bmags

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 02:08 PM)
https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagraphs...s-as-braves-gm/

Wow.

Resigns apparently due to impropriety regarding their LatAm program. Considering what happened with BoSox, this must have been significantly worse, will be interesting to see what happens.

John Hart is still their President of baseball ops.

In 2016,the Braves gave Kevin Maitan $4.5 million out of Venezuela. They had multiple signings from Venezuela including a catcher named Abraham Gutierrez. He wasn't that highly regarded among the industry and Atlanta gave him $3.53 million. I've seen speculation on twitter these signings could be linked. It's common for teams to sign players from one trainer in return for signing lesser players from that same trainer. This could be really bad though.

Also, John Coppolella apparently wasn't very well liked.

Jeff Passan‏Verified account @JeffPassan 2h2 hours ago

More

Replying to @JeffPassan

Numerous issues with John Coppolella came up as the league looked into the situation. At least one anonymous complaint was filed with MLB.

12 replies 113 retweets 62 likes

More

Replying to @JeffPassan

The Braves organization has been a wasteland of infighting in recent weeks, according to numerous sources. Chaos centered around Coppolella.

More

Replying to @JeffPassan

Early on in investigation, little evidence had been found to corroborate a number of accusations levied against Coppolella, per sources.

9 replies 60 retweets 39 likes

More

Replying to @JeffPassan

MLB was looking into everything from Braves' int'l operations to its domestic draft to Coppolella's treatment of Braves employees.

9 replies 93 retweets 55 likes

More

To put it mildly, John Coppolella was not well-liked among his peers. Well-loathed would be more accurate. A lot of schadenfreude right now.

21 replies 137 retweets 163 likes

Joel Sherman‏Verified account @Joelsherman1 2h2 hours ago

More

Both Coppolella and intl head Gordon Blakeley out #Braves. Heard this about breaking MLB rules, not laws like, say,Astros computer breach

More

John Hart will assume #Braves GM role for now but rumors of #Royals GM Dayton Moore ending up where learned craft never abate

2 replies 23 retweets 26 likes

More

Talked to Coppolella other day about word within game of chaos in #Braves FO and dislike of his reign and he insisted no problems

More

This will not be a sad day in other front offices. Many execs had expressed to me displeasure in dealing with Coppolella’s #Braves

21 replies 58 retweets 85 likes

Edited by Y2JImmy0

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 02:19 PM)
In 2016,the Braves gave Kevin Maitan $4.5 million out of Venezuela. They had multiple signings from Venezuela including a catcher named Abraham Gutierrez. He wasn't that highly regarded among the industry and Atlanta gave him $3.53 million. I've seen speculation on twitter these signings could be linked. It's common for teams to sign players from one trainer in return for signing lesser players from that same trainer. This could be really bad though.

When the Red Sox did this all of their signings for that entire year were cancelled. If Maitan becomes a free agent... Yikes.

Also it would have been nice if when Dave Wilder decided to cheat and screw over the org causing almost a decades worth of futility he could have done it in the name of making the sox better not pocketing a bunch of cash for a night club.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 04:25 PM)
If Maitan was declared a free agent, would he count against international signing caps? I know that recent draft picks that were awarded free agency were completely unrestricted.

That is a great question with huge implications for the answer.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 02:25 PM)
If Maitan was declared a free agent, would he count against international signing caps? I know that recent draft picks that were awarded free agency were completely unrestricted.

God, I'd just about die of a bliss overdose if we could nab Maitan!!!

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 07:04 PM)
Great writeup

https://sports.yahoo.com/john-coppolellas-r...-230643724.html

Gotta say, today made me think twice about our LatAm performance last few years. If it was this dirty, Sox coming off wilder may have felt need to be extra clean and could have been at big disadvantage dealing with buscones.

The Braves’ troubles could extend far deeper, according to sources. The investigation remains open and is expected to look into the signing of top prospect Kevin Maitan, a 17-year-old shortstop who received a $4.25 million bonus last year. If improprieties are discovered with Maitan’s signing, he, too, could be declared a free agent, according to multiple sources.

Oh damn.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 04:25 PM)

That is an interesting question. Guess we'll have to find out in time.

If by the grace of God we get him, I better not ever hear Tatis Jr. name on this board again. :lol:

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 07:37 PM)
As a true free agent? If Robert was a $25 million free agent with all of the restrictions, I have to imagine the opening bid will be double that for Maitan, could it go nine figures?

I can't see anyone going over $75 mil, personally. Still so many questions attached despite the potential.

I would think this doesn't happen and instead they lose future rights. Seems odd just to null and void a particular player's agreement. That said, as long as the player ultimately benefits (and gets more money...which in this case he presumably would), I could see it working. If he's a free agent (and unrestricted), I would think it is pretty unlikely Sox win the bidding, but I would be a proponent in taking the chance (given our current lack of payroll). Given his age, handing out mega bucks is pretty risky as well (lots can go wrong from 17 until you reach the big leagues). No denying his potential though.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 07:57 PM)
I would think this doesn't happen and instead they lose future rights. Seems odd just to null and void a particular player's agreement. That said, as long as the player ultimately benefits (and gets more money...which in this case he presumably would), I could see it working. If he's a free agent (and unrestricted), I would think it is pretty unlikely Sox win the bidding, but I would be a proponent in taking the chance (given our current lack of payroll). Given his age, handing out mega bucks is pretty risky as well (lots can go wrong from 17 until you reach the big leagues). No denying his potential though.

With the Red Sox players, they were released from their contract from MLB but still were paid full amount from contract