The holes of the system:shortstop and catcher

Dominikk85

System is fantastic now but those two key positions which probably are the two most popular important non pitcher positions are still pretty barren.

Especially at the critical shortstop position there is absolutely nothing, none of the sox top20 is a shortstop which is very unusual for a farm system as shortstops are usually the most desired prospects since they can stay at shortvor cover every other if position.

But catcher is actually not that much better despite collins. Collins is their only c prospect of note and scouts don't love him at c plus his bat has not progressed as advertised.

How can the sox combat those holes? I think you can trade for a c but shortstop should be filled internally because a good shortstop is so expensive and hard to find. Also they probably need another if spot to be filled too.

They have anderson and he could improve but his low power, low walks, high k profile is not so favourable.

In the draft you should go bpa but if it is close the sox should definitely look for a shortstop and maybe a catcher.

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 02:46 AM)
System is fantastic now but those two key positions which probably are the two most popular important non pitcher positions are still pretty barren.

Especially at the critical shortstop position there is absolutely nothing, none of the sox top20 is a shortstop which is very unusual for a farm system as shortstops are usually the most desired prospects since they can stay at shortvor cover every other if position.

But catcher is actually not that much better despite collins. Collins is their only c prospect of note and scouts don't love him at c plus his bat has not progressed as advertised.

How can the sox combat those holes? I think you can trade for a c but shortstop should be filled internally because a good shortstop is so expensive and hard to find. Also they probably need another if spot to be filled too.

They have anderson and he could improve but his low power, low walks, high k profile is not so favourable.

In the draft you should go bpa but if it is close the sox should definitely look for a shortstop and maybe a catcher.

Leury, Saladino, kid we just got from Texas (#17) for J2 intl money and Hanson but his arm is short there, like Yolmer...

I think the catcher spot is in pretty decent shape. I think people are overreacting to Collins' poor batting average. I'm going to wait and see where he is this time next year before I panic. He may have to work on correcting that hitch, but I do think that is fixable whereas a lack of plate discipline would much more difficult to fix. After Collins, you got interesting guys in Zavala, Skoug, Perez, & Alfaro amongst a few others.

SS is definitely a concern area. Yrizarri has some potential, but also some big red flags. Curbelo & Nunez are both exciting prospects, but haven't even hit full season ball and may not even stick. My hope is we can somehow land an elite SS prospect in next year's draft like Bryce Turang. I'm not giving up on Anderson yet, but we really do need a backup plan for him.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

Yeah I disagree on catcher.

For one, no org that I've seen is STOCKED with sure catchers. But everything behind Collins is where our depth is. Skoug, Alfaro, Zevala, Perez, Hickman. More interesting than it's been in a while.

SS I totally agree but I think we see a pretty good shortstop enter the system around June next year.

I think the A+ catchers are both interesting and have future ML potential. I think people are unreasonably down on Collins right now because he's not hitting in the .250 range, but if the reports on his defense are true, that combined with low BABIP is a very reasonable explanation. As for SS, there's still a chance Tim Anderson becomes what he looked like throughout the minors, and I'd be surprised if in the next 2 drafts, the White Sox didn't pick a SS with one of these picks, which will certainly fill that organizational hole.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 12:20 PM)
From a minor league depth perspective, I'm not sure there's too many organizations in a better spot than the Sox when it comes to catcher.

Hell, count Omar in there as he should really only be entering AAA by this point.

The Sox have legitimate catching prospects and the fact that Collins is seemingly developing well defensively makes me happy enough to offset his disappointing average.

QUOTE (reiks12 @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 04:54 PM)
SS will be solved when we have the first pick of 2018 :^)

Brice Turang would be a really good pick. I've seen multiple articles saying there are 7 or 8 guys who would be the best player in the 2017 draft that are in the 2018 draft.

It's a good year for us to be tanking.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 05:21 PM)
The Phillies are so bad, I don't think we can catch them. Giants, on the other hand, hopefully with MadBum, they play a little better.

I think we will catch them. We are only beginning our suck. They have gone through the worst IMO. unlikely they even shed many pieces.

For now, concentrate on defense. No chance if those 2 positions aren't defensively sound. You can win without offense from them (if your other 7 can it).

And they become available....you just have to be ready to pounce.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Quin @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 09:34 PM)
Hell, count Omar in there as he should really only be entering AAA by this point.

The Sox have legitimate catching prospects and the fact that Collins is seemingly developing well defensively makes me happy enough to offset his disappointing average.

Still waiting to hear anyone not affiliated with the Sox say that Collins looks better on defense. In a recent chat, KLaw said he has heard absolutely nothing about Collins improving

I like our catching depth in the low minors, if Hahn was able to move Avi for Kelly I wouldn't be opposed at all. Catchers and their development are weird. I see three catchers in our top 30 with Zavala and Skoug rounding it out.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 03:36 PM)
Still waiting to hear anyone not affiliated with the Sox say that Collins looks better on defense. In a recent chat, KLaw said he has heard absolutely nothing about Collins improving

Off topic, but that dude's newsletters or emails or whatever are such a waste of time...does he ever actually say anything about baseball?

One of them was all about his prescription anti-anxiety medication.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 10:56 PM)
Off topic, but that dude's newsletters or emails or whatever are such a waste of time...does he ever actually say anything about baseball?

One of them was all about his prescription anti-anxiety medication.

Only view his chats

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 05:36 PM)

There's numbers that back up his improvement as well.

QUOTE (southside guru @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 03:34 PM)
The Kanny kids can play SS! Both Massey and Roman are capable...as much as Flete and Yrizzari are.

Their K rates are horrendous, however!

Seriously? I don't think Massey or Roman have ML ceilings. If those are the two you use as a response to "we have a hole at SS", then that pretty much confirms that indeed we do.

Massey is 25, was a 26th round pick and is currently in Low-A not exactly tearing it up. He looks like a definite org guy to me.

Roman is probably more of a fringey prospect, considering he's age appropriate for level (22 in Low-A) and was drafted in the 12th round. He seems to be doing okay in Kanny, but nothing crazy.

While hardly top prospects, the first SS that come to mind for me are: Amado Nunez (long ways off), Johan Cruz (not doing well in W-S), Danny Mendick (has been playing more 2B than SS this year), Luis Curbelo (long ways off, might not stick at SS), Eddy Alvarez (probably AAAA/utility type) and Jake Peter (utility, not pure SS).

Not a great bunch, but a couple lottery ticket types and some utility guys. It'd definitely be nicer to have more depth at SS system wide.