Micah Johnson DFA

steveno89

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 10, 2017 -> 06:59 PM)
I'd take him for sure. Assuming Frazier is traded, Lawrie can shift to 3B and the Sox can give Johnson a half season tryout or whatever until Moncada is ready.

Give me Johnson over Sanchez or Leury anyday of the week.

Definitely agree with that last part. I like Garcia as a potential 25th man but that's not what Micah would be.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 10, 2017 -> 08:59 PM)
I'd take him for sure. Assuming Frazier is traded, Lawrie can shift to 3B and the Sox can give Johnson a half season tryout or whatever until Moncada is ready.

Give me Johnson over Sanchez or Leury anyday of the week.

Give me Saladino over Johnson and, as backups, give me Leury and Sanchez over Johnson since they can both play more than 1 position. The only way Johnson would make sense is if you've moved both Frazier and Lawrie, leaving 2 gaps open for tryouts.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 10, 2017 -> 07:03 PM)
Give me Saladino over Johnson and, as backups, give me Leury and Sanchez over Johnson since they can both play more than 1 position. The only way Johnson would make sense is if you've moved both Frazier and Lawrie, leaving 2 gaps open for tryouts.

Leury and Sanchez had way too many chances, they will be career backups or AAAA players, and they won't be backups for our next playoff team. Micah only has 100 AB's or so in the big leagues, way too early to write him off, and IIRC he's a notoriously slow starter and takes a while to adjust to the league level. With him, at least if you give him a season to prove himself, he might turn out to be something you can get value out of.

Just say no to Micah Johnson. Athletic like a Greek god but has the baseball IQ of a pop tart and a horrible defender. The Sox already have better options.

The Sox do not have a definitively better option than Micah Johnson at 2b or CF until July when Moncada is called up. That said I just dont think its worth the effort to bring him back into the fold, leave the past in the past.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 10, 2017 -> 09:02 PM)
The Sox do not have a definitively better option than Micah Johnson at 2b or CF until July when Moncada is called up. That said I just dont think its worth the effort to bring him back into the fold, leave the past in the past.

Saladino, Lawrie and Sanchez are all better options than Micah.Do you remember how much of a butcher Micah was at second? Beyond horrible, the stuff nightmares are made of. We're talking some seriously f***ing bad joojoo on Micah's glove and defensive footwork. The team that just DFA'd Micah is looking for a 2B. What does that tell ya?

Edited by BlackSox13

Saladino, Lawrie and Sanchez are all better options than Micah.Do you remember how much of a butcher Micah was at second? Beyond horrible, the stuff nightmares are made of. We're talking some seriously f***ing bad joojoo on Micah's glove and defensive footwork. The team that just DFA'd Micah is looking for a 2B. What does that tell ya?

Sanchez sucks, Lawrie is fine but almost assured of injury and Saladino could easily be playing 3rd if Frazier gets dealt. You want whackadoodle Everth Cabrera manning 2b after a night on the town punching cops and pounding amphetamines?

Again I dont really want Johnson just because I've been there before. So give me Everth and hope he can limit his felonious behavior.

Edited by Con te Giolito

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 10, 2017 -> 10:02 PM)

I thought we got past suggestions that Micah Johnson could play CF when we traded him. He still can't.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 10, 2017 -> 09:12 PM)

The team that DFA'd him is looking to win the World Series. We are in a place where we should take on a reclamation projects (I honestly think he's one of the best reclamation projects left in the market), playing guys like Sanchez or Leury who has not projections left is not going to help this franchise. If Micah flopped, then more L for us. If he turns it around offensively or defensively, we could get something out of him down the road.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 10, 2017 -> 10:21 PM)
Sanchez sucks, Lawrie is fine but almost assured of injury and Saladino could easily be playing 3rd if Frazier gets dealt. You want whackadoodle Everth Cabrera manning 2b after a night on the town punching cops and pounding amphetamines?

Again I dont really want Johnson just because I've been there before. So give me Everth and hope he can limit his felonious behavior.

If Evereth can cut down on the punching of cops and increase the intake of amphetamines, we might just have something

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 12:57 AM)
The team that DFA'd him is looking to win the World Series. We are in a place where we should take on a reclamation projects (I honestly think he's one of the best reclamation projects left in the market), playing guys like Sanchez or Leury who has not projections left is not going to help this franchise. If Micah flopped, then more L for us. If he turns it around offensively or defensively, we could get something out of him down the road.

I know dreams die hard man but Micah...he sucks. He's almost 27 and just put up a resounding wRC+ of 82 in AAA. In 7 games at 2B for the Dodgers, he managed a wRC+ of 14 and the dodgers almost exclusively used him as a PR, they only gave him 4 innings at 2B.

he hits like a s***ty SS and he fields like a s***ty 3B but can't actually play 3B, or any other position for that matter, other than 2B, where he has a decent arm and obviously range but zero natural baseball instinct or hands. His hands are brutal. Maybe you switch him to the OF but what does it even matter he can't hit for s*** anyways...

He's too old to take a flyer on the Sox have better, younger options already on the 40 man.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 10, 2017 -> 10:12 PM)

Tells me we could throw in Lawrie to get a deal done with them for Q! Dodgers have the system and the $ to take a leap for Q.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jan 10, 2017 -> 11:59 PM)
I know dreams die hard man but Micah...he sucks. He's almost 27 and just put up a resounding wRC+ of 82 in AAA. In 7 games at 2B for the Dodgers, he managed a wRC+ of 14 and the dodgers almost exclusively used him as a PR, they only gave him 4 innings at 2B.

he hits like a s***ty SS and he fields like a s***ty 3B but can't actually play 3B, or any other position for that matter, other than 2B, where he has a decent arm and obviously range but zero natural baseball instinct or hands. His hands are brutal. Maybe you switch him to the OF but what does it even matter he can't hit for s*** anyways...

He's too old to take a flyer on the Sox have better, younger options already on the 40 man.

Like who? Please don't say Moncada as he shouldn't be a factor until June or July at the earliest.

The more you look back at trades and signings Hahn has done the more you question why isn't this team better. Or maybe how much control he really he has to build the team to his liking. Would be interesting to see if he was let loose with no rules to spending or trades what he'd come up with.

By no means has Frazier been great and the return for him on the trade market appears to be lower than we thought, but shoot, we traded a guy who was DFA'ed. we traded Thompson -- who although fine in the field and has flashed some potential is probably suited as a fringy 3/4 OF. And Frankie Montas. Who probably has the biggest upside to his career by far. Though being traded by 2 teams in two years does raise at least some eyebrows.

To answer the question of the thread - why not? Bring him back. If he is okay being thrown into the pile heap with Lawrie, Sanchez, Cabrera, etc. then sure. Those guys are all nobodies anyways.