James shields drawing some buzz

Whisox05

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 01:54 PM)
He's one that the Sox should definitely try to move, his peripherals absolutely suck.

i think the best plan is to 1)Trade one of Sale or Quintana OR if they don't get what they want 2) trade Shields and Gonzalez.

I don't think it would be wise to trade 3/5 of the rotation.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 01:47 PM)
Don't just give him away.

If there are actually any takers, please do just give him away. His FIP during this - ahem - hot streak is 5.07. He's allowing a .221 BABIP and his strikeout numbers would make Mark Buehrle blush. His peripherals are significantly worse than when he was sporting a shiny 3 ERA in San Diego before he went kaboom and we still traded for him anyway. He is bad now and any evidence to the contrary is a magic trick. I would gleefully welcome any opportunity to get him off the Sox.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 01:58 PM)
If there are actually any takers, please do just give him away. His FIP during this - ahem - hot streak is 5.07. He's allowing a .221 BABIP and his strikeout numbers would make Mark Buehrle blush. His peripherals are significantly worse than when he was sporting a shiny 3 ERA in San Diego before he went kaboom and we still traded for him anyway. He is bad now and any evidence to the contrary is a magic trick. I would gleefully welcome any opportunity to get him off the Sox.

And watch Chris Beck start everything 5th day? No thanks.

If they can get something useful, fine. Someone else's Erik Johnson and a low level flyer, ok. The sox have zero pitching depth, and unless they plan to unload one of Chris or Q, it is going to remain that way. Shields is getting paid by the Sox arguely less than what he is worth - so i repeat, don't just give him away.

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 01:59 PM)

If they can get something useful, fine. Someone else's Erik Johnson and a low level flyer, ok. The sox have zero pitching depth, and unless they plan to unload one of Chris or Q, it is going to remain that way. Shields is getting paid by the Sox arguely less than what he is worth - so i repeat, don't just give him away.

Who cares if Beck starts every fifth day? That would be ideal to have Beck, Turner, and Raunado in the rotation to finish the season. It gives you a chance to see whether they are players that are ever going to be of any value and if not, helps you catch the Twins and Braves in the reverse standings. If you are rebuilding, adding another type five pick to your new core of Collins, Anderson, Fulmer, and Rodon (plus whatever you pick up in deals) only can help in the long run. There is no benefit to finishing as a middle of the pack team.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 01:59 PM)

Yes. That's better than paying Shields what we still owe him.

The bolded is extremely arguable, I'm glad you acknowledge that. If a pitcher's good results have ever been smoke and mirrors in the history of baseball, it is with Shields in the last six starts. The guy is washed up.

What does that say about our GM who made that deal that we are desperately trying to unload him because of the money we took on...

That being said, if we try to compete next year, I don't mind the idea of a Sale, Q, Rodon, Fulmer, Shields rotation. But it may make sense to hold on to Gonzalez as the 5th if we can trade Shields for something decent. Save money and also probably not going to notice much difference between those 2 over the course of the year (not enough that it's worth the $ we're saving)

QUOTE (Special K @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 02:12 PM)
What does that say about our GM who made that deal that we are desperately trying to unload him because of the money we took on...

That being said, if we try to compete next year, I don't mind the idea of a Sale, Q, Rodon, Fulmer, Shields rotation. But it may make sense to hold on to Gonzalez as the 5th if we can trade Shields for something decent. Save money and also probably not going to notice much difference between those 2 over the course of the year (not enough that it's worth the $ we're saving)

Who said that? Link?

Definitely listen on both Gonzalez and Shields and trade both or one or the other for the best offer.

QUOTE (Special K @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 01:12 PM)

Tells you things didn't go according to plan.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 02:22 PM)
Tells you things didn't go according to plan.

I like the idea of holding on to 1 or both unless we get something decent. We just may given the way they've both pitching and the state of the market. (plus we quietly sneaking back to .500)

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 02:07 PM)
Who cares if Beck starts every fifth day? That would be ideal to have Beck, Turner, and Raunado in the rotation to finish the season. It gives you a chance to see whether they are players that are ever going to be of any value and if not, helps you catch the Twins and Braves in the reverse standings. If you are rebuilding, adding another type five pick to your new core of Collins, Anderson, Fulmer, and Rodon (plus whatever you pick up in deals) only can help in the long run. There is no benefit to finishing as a middle of the pack team.

It depends on what happens these next few days. If the Sox go crazy and trade everybody, fine. But I think it is highly unlikely they do that, for reasons I already explained in another thread on the main page and don't care to repeat myself - SEE POST #59 if you care to.

While admittedly remote, I happen to think the Sox still have a chance. Really all you have to do in today's game is be around .500 this time of year to have a chance. Will it take a great 2 months of ball? Absolutely. I just don't see the Sox trading Sale and Q in the next week, and if they don't do that, I see no point in trading Shields and running a Beck or Turner or Raunado out there every 5th day.

It'd be the least White Sox thing ever to trade off all their pieces right now, but maybe they've actually decided to turn the page. We'll see, but it makes much more sense to do next season or after 2017, IMO.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 02:08 PM)
Yes. That's better than paying Shields what we still owe him.

The bolded is extremely arguable, I'm glad you acknowledge that. If a pitcher's good results have ever been smoke and mirrors in the history of baseball, it is with Shields in the last six starts. The guy is washed up.

I think he's a solid #4, and paid accordingly.

If that's what we are doing, then it says he made some bad moves.

But I am hoping Hahn looks at it as an arbitrage opportunity. We acquired him when he was a mess, fixed him, and the idea is to flip him for more than we paid to get him.

Chris Cotillo

‏@ChrisCotillo

An interesting trade candidate who is drawing some buzz if the White Sox sell: James Shields. 2.53 ERA in last 6 starts, SD paying most of $

We called him mini-contract-Danks, then we were afraid he'd opt out, and now we are going to get a prospect for him, better than what we gave up. ohhhh Soxtalk :)

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Special K @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 02:25 PM)
I like the idea of holding on to 1 or both unless we get something decent. We just may given the way they've both pitching and the state of the market. (plus we quietly sneaking back to .500)

If the Sox hold onto the core pieces, I would agree. But if they move Sale and/or Quintana, there's no reason not to trade everyone IMO.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 04:46 PM)
If the Sox hold onto the core pieces, I would agree. But if they move Sale and/or Quintana, there's no reason not to trade everyone IMO.

At the very least, if they did move either of those 2, they have to move Frazier, Cabrera, and Lawrie by this offseason.