What is Blake Rutherford's upside?

KnightsOnMintSt

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (KnightsOnMintSt @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 04:50 PM)
He seems like a tough guy to put a finger on. He is still relatively young in the sense that he was drafted just last year. However, he is 20. Some people are unimpressed with his power. What do we think he can and will become?

Who knows, I did read he had comps to David Justice although I don't see it myself.

That is a lofty comparison but how about bobby abreu? I read great things about his hitting ability and also his batting eye.

Body and arm project for a corner rather than cf and if his hit tool and plate discipline really developes and he also developes like 20 hr power that could be a great hitter. He probably won't walk as much as abreu (few did) but if he can hit 300 with 10% walks and slightly above average power that would be great.

The closest comp to him I see on this thread is probably younger Markakis...I think Sizemore is too fast for Rutherford and Abreu/Heyward have too much pop

I'm not too big on Rutherford but I suppose his ceiling is a 15-20 homer/.280 guy with 10-15 steals, RF of course...I just don't see him on our future Series roster, Clarkin on the other hand I could see as a backend of the rotation guy or 'pen piece at worst and Polo has a ceiling of a backup OFer, both closer to the Show

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 09:07 AM)
The closest comp to him I see on this thread is probably younger Markakis...I think Sizemore is too fast for Rutherford and Abreu/Heyward have too much pop

I'm not too big on Rutherford but I suppose his ceiling is a 15-20 homer/.280 guy with 10-15 steals, RF of course...I just don't see him on our future Series roster, Clarkin on the other hand I could see as a backend of the rotation guy or 'pen piece at worst and Polo has a ceiling of a backup OFer, both closer to the Show

If he is actually a .280/20/15sb guy it won't matter if he's our WS roster guy, he may be the reason we some other roster series pieces.

Just watching some videos on him and I think its pretty obvious he has a long way to go with that swing. He has to shorten it up a bunch, its long and he seems to be off balance on a lot of stuff even when he connects. Not gonna have any power when you are off balance.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 10:29 AM)
If he is actually a .280/20/15sb guy it won't matter if he's our WS roster guy, he may be the reason we some other roster series pieces.

Obviously rooting for the kid but I don't see him putting it together, still far from the show and has very little to get excited about, not sure why he's ranked so high

With that said, Moniak, the first pick of '16 and a HS OFer has even less inspiring numbers in the same league, Rutherford is older however by a year

Still wish JR ate some money on D-Rob and took a package with Mateo or Andujar or even busted knee Fowler, we'll see though, really rooting for Rutherford

Still a fan of Clarkin (who I think is a legitimate back end rotation guy) and Polo (who I think can be a valuable backup OF)

I wouldn't say there's nothing to get excited about. He is only striking out 18% of the time, and walking a little over 8% of the time. The glaring part is power. And he is hitting doubles, he doesn't appear to be hitting a Collins amount of groundballs either.

It is just power. But if the power never comes he's useless. But it'd be worse if it was no power, no discipline.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 09:12 AM)
Rutherfords upside is a guy who hits .280/30 HR/20 SB and plays elite RF.

Not sure he gets there, but that is what you should get if he were to hit his ceiling.

This reminds me of Hawk talking about Avi's ceiling. Too optimistic.

QUOTE (Quin @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 10:17 AM)
That's reasonable for ceiling. Whether he comes close is another matter.

Based on fangraphs present and future value of his tools, it's hard to project 30/20 with elite defense, even if we're talking about pure ceiling.

I think .300 20 HR 10 SB with above average corner outfield defense is more likely his ceiling.

QUOTE (yesterday333 @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 10:23 AM)
I don't like talking about ceilings... very few players ever reach their ceiling. It is a better discussion to talk about what he is likely to become.

Well since he is in A ball, what he is likely to become is something between his floor and his ceiling, so it's pretty damn impossible to know that.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 10:47 AM)
Tell us EXACTLY!

Think about a combination of Shaquille O'Neal and Joe Montana. Then imagine said combo grabbing a baseball bat and walking to the plate. Imagine them taking a few swings and how far they'd hit the ball.

This is not what Blake Rutherford's upside is, but I'm guessing you have some weird thoughts going through your head right now, and I'm happy.