5/17 Games

Ozzie Ball

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ May 17, 2015 -> 03:49 PM)
Isn't he similar to Andy Wilkins? If LaRoche or Abreu go on the DL I assume Black will be up

Not really:

- He's having a way better season than Wilkins did last year: wRC+ of 188 (and that was before today, 3/3, 3B, BB) compared to Wilkins's 142

- His skills are more of an indicator of major league success: walking more than striking out rather than a power outburst

Really starting to get excited about Trey. Won't surprise me if he is considered our best position prospect soon. Yes, even including Anderson.

He seems to have adjusted quickly to early struggles - a great sign at his age.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ May 17, 2015 -> 02:57 PM)
When does Dan Black become interesting?

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ May 17, 2015 -> 03:49 PM)
Isn't he similar to Andy Wilkins? If LaRoche or Abreu go on the DL I assume Black will be up

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ May 17, 2015 -> 05:14 PM)
Not really:

- He's having a way better season than Wilkins did last year: wRC+ of 188 (and that was before today, 3/3, 3B, BB) compared to Wilkins's 142

- His skills are more of an indicator of major league success: walking more than striking out rather than a power outburst

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 17, 2015 -> 07:23 PM)
Probably never. He's old.

It is true that Black is probably the guy to come up if Abreu or LaRoche get hurt. And he's kind of ideal for that, since the team doesn't have a true 1B prospect anywhere near ready.

Being old isn't even Black's main problem anyway. He's in terrible physical shape, and that's what scouts will immediately see. His defense at 1B is mediocre from reports I've seen - glove is fine, minimal range. He's 100% all-bat.

That said, I actually do think he could hit MLB pitching a bit. Too bad he couldn't play some other position, any other position. I'd say, barring an injury in Chicago, he doesn't see the majors this year, and probably not ever. More like a Mike Hessman type guy who destroys AAA pitching for a bunch of years acting as that "emergency" 1B and not getting a real shot.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 18, 2015 -> 07:55 AM)
It is true that Black is probably the guy to come up if Abreu or LaRoche get hurt. And he's kind of ideal for that, since the team doesn't have a true 1B prospect anywhere near ready.

Being old isn't even Black's main problem anyway. He's in terrible physical shape, and that's what scouts will immediately see. His defense at 1B is mediocre from reports I've seen - glove is fine, minimal range. He's 100% all-bat.

That said, I actually do think he could hit MLB pitching a bit. Too bad he couldn't play some other position, any other position. I'd say, barring an injury in Chicago, he doesn't see the majors this year, and probably not ever. More like a Mike Hessman type guy who destroys AAA pitching for a bunch of years acting as that "emergency" 1B and not getting a real shot.

I would be shocked if Black came up in that situation, especially with Black not being on the 40 man roster. I would envision them calling up a different position player, while having the other 1B start (Abreu if LaRoche was hurt, or vice versa) and having Connor play as the back up 1B, as we have already seen him play in late inning defensive situations this year. My guess is we would see one of Micah Johnson, Thompson, or Davidson for short stint.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 18, 2015 -> 05:55 AM)

Ouch...saw him as an invitee during spring training, he retired the side in 3 defensive plays, made contact but didn't hit that day. His body type was all over the major field, lighter than a couple of the other 1B I saw. Great team guy, every WS affiliate he laces up for wins and same thing happened in the Dominican. He caught and played third in college. He is solid and has paid his dues...IMHO

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 18, 2015 -> 01:16 AM)
It's going to take more than 6 weeks for Trey to pass a consensus Top 50-75 MILB prospect.

More like mid 2016 before that happens.

For sure, Anderson will be rated higher for the ceiling that his athleticism and playing of a MI position dictate - I think, though, that his fleas are numerous, and he's unlikely to get anywhere close to that ceiling, and I hope and pray to be wrong, but it's a combination of things that has me not super-confident. The walk rate, and the disappearance of power are scary, and yeah, he's raw, but show me a guy our system made un-raw. Where he winds up on D is still up in the air. K rate may get scary if h tries to generate more power. Too many fleas for my taste.

Trey, after looking overmatched early, has shown a lot of growth, improving power, and nothing too frightening in the stat line - while way young for the league. Have heard differing reports on D, but optimistic. I'm saying that Trey is the most likely, imo, to be a positive significant contributor at the MLB level among the position prospects

EDIT: That fielding % will need to improve, and may not be athletic enough for other valuable positions. Screw it. I don't have confidence in any of them. :P

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

I wonder if the next man up to enter or return to the rotation at this point for a spot start or injury (Baltimore double header?) will be Noesi, Drabek or Beck? - the latter 2 pitching well, Noesi already on the 25. I'd rather see one of them instead of Hector, I think.

What say you?

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ May 18, 2015 -> 11:47 AM)
I wonder if the next man up to enter or return to the rotation at this point for a spot start or injury (Baltimore double header?) will be Noesi, Drabek or Beck? - the latter 2 pitching well, Noesi already on the 25. I'd rather see one of them instead of Hector, I think.

What say you?

Drabek is no longer on the 40 man roster, so I would kind of doubt him.

QUOTE (fanNaz @ May 18, 2015 -> 10:44 AM)
Ouch...saw him as an invitee during spring training, he retired the side in 3 defensive plays, made contact but didn't hit that day. His body type was all over the major field, lighter than a couple of the other 1B I saw. Great team guy, every WS affiliate he laces up for wins and same thing happened in the Dominican. He caught and played third in college. He is solid and has paid his dues...IMHO

Don't misunderstand - this isn't personal thing. I've spoken with Dan before, he seems like a great guy. And like I said, dude can hit - not even a question there. This is just about this chances at making the majors, which are very slim. Not zero, mind you - just very slim.

My honest opinion is, he's the perfect profile to play in Japan. His bat would play huge there especially in the smaller parks, his patience will help him against all the junkballers, he's got some personality, and he's proven he can rake against equivalent pitching. He could probably make good money over there and carve out a career.