FIFA officials arrested on corruption charges; face extradition to U

Maybe Blatter won't win the election coming up in 2 days after all. One can hope.

And maybe, just maybe, this will lead to Qatar losing the 2022 WC? Please let that happen.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 27, 2015 -> 12:13 AM)
Maybe Blatter won't win the election coming up in 2 days after all. One can hope.

And maybe, just maybe, this will lead to Qatar losing the 2022 WC? Please let that happen.

I'd say you have a better chance of them postponing the election than him not winning.

Posted in the soccer thread before I saw this one.

This was one of the top stories on the local news this morning, here in a city where nobody really cares at all about soccer.

I wonder what kind of odds bookmakers would give on the 2022 WC getting moved to the US. It seems pretty likely now.

I found it pretty hilarious that they are getting extradited as well.

Everyone knows FIFA has been corrupt for so, so long, and really, change is only going to happen when Sepp Blatter goes, and unfortunately, even with this news, I don't think he'll lose on Friday.

FWIW, on 2022, if they did re-schedule Qatar, I think Australia would still have a very good chance (we had 95K see Liverpool last year and recently hosted the Asia Cup), but I don't think our country wants to go through that whole bidding process again either.

I agree that if 2022 gets yanked from Qatar, Australia or even China have a good shot if they want it. 2026 is going to be held by CONCACAF most likely.

I heard someone on a soccer show this morning say that he believes this will be like a mafia investigation, where these middle men will roll on their bosses. We'll see, but man I'd love to see Sepp and his cronies get theirs.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 27, 2015 -> 08:32 AM)
I agree that if 2022 gets yanked from Qatar, Australia or even China have a good shot if they want it. 2026 is going to be held by CONCACAF most likely.

I heard someone on a soccer show this morning say that he believes this will be like a mafia investigation, where these middle men will roll on their bosses. We'll see, but man I'd love to see Sepp and his cronies get theirs.

That's already happening. Apparently Jack Warner's sons were some of the government's key witnesses.

Whether it be in 2022 or 2026, guaranteeing the US a WC is probably going to be a necessary step in any deal any of these officials cut. The US has FIFA by the balls right now.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 27, 2015 -> 08:44 AM)
Whether it be in 2022 or 2026, guaranteeing the US a WC is probably going to be a necessary step in any deal any of these officials cut. The US has FIFA by the balls right now.

That sounds just as corrupt as what we are accusing fifa of

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 27, 2015 -> 09:44 AM)

Not even necessary. If nothing changes with the 2018/2022 WCs, the 2026 WC can not be in Europe or Asia (including Australia since they are part of the AFC now). That leaves North America, Oceania, South America and Africa. It won't be in Oceania for obvious reasons and Africa is a long shot. South America wants the 2030 WC to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the first one. That leaves CONCACAF. Mexico and Canada both want it, but realistically, I can't see it being anything other than the US or some sort of US bid with one location in Canada and/or Mexico in addition.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 27, 2015 -> 10:12 AM)
Apparently FIFA came out this morning and said neither the Qatar or Russia games will be moved.

That is what I have been reading too. If thousands of death and human rights violations don't force a move, why would money changing hands change anything?

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 27, 2015 -> 10:45 AM)

lmao. So they can be blamed for flopping in the sport too?

America cleaning up the world. The whole thing sounds a little crazy. But we'll see if the US justice system can legitimately claim jurisdiction. I see that as the biggest battle to a successful prosecution.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 27, 2015 -> 01:48 PM)
America cleaning up the world. The whole thing sounds a little crazy. But we'll see if the US justice system can legitimately claim jurisdiction. I see that as the biggest battle to a successful prosecution.

If the transactions were done on American soil, using American banks, then they absolutely have jurisdiction.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 27, 2015 -> 01:48 PM)

The main informant they have, Chuck Blazer, is American. He was heavily involved. They have jurisdiction.

The main informant they have, Chuck Blazer, is American. He was heavily involved. They have jurisdiction.

With the guilty pleas they've already accepted, the US has these guys dead to rights. Their only chance is to successfully fight extradition, though that seems unlikely.

Some, if not all of these guys will quickly cut deals that will gain the US a bunch more info on a bunch more people, and I imagine the higher targets are Blatter and the Qataris who paid the bribes.