Government Shutdown on the clock thread

Balta1701

One other note.

The Shutdown deadline is when the clock ticks over to 12:00 a.m. Saturday.

The Republicans in Congress have pledged to not vote on any bills that were not displayed for 3 days prior to the vote. (Although they were happy to bypass this rule to vote on the Health Care repeal, defunding NPR, defunding Planned Parenthood, etc.).

If the Republicans choose to enforce that rule regarding a budget agreement, then an agreement to avoid a shutdown must be reached by the time the clock ticks over to 12:00 a.m. tonight.

• Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 6, 2011 -> 06:30 PM)
Potential government shutdown could ruin my trip to the Everglades in early May! :angry:

I'd be impressed if it lasted that long.

"The Republican Party has kept you from getting your Social Security checks for 4 weeks now!"

/winning.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 6, 2011 -> 05:44 PM)
I do not underestimate democrat incompetence or republican stupidity.

What was it Lewis Black said, the democrats were a party of no ideas and the republicans were a party of bad ideas?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 09:53 AM)
Republican sticking points on passing a budget are defunding Planned Parenthood, the EPA and financial regulations. Glad they've got their priorities straightened out.

Also preventing DC from using District assessed taxes (read: non-federal funds) from providing funding for abortions.

Planned Parenthood at Center of Budget Shutdown Threat

Sen. John Kyl, R-Ariz., repeated a Republican argument today that abortions are "well over 90 percent of what Planned Parenthood does."

Planned Parenthood is the nation's largest abortion provider, but it issued a fact sheet today stating that more than 90 percent of its health care services are preventive, not abortions. It receives about $70 million of Title X funding, and the company says none of the funds are used to fund abortions.

I like how they refer to it as the "Republican argument" instead of "blatant lie," unless it's a meta move to get "Republican argument" to be a synonym for "blatant lie".

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 03:23 PM)
My cynicism will reach new highs (lows?) if the tea party Republicans maintain or gain strength in 2012 after their performance thus far.

I'd bet money they won't.

The problem is, part of what they are saying and attempting to do is exactly what everyone feels needs to be done - reign in an unsustainable federal spending regimen. But the way they are going about it is outright stupid, and will alienate centrist voters, who they need in order to be elected or re-elected.

That 80%+ of the budget that makes up Social Security, Medicare/Medicaid, military and debt service? Yeah, no plans to do anything about that. But that 5% of the 20% of the budget in discretionary spending that they plan to target? That 1% of the budget? Boy, they sure are happy to cut that - especially if they can cut only the 30% of the 1% that is not politically aligned with their beliefs.

Have fun with that 0.3% you are attacking. That should solve everything.

Jackasses.

While the majority of people currently seem to think government spending needs to be cut and that the size of government should shrink, not everyone feels that way. There are plenty of people who either say current budget deficit problems in the middle of a bad recession are overblown and can be fixed by simple GDP growth or that the funding gap should be fixed by changes in the tax code to eliminate subsidies for and raise taxes on the super wealthy. Instead the focus from both sides is a various mix of cutting a bunch of social programs for the poor, cutting environmental funding, cutting science funding, cutting education and maintaining or increasing subsidies for oil companies and enacting deep cuts in the estate tax.

But the GOP and the newly elected congressmen in particular are being transparently terrible.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 03:51 PM)
While the majority of people currently seem to think government spending needs to be cut and that the size of government should shrink, not everyone feels that way. There are plenty of people who either say current budget deficit problems in the middle of a bad recession are overblown and can be fixed by simple GDP growth or that the funding gap should be fixed by changes in the tax code to eliminate subsidies for and raise taxes on the super wealthy. Instead the focus from both sides is a various mix of cutting a bunch of social programs for the poor, cutting environmental funding, cutting science funding, cutting education and maintaining or increasing subsidies for oil companies and enacting deep cuts in the estate tax.

But the GOP and the newly elected congressmen in particular are being transparently terrible.

Oh, well if we can just flip that switch why don't we?

I hate that the GOP is taking this stance without even questioning defense cuts or medicare/medicaid/ss cuts, but at least they're doing SOMETHING. Wtf have the dems proposed? As usual, nothing.

Also, as I've said before, tax the piss out of the rich. I'm still not understanding why both sides are so against this issue (except that'd hurt all of the people that put them in office). It's too bad us peons can't be a little more vocal about that.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 06:05 PM)
I hate that the GOP is taking this stance without even questioning defense cuts or medicare/medicaid/ss cuts, but at least they're doing SOMETHING. Wtf have the dems proposed? As usual, nothing.

Well, the Democrats proposed several hundred billion dollars in cuts from Medicare and in fact passed them last year. Of course, we're not allowed to count that.

If someone comes in and pays for your mortgage, you can use that money to pay for booze and hookers. Then you can tell them that none of their money went to booze and hookers. Same thing with the lotto funds go towards education, yet there never was an increase that could be directly tied to the lotto. It is a slight if hands.

Not hating on PP, just pointing out that the GOP isn't totally out of the ballpark on this, even if I don't exactly agree with them.

Damn, f*** I can't go back and edit without deleting everything.

"that money" in line one is the money you were using to pay your mortgage, which is now freed up.

I think the part that makes you scratch your head is that if we let people with low income and who are underprivileged have more babies that they cant afford, who is going to end up paying for them anyway.

If you have a moral problem with abortions that is your call, but you should be the one responsible for paying for that moral position, not me or the parents that didnt want the baby.

To use Tex's mortgage example:

Itd be like if a bank could force you to take a property that you didnt want, and the bank would have no responsibility for paying for the house, even though they knew you couldnt afford it.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 02:57 PM)
Planned Parenthood at Center of Budget Shutdown Threat

I like how they refer to it as the "Republican argument" instead of "blatant lie," unless it's a meta move to get "Republican argument" to be a synonym for "blatant lie".

I've corrected several people on this but people actually believe it. That's federal f***ing law and has been for decades.