The Possibility of the Curve Ball from the Sox...

shipps

What if they decide to add by trading some of our minor league talent to add a proven talent to our current mix? Maybe they wont sell at all. The Sox may go on a run here and have Jerry believe they have a shot and decide, you know what, we can add a piece or two and be in contention. Who could they add? Much of the talk has geared away from this but its still possible.

I cant imagine this happening but stranger things have happened before.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You never know with Reinsdorf, but I really do hope we sell. But if we don't, I'd rather buy than stand pat. Doing nothing is the worst thing we could do, and I fear we'll end up doing it for 2 years in a row, especially if we keep up this hot streak.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 05:33 PM)
You never know with Reinsdorf, but I really do hope we sell. But if we don't, I'd rather buy than stand pat. Doing nothing is the worst thing we could do, and I fear we'll end up doing it for 2 years in a row, especially if we keep up this hot streak.

Doing nothing was a terrible idea last year because the White Sox had a big price player who was a free agent at the end of the season, and if he walked for nothing they'd find themselves really in need of more MLB-ready talent in 2016 (which is what happened to the letter).

This year, if they do nothing, it is not as harmful as last year because no major players leave as free agents. A couple guys have their clocks tick more and might be worth less next offseason in trades for that reason, but there's no reason to think a team won't pay a fortune for Sale or Quintana next offseason if they stand pat.

The problem, of course, is that they'll stand pat, then convince themselves that one more Rick Hahn special trade to win the offseason by bringing in a big name will finally be the move that puts them over the top, and we'll get to have this conversation again next July. That's the part where it becomes a mistake.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 04:30 PM)
What if they decide to add by trading some of our minor league talent to add a proven talent to our current mix? Maybe they wont sell at all. The Sox may go on a run here and have Jerry believe they have a shot and decide, you know what, we can add a piece or two and be in contention. Who could they add? Much of the talk has geared away from this but its still possible.

The Sox are currently in 7th place in the wild card race, 1/2 game from 8th. If Williams and Hahn want to chase these dreadful odds, then they will prove once and for all that they are to general managing what Ventura is to managing.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 04:54 PM)
Daryl Van Schouwen

‏@CST_soxvan

#WhiteSox VP Ken Williams: 'To say we’re going to be buyers or sellers or some combination, we just don’t know.'

Good stuff Kenny.

Let me help you Kenny. You are selling older, high priced pieces that are not under team control for awhile and buying prospects that project to be good hitters. P.S. Please don't offer your advice on our targets as it appears "the" Carlos Quentin is out of the league.

If we don't sell, I'm going to take a break from White Sox baseball until there are changes in the front office. Failure to sell in the ultimate seller's market when we're 6.5 games out of a playoff spot would be one of the most short-sighted decisions in franchise history. I'm trying to remain optimistic that they've finally learned that endless retooling doesn't lead to sustainable success, but with this braintrust & ownership group it's hard not to fear the worst.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 05:47 PM)
Wait, the White Sox have minor league talent? Unless it's Fulmer I don't see what could we possibly get? Is Spencer Adams and Trey Michalczewski really moving the needle for any team?

Without Fulmer and Anderson involved, I don't think they can get anyone. Maybe Jay Bruce but even he may have enough suitors (god imagine Melky being available).

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 04:54 PM)
Daryl Van Schouwen

‏@CST_soxvan

#WhiteSox VP Ken Williams: 'To say we’re going to be buyers or sellers or some combination, we just don’t know.'

Good stuff Kenny.

Oh, Kenny. You never change. To quote Buster Bluth... "It's like he gets off on being withholding."

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 06:15 PM)
The White Sox are caught in hell as they have what everyone wants, starting pitching. They have enough to win a world series. They just can't figure out how to get hitting and defense to help that out.

Their bullpen is too mediocre to win anything. Even with Putnam and Petricka they imploded.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 03:54 PM)
Daryl Van Schouwen

‏@CST_soxvan

Good stuff Kenny.

If what Williams (should have been asked how the "three year plan" is going LOL) said is true that DIRECTLY contradicts what Hahn said last week about "mired in mediocrity" and no short term rentals.

And people wonder why fans don't know who is running the show or what the long range assessment will be.

Mark