Germanwings (Lufthansa) plane crashes into Alps

LittleHurt05

Press conference going on right now, it looks like the co-pilot purposely crashed the plane, some scary stuff. (from breakingnews.com)

GERMANWINGS PLANE CRASH, MARCH 2015

11m

French prosecutor: Co-pilot, alone at the controls of Germanwings flight, was conscious until impact - @AP

German co-pilot of Germanwings flight appears to have crashed plane deliberately, French prosecutor says -

French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appeared to want to 'destroy the plane' - @AP

French prosecutor: 'Alarms were triggered to tell the crew how close the land was' and 'then we hear violent blows as to break down the door' - live video

French prosecutor: Pilot was 'not on a list of terrorists, at all' - live video

In final minutes of flight, co-pilot refused to open door and 'didn't say a single word,' French prosecutor says - @BBCBreaking

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 07:01 AM)
Press conference going on right now, it looks like the co-pilot purposely crashed the plane, some scary stuff. (from breakingnews.com)

I was watching part of the press conference and a lot of journalists were trying to get the religion of the co-pilot, obviously wanting to see if he was Muslim. As if only Muslims people are capable of being deranged...

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 07:17 AM)
I was watching part of the press conference and a lot of journalists were trying to get the religion of the co-pilot, obviously wanting to see if he was Muslim. As if only Muslims people are capable of being deranged...

The co-pilot's name was Andreas Lubitz, which sounds as German and non-Muslim as you can get.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 08:32 AM)
Just a terrible thing. This entire plane probably knew their fates, and they were 5-10 feet from being able to save themselves if not for a lock designed to protect them.

Apparently this wasn't all that rapid of a descent so it's plausible that cabin might not have known what was going on.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 07:50 AM)
Apparently this wasn't all that rapid of a descent so it's plausible that cabin might not have known what was going on.

They knew at some point, as it sounds like the other pilot was pounding on the door and possibly trying to knock through it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 07:50 AM)

The prosecutor said that screams were only heard moments before the crash, so hopefully the passengers didn't know until the last second.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 08:35 AM)
I dont know much about avionics.... Is it possible the co-pilot passed out onto the steering wheel (whatever the aviation version is called) and it caused the plane to go down?

they are saying that the way the plane descended could only be intentional

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 08:57 AM)
hmm..... ok. I wonder if there is some semi-auto pilot that has to be deactivated for rapid descents.

The descent was anymore rapid than a normal descent. I think it was on auto pilot the whole time, the co-pilot just set the altitude for very, very low.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 08:57 AM)
hmm..... ok. I wonder if there is some semi-auto pilot that has to be deactivated for rapid descents.

It sounds like the only way for the door to stay locked out so that the other pilot can't even get in with a code, is for the person inside to manually put it into a special locking status. Also the descent would have to be intentional. Seems extremely unlikely both were done by accident.

^ Yeah, no overriding a dead bolt... I think the people had to have known something wasn't right- they had only just reached their cruising altitude, before beginning a continuous descent in a mountainous region.

This isn't the first time that the post-9/11 reinforced cockpit door was used against the plane itself. LAM Flight 470 is known to have been just that, Malaysian 370 likely but not confirmed.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 11:14 AM)
Maybe they should have it so there is never just one person in the cockpit at a time. When a pilot leaves a Flight attendant has to go in.

I believe that's actually the law in the USA, but not in Europe. (I'm not 100% sure, but I think I read that today)

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 10:58 AM)
Maybe they need to allow air marshals to have a deadbolt release on the cockpit door for emergencies.

Then in theory the air marshal could be forced to allow in a terrorist.

I'm not certain what a flight attendant may have done besides getting killed faster by a pilot wishing harm on the aircraft.

I realize this could be taken in a manner I did not intend. What I mean is the pilot would just shoot/stab/strangle the flight attendant before they could unlock the door.

Edited by Tex
Clarification

Here's where I think this sort of thing leads... we already, right now, have the technology to fly these planes remotely. Takeoff to landing. I think we'll soon see the day when that becomes the norm - planes flown from the ground - with just one pilot on the plane as the emergency backup plan (as opposed to now, with two pilots, one as backup).

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 11:22 AM)
I believe that's actually the law in the USA, but not in Europe. (I'm not 100% sure, but I think I read that today)

Yep. As a frequent flyer who will grab the first row seats on a Southwest flight if they're available, I've seen this happen several times. One pilot comes out to use the restroom, one of the flight attendants goes into the cockpit and locks the door behind.

Wonder if this lets the airline evade liability. If this dude was hiding his medical condition from the employer, and he committed a crime, not sure how you can hold the airline liable for the crash. Obviously the families will sue under a theory that their protocols were not sufficient. I suppose that could be enough.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 10:08 AM)
Lubitz had past bouts with depression and was currently trying to hide an "illness" from his employers.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32087203

Just to stress since lots of the garbage media is ignoring this; most people with depression, even most pilots with depression, do not crash planes into mountains. Most people do not have to inform their employers about personal issues or illnesses or even mental problems.