AAP: Trayce Thompson

• 1 month later...

MiLB's Thompson page

Thompson finished below the Mendoza line on the season, but this shouldn't come as a major shock. He wasn't going to be Ryan Sweeney and handle himself at levels well above his age. 41 K in ~113 PA is scary. As a high draft pick the Sox might push him by starting him at Kannapolis next season, but those numbers may force them to take it really slow with him.

• 3 months later...
QUOTE (gfbaseball @ Dec 31, 2009 -> 09:54 PM)
I heard Thompson was going back to Great Falls next year to be the starting center fielder. Guess we'll know in about six months.

It would seem very likely. In BA chat today Phil Rogers said he thinks Thompson will go to extended spring training and then rookie ball. He's very young so that's still expected.

• 3 months later...
QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 22, 2009 -> 04:36 PM)
As a high draft pick the Sox might push him by starting him at Kannapolis next season, but those numbers may force them to take it really slow with him.

Suck it Phil Rogers. Thompson to Kanny only a week into the season. Link Odds are still pretty good that he goes to Great Falls once their season starts up.

I forgot to post this link earlier, but a good update with video on Trayce. This guy seems to really like him.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 05:05 PM)
Suck it Phil Rogers. Thompson to Kanny only a week into the season. Link Odds are still pretty good that he goes to Great Falls once their season starts up.

I forgot to post this link earlier, but a good update with video on Trayce. This guy seems to really like him.

if he keeps hitting, he isn't going back down.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 01:23 PM)

As long as he's improving he should be kept up. He's so young it wouldn't hurt to challenge him a little. His initial K rate is very high so far but its a small sample size. Unless he goes all Juan Silverio circa 2008 on us he should finish the year out in Kanny IMO

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 12:23 PM)

Yeah, but I posted that before his first game. He could be our #1 prospect a year from now. Hudson should be graduated by then, Flowers could be. I figure I would counter my previous negativity with an absurd amount of positivity in this post.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 01:46 PM)
Yeah, but I posted that before his first game. He could be our #1 prospect a year from now. Hudson should be graduated by then, Flowers could be. I figure I would counter my previous negativity with an absurd amount of positivity in this post.

Oh I didn't even realize the post was that old, sorry.

I have to say, I didn't put Thompson as high on my prospect list as some others did, thinking his huge K rate and very, very raw baseball skills meant he had a long way to go. Looks like maybe I was wrong. We'll see if he keeps it up.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I actually love that, not only do I share the same stance with athletes screwing up their future by being around s*** like that, but also the fact that the parent is blaming his kid for the situation, and not everyone else. I love that the Dad knew that no matter what, it was up to the kid to avoid being in that situation, and he didn't do it, and therefore he wasn't going to get a free pass from him.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 7, 2011 -> 01:36 PM)
I'm greedy. I want to see both have break-out years. The talent/tools are there.

I'm sticking with my guns that Thompson winds up the better player than Mitchell.

• 5 months later...

.228/.328/.437 for Trayce in Kannapolis so far this year. Average and ISO almost identical to a year ago. K rate barely down (29.4% of PA last year, 28.4% this year). His walk rate is way up though. Not exactly the improvement everyone was hoping for, but he still has a month to show some improvement across the board.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

This AAP thread has been cold for a while, so...

Trayce was promoted to AA Birmingham yesterday. Sort of a surprise in mid-August to see a significant promotion like that. Could be because of his recent hot hitting, or could be a reward for the work, or could be to make him AA qualified for the AFL. He may return to W-S for their post-season, also.

Take a look at his splits and totals:

April: .225/.336/.404/.741, 30 K in 89 AB

May: .200/.283/.420/.703, 38 K in 100 AB

June: .255/.310/.578/.888, 29 K in 102 AB

July: .283/.339/.522/.861, 37 K in 113 AB

August: .356/.396/.489/.885, 10 K in 45 AB

Last 10 games: .400/.442/.55/.992, 8 K in 40 AB

Season totals: .254/.325/.486/.810, 144 K in 510 total PA (28.2% K rate)

Last season: .241/.329/.457/.785, 172 K in 597 total PA (28.8% K rate)

His total season was better than last year all around, and he had been getting better as the year went on. K rate is still high, but trending the right direction.

Also, while I don't know the detailed defensive metrics, he has 5 errors this year, versus 9 last year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Trayce came in 18th on Baseball America's top 20 Carolina League prospects behind Carlos Sanchez and Erik Johnson. I'm kind of surprised he slipped behind Johnson, but the national audience still seems to think his strikeouts are too big of a red flag.

• 4 months later...

I asked Mike Newman (FanGraphs prospect guy) about Thompson in a chat, and here's how he responded:

Mike Newman: Thompson is a three outcomes player, but more athletic than most. If you have read anything I've written on Bubba Starling, I think Thompson is just as talented. Is it more of a knock on Starling? Sure, but it's also meant as a compliment to Thompson considering Starling is ranked so highly.
Edited by Eminor3rd