LLWS Thread

I personally love the LLWS and a team from Chicago made it there this year! They are from the South Side and I am looking forward to watching them more. They can flat out hit the ball and their SS and C are very good defensively

Hopefully I'm not the only one who enjoys watching the LLWS

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 10, 2014 -> 07:30 AM)
I used to watch it when I was younger but there are so many errors and wild pitches that score runs that I find it more sloppy.

They also need to move the fences back.

They are 11-13, of course there will be errors and wild pitches lol.

I do agree they need to move the fences back at least 15-20 feet. But I guess 225 is still pretty far for such young kids and I doubt they move it back anytime soon.

Edited by BigHurt3515

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 10, 2014 -> 07:30 AM)
I used to watch it when I was younger but there are so many errors and wild pitches that score runs that I find it more sloppy.

They also need to move the fences back.

I loved watching it when I was a kid, I just can't get into it now for whatever reason.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 10, 2014 -> 12:10 PM)
I'll tune in here and there, mainly to watch some brutal umpiring.

They did move the fences back not that long ago, but could probably do so again. I also think the bases and mound should open up as well.

The bases and mound are what bother me most. These kids are way too good to be playing with 60' bases and a 46' mound. It's the bases that get me the most.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 10, 2014 -> 02:16 PM)
The game isn't set up for the best. It is set up for the 99.9% of the rest.

I disagree with you there, too. I played Bronco baseball, not little league. It was a 48' mound and 70' bases for all 11 and 12 year olds. Way better than 46' and 60'. 11 and 12 year olds should not be playing on the same size field as 9 and 10 year olds.

Edited by farmteam

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 10, 2014 -> 02:16 PM)
The game isn't set up for the best. It is set up for the 99.9% of the rest.

Exactly. My 10 year old played 9u travel last year pitching from 46 feet. This year they will pitch from that distance and have lead offs, balks, and drop 3rd strikes. In in-house Pony rules even they move to lead offs and 48 feet for the pitching at 11/12. 

I'll probably watch an inning or two here and there and watch a few innings of the title game just out of curiosity. But there really isnt anything appealing in watching a bunch of middle schoolers for more than a 5-10 minute stretch.

11 and 12 year olds should not be playing on the same size field as 9 and 10 year olds.

why not? 99.9% of little leaguers arent half as good as these kids playing in the LLWS. Sure there might be a couple of stud players in a little league but for the most part they are average players and horrible players regardless of the age. I'm sure there are plenty of guys on this site who were good enough to be on their all-star team at age 10 but werent allowed to because of being too young.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Aug 10, 2014 -> 05:52 PM)
why not? 99.9% of little leaguers arent half as good as these kids playing in the LLWS. Sure there might be a couple of stud players in a little league but for the most part they are average players and horrible players regardless of the age. I'm sure there are plenty of guys on this site who were good enough to be on their all-star team at age 10 but werent allowed to because of being too young.

It's not about LLWS players vs. average players, it's about average 11-12 year old players vs. average 9-10 year old players. 11 and 12 year olds are a little bigger, a little stronger, and the pitching is substantially better. They should be on a bigger field than the 9 and 10 year olds.

Edited by farmteam

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 10, 2014 -> 08:25 PM)
I was surprised to see two girls playing in the LLWS. One of them pitched a shutout today.

Mo'ne Davis. Fastball is 70 MPH and she has a pretty sweet curve.

That's crazy for any 13 year old. I hope she keeps playing baseball.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Aug 10, 2014 -> 08:19 PM)
It's not about LLWS players vs. average players, it's about average 11-12 year old players vs. average 9-10 year old players. 11 and 12 year olds are a little bigger, a little stronger, and the pitching is substantially better. They should be on a bigger field than the 9 and 10 year olds.

Absolutely. I've umped all those age levels. 12 year olds playing on 60' is an absolute joke. Normal travel leagues around here play 70'. These are obviously travel-level games in the LLWS. The difference between a 9 year old (even a 10 year old) and a 12 year old is gigantic.

In 3 years they play at 90' for HS, yet they are at 60' 3 years before that? Doesn't make any sense. Even outside the LLWS, you're only going to make the transition much tougher for kids.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 11:44 AM)
Mo'ne Davis. Fastball is 70 MPH and she has a pretty sweet curve.

That's crazy for any 13 year old. I hope she keeps playing baseball.

She's getting a lot of attention too. Good for her and her family/friends. I wonder if she can pitch that windmill under hand like a softball pitcher as well. She is a converted outfielder and her arm is already better than Juan Pierres so..

Edited by SoxAce

Absolutely. I've umped all those age levels. 12 year olds playing on 60' is an absolute joke. Normal travel leagues around here play 70'. These are obviously travel-level games in the LLWS. The difference between a 9 year old (even a 10 year old) and a 12 year old is gigantic.

In 3 years they play at 90' for HS, yet they are at 60' 3 years before that? Doesn't make any sense. Even outside the LLWS, you're only going to make the transition much tougher for kids.

A lot of communities don't have the space and/or money to have separate facilities for the 9-10 and 11-12 age groups. The 12 year olds are going to have to continue to play on the same fields as the 9-10.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 03:44 PM)
A lot of communities don't have the space and/or money to have separate facilities for the 9-10 and 11-12 age groups. The 12 year olds are going to have to continue to play on the same fields as the 9-10.

Many fields have large dirt infields, and can be adjusted from 60 to 70 pretty easily. It doesn't require different facilities.