Ohtani signs with the Angels

southsider2k5

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 3, 2017 -> 06:49 PM)
https://twitter.com/JamesFox917Bob NightengaleVerified account @BNightengale The Chicago #WhiteSox are also out on Ohtani 2 replies 0 retweets 1 like

I understand that the teams are the ones announcing when they are out, but how are the Cubs still in and the White Sox out?

Neither are on the West coast

Cubs are a bigger market when he wants small market

He didn't want a team that was already established

He could get DH at bats with the Sox but would have to play the field with the Cubs

We have Don freaking Cooper

I knew we were a long shot, but seeing the Cubs still in it gets me mad

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Dec 3, 2017 -> 06:52 PM)
I understand that the teams are the ones announcing when they are out, but how are the Cubs still in and the White Sox out?

He could get DH at bats with the Sox but would have to play the field with the Cubs

It's entirely possible it just hasn't leaked out yet. They could be out.

I think the Cubs are out dude, I'd imagine it would come down to M's/Giants/Padres. If the West Coast thing is so important to him, anyone outside of the Pacific TZ has no chance.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Dec 3, 2017 -> 06:59 PM)
I know they could be out already, but one reporter said the cubs are believed to be the exception to the west coast preference.

I think that is wild speculation dude. I'd actually think the WC exception may be Texas or Houston, but what do I know?

The Cubs have a lot of built in advantages that the White Sox do not.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Dec 3, 2017 -> 08:52 PM)

maybe the criteria was not correct or changed during the process.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 3, 2017 -> 08:00 PM)
Can't wait for the hot take that they wasted their money on Robert instead of going all in for Ohtani

Eh, money ain’t the driver here (see rangers/yanks), but perhaps we could have done more public overtures a la Dipoto but I doubt it would have mattered

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2017 -> 11:21 PM)
So, the Yankees are out and they have one of the top international signing pools remaining right? Those Braves kids, some of them are going to NY.

Don't get me wrong, this rebuild is the most exciting thing to happen to this franchise since 2005, but the Sox definitely have a lot of big obstacles to jump over if they are going to a world series sometime in the beginning of next decade. Those Astros are only going to get better, the Red Sox are young...but I think the Yankees are going to be the team to beat for years to come with that team they are building over there. They are going to be very hard to beat in the future when their kids develop.

QUOTE (Scoots @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 05:40 AM)
Don't get me wrong, this rebuild is the most exciting thing to happen to this franchise since 2005, but the Sox definitely have a lot of big obstacles to jump over if they are going to a world series sometime in the beginning of next decade. Those Astros are only going to get better, the Red Sox are young...but I think the Yankees are going to be the team to beat for years to come with that team they are building over there. They are going to be very hard to beat in the future when their kids develop.

Cashman has done a great job of leveraging talent and fiscal power. I can’t think of a recent example better than Chapman for any team. Acquired for relative peanuts, traded for a mint, re-acquired months later for only money and no draft picks surrendered. Quite the trick.

I believe Hahn has done an excellent job, and is as competent as any GM in the game. We were lucky to have not had him poached before his promotion. I think we have the clearest path to success in a couple years within our division, but the Yankees will be a force as well. The key is to make the playoffs and hope that you come in hot.

Yeah, seems like Seattle might be the favorite, which I’m totally ok with. Payroll wise they’re definitely not a small market team, but it doesn’t seem like their system is overflowing with talent and they aren’t exactly a powerhouse at the moment. San Diego is probably the next biggest favorite and perhaps an even better landing spot from the Sox’s perspective. Honestly, at this point, as long as the Dodgers or Cubs don’t land him I’ll be pretty happy.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 06:52 AM)
Yeah, seems like Seattle might be the favorite, which I’m totally ok with. Payroll wise they’re definitely not a small market team, but it doesn’t seem like their system is overflowing with talent and they aren’t exactly a powerhouse at the moment. San Diego is probably the next biggest favorite and perhaps an even better landing spot from the Sox’s perspective. Honestly, at this point, as long as the Dodgers or Cubs don’t land him I’ll be pretty happy.

I'm not going to lie, the Cubs being one of his finalists either makes him A. full of crap on his so called "requirements" or B. Alot of BS came out of those "sourced" preferences about his wants in a team. Kind of annoyed the Sox didn't even make the finals when we checked of most if not all his preferences yet the established,non west coast Cubs did.