

I've bowled 2 300s, but only one sanctioned. They also happened within 5 months of each other, one in November of '04, the other in March of '05. The second one was sanctioned and was actually the first game of our state scratch tournament.

There's only been one other time that I got really hot and that was at the state scratch tournament the following year. My first 4 frames were sloppy, but I found a line and put up 7 of the next 8. Started my second game with the first 9. My 10th ball looked perfect, but I left a wrap-around 10-pin. Picked it to finish with a 277. Started the next game out with 5 strikes, my 6th ball was a stone 8, and then I put up 3 or 4 more strikes and ended up with a 250-something that game. I with a couple of lucky taps, I probably end up throwing 18-22 strikes in a row. I was pretty much on fire that day.

I've bowled a bit since then, but I haven't been able to crack a 260 since that time, though I've put up scores in the 250s probably 10-15 times since I stopped bowling regularly. It's pretty much every time I go out, I start out in the 180s, kick it up to the 250s, and crap out with something in the 150s.

Tuesday was my first night in a new league in a new house, 205, 154 and 184. I had 4 splits in the second game, took me most of it to adjust to the quickly changing lanes. Still been too busy to get my new ball drilled, we'll see what i can do once I get that done.

I've always thought it's better to start the year off a little slow and build your average up as you go. It really sucks when you start really good and end up with a high average that you'll never be able to maintain.

When I got my 300, it was the first day of the season. I ended up with a 232 average. I think I ended the season closer to 180.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 10:18 AM)
I've always thought it's better to start the year off a little slow and build your average up as you go. It really sucks when you start really good and end up with a high average that you'll never be able to maintain.

When I got my 300, it was the first day of the season. I ended up with a 232 average. I think I ended the season closer to 180.

Did something similar a few years back, had a 290, 259 and 222 on the second week, shot that average way up. I don't think I broke 200 again that year for months after that.

• 4 weeks later...