It's about that time of the year again...

ChiliIrishHammock24

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 9, 2014 -> 01:49 AM)
Suck for draft picks or what? I think I'm there now.

At 55-62, we currently sit with the #11 pick. Only 4 or 5 GB of a top 5 pick. I think we can do it boys. BELIEVE!

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/reversestandings

Now things become quite interesting, as there's really no compelling argument why finishing in the 6th-10th position wouldn't be a lot better than finishing out of the Top 11...as that provides us not only with a higher pick/slightly higher likelihood of getting the exact player we want but also the ability to get a top free agent bat or pitcher without surrendering another high draft pick.

It would be pretty hilarious if we passed the Cubs and ended up 6th and took their player again before they could choose at 7.

Frankly, this idea doesn't turn me on as much as it did last year. I think it is far more important that the guys play well and this team wins a few more games than it would just tanking. I'm petrified of getting stuck in a cycle of badness, and if 2015 is a lost season (as some are already saying) what then? Tank the 15 season also?

Last year was the worst I think I've seen this team play, it was different then than it is now. To me this is a group on the cusp of contending, and unless we lose every game from here on out were not getting Carlos Rodon II dropped in our laps a second time around.

QUOTE (BaconOnAStick @ Aug 9, 2014 -> 12:02 PM)
Frankly, this idea doesn't turn me on as much as it did last year. I think it is far more important that the guys play well and this team wins a few more games than it would just tanking. I'm petrified of getting stuck in a cycle of badness, and if 2015 is a lost season (as some are already saying) what then? Tank the 15 season also?

Last year was the worst I think I've seen this team play, it was different then than it is now. To me this is a group on the cusp of contending, and unless we lose every game from here on out were not getting Carlos Rodon II dropped in our laps a second time around.

I don't think the internal pride of this yr players would allow them to tank.

QUOTE (BaconOnAStick @ Aug 9, 2014 -> 12:02 PM)

As far as the '15 season, there will be no guarantees the Sox get off to a start like they did this year, again. Let's say the Sox tank or this current stretch of awful defense and pitching and hitting continues through the rest of the season and the team finishes 20 below .500.

Next year, you still have the challenge of playing well in April and May to be relevant as long as the Sox were relevant this year. The cycle of badness still is hovering around no matter what Hawk says. Now if the team acquires two good starters, three good relievers and a good bat to replace Dunn and Beckham's replacement is good, who knows?

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 9, 2014 -> 01:50 PM)
I can go either way at this point. This past week has me swaying to the "Tank" side and my whole whole "Finish as best as possible to appeal to FAs" statement has me on the other side of things.

I can't see them signing a big time FA addition if they wind up with the 11th/12th pick in the draft. They have to improve that position before they'd consider it, that pick is just too valuable with where this team currently sits.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 9, 2014 -> 01:39 PM)
Now you can see where the Sox pen is valuable.

:lol:

I'm indifferent. I'm just watching them for them this year, at least until September when it's clear whether they're making the playoffs or not. If we're out of it, yeah, I'll pull for more Belisario appearances.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 9, 2014 -> 12:53 PM)
Ideally, the core players of the future will keep improving and playing well, while the guys who aren't coming back move us up in the draft order.

Yeah for my two cents, it would be much more valuable for the young core to keep moving forward, than to lose games because those guys sucked and get a better pick. It would leave Hahn to wonder who he could count on for 2015.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 9, 2014 -> 02:00 PM)
Yeah for my two cents, it would be much more valuable for the young core to keep moving forward, than to lose games because those guys sucked and get a better pick. It would leave Hahn to wonder who he could count on for 2015.

He's still not going to know with Flowers and Viciedo, no matter how they finish.

The bullpen, who knows?

At least they can get some kind of read on Semien, Sanchez, Wilkins and Avisail, although Garcia's going to be the RF/LF/DH in 2015 no matter what happens one has to believe.

I've always wanted a top ten pick again. There are really only 5 guys that matter on the current roster. Sale and Quintana are already locked up for years. Eaton is back on the DL. Abreu is a stud and locked up for six years and Garcia is in Charlotte. Nobody else on the current roster matters. Most will not be back other than some of the young bullpen guys. Losing more won't affect the future at all because the guys that are responsible for the losing suck and won't be around anyway. Those of you that want Hahn to sign a free agent that may have a QO should be rooting for losses. I don't think Hahn will give up his 2nd rounder to sign a QO free agent but he definitely won't give up his 1st rounder to sign someone.

And that's a White Sox loser!

Sox gain a game on San Diego, Texas, Cubs, Dbacks or Rockies, Red Sox, Twins, and Phillies.

Today was an amazing day for us. We gained the MAXIMUM possible games today. The only teams below us that lost, are ones that played another team below us.

Sox now sit 1/2 game out of the 10th pick, and only 4.5 GB of the Cubs for the 5th pick.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 01:44 PM)
Then what is the point of living!?!?

WHAT IS THE POINT OF LIVING!!!!!

I'm not saying you shouldn't cheer; just that you shouldn't agonize over the justification to do so, since ultimately your doing so has no bearing on the result. :)

Edited by iamshack