Red Sox to sign Rusney Castillo

Jose Abreu

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Jul 19, 2014 -> 12:54 PM)
Sounds like Adam Eaton... except Adam Eaton is earning league minimum and Castillo will sign a free agent contract at age 27.

Pass.

I thought Castillo had plus power? So not Adam Eaton

I would gladly take him, put him in CF or RF depending on who among him and Eaton rates better defensively and move Garcia to LF where his arm is still an asset but with two CFers patrolling center and right his defense could be covered up a bit.

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jul 19, 2014 -> 02:29 PM)
I'll trust the Sox's judgement, but generally improving our talent level, especially in the outfield sounds good to me.

I see it the same way. Would be interesting to see what kind of hell he and Eaton could raise at the top of the order. I'm curious as to just how serious the Sox interest is. Guess we will find out soon enough.

I am going to be real and say I don't know a god damn thing about this kid so...if we get him, I hope he's good, and if we don't, I hope he goes to the Cubs for a very high price and then sucks ass

From what I've read he started as a utility infielder backing up and 3rd and 2nd base. Most likely wasn't very good so moved to the outfield . Not an on base guy at all and didn't hit very well in his last year in Cuba. He right handed and has decent pop for his size. I've seen reports on his size from 5'8" 170 to 5'9" 200 but reports are he's short and muscular and carries it well.

He might not be an instant major leaguer. The Sox probably won't pursue him that hard. I'm going to guess he signs a 4 yr /$10-15 M contract without knowing much at all about him. If he was left handed Sox might be more interested.

Wonder how much Despaigne will fetch on the open market, when/if he's declared eligible...?

By all accounts, he's the best, most-polished hitter out there among the Cubans. Moncada is the most interesting younger prospect, along with Tomas.

Frederich Cepeda at 34/35 is just a bit too old.

Gourriel's closing in on too old, although there would still be a lot of legit interest if he ever became available.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 08:08 PM)
For years I have wondered if The US had normal relations with Cuba, if there would have been a major league franchise in Havanna.

I'm not sure their economy would support it...maybe?

Because San Juan, Puerto Rico has never been considered seriously to my knowledge, except for exhibition/WBC games.

Mexico City would probably make more sense, except from a travel standpoint.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 19, 2014 -> 04:30 PM)
I am going to be real and say I don't know a god damn thing about this kid so...if we get him, I hope he's good, and if we don't, I hope he goes to the Cubs for a very high price and then sucks ass

This. Except replace the Cubs with all other 29 clubs. (I'm not living in Chicago, so I say F the Cubs like I say F any other team). If he's great and we get him, great. If he turns out to be a flop, let him be someone else's flop. If only it were that easy...

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 02:57 AM)
I'm not sure their economy would support it...maybe?

Because San Juan, Puerto Rico has never been considered seriously to my knowledge, except for exhibition/WBC games.

Mexico City would probably make more sense, except from a travel standpoint.

their local economy would never be able to support something like that. however, I wonder if US had normal

relations cuba could become the next vegas and maybe with the tourist number, it might help out, but still

to fully support ...... nope.

like you said maybe exhibition games and such.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 09:37 PM)
their local economy would never be able to support something like that. however, I wonder if US had normal relations cuba could become the next vegas and maybe with the tourist number, it might help out, but still to fully support ...... nope. like you said maybe exhibition games and such.

Think of the issues the Marlins have with attendance, or the TB Rays (of course, there are other reasons like stadiums and ownership issues).

Phoenix/Arizona does okay, and Las Vegas for a minor league team, but the "touristic" type cities (Atlantic City would be another, although you already have the Mets and Yankees, so a 3rd NJ team wouldn't make sense) struggle to support their teams, where quite a large percentage of the population spends more time there October-March.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 08:07 PM)
Wonder how much Despaigne will fetch on the open market, when/if he's declared eligible...?

By all accounts, he's the best, most-polished hitter out there among the Cubans. Moncada is the most interesting younger prospect, along with Tomas.

Frederich Cepeda at 34/35 is just a bit too old.

Gourriel's closing in on too old, although there would still be a lot of legit interest if he ever became available.

From everything I read, it does not seem like Depsaigne has any interest in playing in the US. His family is supposedly very involved in the Cuban government. Despaigne is heading to Japan next I believe as part of the loosening of restrictions to allow Cuban players to play in other countries.

Moacada unfortunately will end up with the Yankees as he counts against the international signing bonus limit and they will not likely have much competition.