"Relic" Reinsdorf takes a direct shot from Passan

caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 10:15 AM)

The article refers to Reinsdorf and his plans a "rich guy" politics and billionaire myopia." Does he realize that all of the owners are rich guys or corporations? He also refers to Reinsdorf as old school and out of date. Reinsdorf want a salary cap. Last I checked this is a new idea that all other professional sports have adopted. The cost control on salaries may be why the other leagues like basketball and NFL are passing the MLB by.

Reinsdorf is actually right in wanting a salary cap cause owners are such buffoons they never will stop paying players exorbitant salaries. Pretty soon the average cost of a ticket will be about 100 or more bucks a game which will continue to make baseball a dying sport. It never was designed to be such an elitist game. Say what you want about me being out of touch regarding costs of the fan, but it's true. The average Joe has truly written off going to baseball games. Too much other stuff to do in the summer and it's not worth the cost, especially with games becoming more boring than ever (pitching changes, no steroid induced monster home runs; except from Tyler Flowers....boom minus the steroids!)

To get a salary cap, and a shot at sanity, however, they'd have to shut down baseball for 3-4 years then start over once players would be willing to cross the picket lines and play again. A work stoppage of 3-4 years wouldn't help this dying game, either. Only way to keep down salaries is owner collusion and the owners just won't stop paying.

Owners are out of touch, ego-stricken buffoons, though, and I'm glad this writer called out Jerry and some others. Doesn't hurt to have their billionaire egos blasted a bit.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 08:33 PM)
Reinsdorf is actually right in wanting a salary cap cause owners are such buffoons they never will stop paying players exorbitant salaries. Pretty soon the average cost of a ticket will be about 100 or more bucks a game which will continue to make baseball a dying sport. It never was designed to be such an elitist game. Say what you want about me being out of touch regarding costs of the fan, but it's true. The average Joe has truly written off going to baseball games. Too much other stuff to do in the summer and it's not worth the cost, especially with games becoming more boring than ever (pitching changes, no steroid induced monster home runs; except from Tyler Flowers....boom minus the steroids!)

To get a salary cap, and a shot at sanity, however, they'd have to shut down baseball for 3-4 years then start over once players would be willing to cross the picket lines and play again. A work stoppage of 3-4 years wouldn't help this dying game, either. Only way to keep down salaries is owner collusion and the owners just won't stop paying.

Owners are out of touch, ego-stricken buffoons, though, and I'm glad this writer called out Jerry and some others. Doesn't hurt to have their billionaire egos blasted a bit.

good post Greg.

i agree in most part,

1. the league will soon be pricing them selves out of a fan base following. fans today in most cases

can not pay for 3-4 tickets for a family nite out at the ball park - game thicket $, food, parking. the tv

will be a cheap second to watch a game. except for the die hard fans, not that many of the family

will sit down an watch a game. the young kids would rather go out.

2. the prices for some of the fa's this yr is going to be crazy. can you imagine what Jose A. will require

to resign with the sox???

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 02:14 PM)
good post Greg.

i agree in most part,

1. the league will soon be pricing them selves out of a fan base following. fans today in most cases

can not pay for 3-4 tickets for a family nite out at the ball park - game thicket $, food, parking. the tv

will be a cheap second to watch a game. except for the die hard fans, not that many of the family

will sit down an watch a game. the young kids would rather go out.

2. the prices for some of the fa's this yr is going to be crazy. can you imagine what Jose A. will require

to resign with the sox???

Which is why they have a five year window after 2014 to get it done...realistically, more like four, 2015-2018.

At the end of this six-year contract, Abreu will be 33 and declining, so it was actually perfect timing on the part of the White Sox to have him close to cost-controlled and in his prime career years.

Picking up Abreu at 33 would be similar to the situation the Angels now are in with Pujols.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 16, 2014 -> 10:42 AM)
Which is why they have a five year window after 2014 to get it done...realistically, more like four, 2015-2018.

At the end of this six-year contract, Abreu will be 33 and declining, so it was actually perfect timing on the part of the White Sox to have him close to cost-controlled and in his prime career years.

Picking up Abreu at 33 would be similar to the situation the Angels now are in with Pujols.

I like what you said and good point.

however I missed on the point I was trying to make. lets assume for this discussion, Jose A is a free agent,

can anybody imagine what it will cost to keep him. again without any factors taken into accord, like age and

stat adjustment.

let me go further and use det and their pitching free agent, 30 mil a yr. the cap is needed per my opinion,

b/c the game will price themselves out of the main core of fans, us (those who have to work for a living).

That article had very little substance. He never explained why Reinsdorf opposed Manfred.

We've heard previously that Reinsdorf was opposed to the way Manfred was being chosen, which was by Selig choosing his successor by backchanneling and torpedoing other candidates. That's why he had raised a stink before. Being opposed to Rob Manfred does not necessarily mean Reinsdorf is greedy - though he probably is. As a matter of fact, I'm sure all 30 of those guys are greedy. There's nothing revolutionary here.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 16, 2014 -> 08:07 AM)
That article had very little substance. He never explained why Reinsdorf opposed Manfred.

We've heard previously that Reinsdorf was opposed to the way Manfred was being chosen, which was by Selig choosing his successor by backchanneling and torpedoing other candidates. That's why he had raised a stink before. Being opposed to Rob Manfred does not necessarily mean Reinsdorf is greedy - though he probably is. As a matter of fact, I'm sure all 30 of those guys are greedy. There's nothing revolutionary here.

Just that general idea that Manfred is too conciliatory and a "deal maker," whereas Reinsdorf wanted a commissioner more likely to fight the union, try to establish a salary cap, etc.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 10:22 AM)
The article refers to Reinsdorf and his plans a "rich guy" politics and billionaire myopia." Does he realize that all of the owners are rich guys or corporations? He also refers to Reinsdorf as old school and out of date. Reinsdorf want a salary cap. Last I checked this is a new idea that all other professional sports have adopted. The cost control on salaries may be why the other leagues like basketball and NFL are passing the MLB by.

In some areas MLB tickets are up their with the NFL and NBA. That casual fan will opt for the latter.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 04:06 PM)
In some areas MLB tickets are up their with the NFL and NBA. That casual fan will opt for the latter.

In Chicago that is no where close to the case for the White Sox. They are BY FAR the cheapest major league sport to attend in Chicago.