I have always under valued Quintana.

shipps

I admit it. I have always thought of him as more of a piece to trade for someone else who we think may be slightly better. I thought of him as just guy no matter what numbers he has put up. This was a stupid assessment for sure. I am an idiot who doesn't watch enough baseball to have a valid opinion. Jose is exactly what any winning team needs. A solid lefty starter with above average stuff (for a lefty), good control, and a great baseball IQ. If he had any run support at all in his career he would be given way more credit. Don't trade him. I recognize him now for what he is. We need him for a championship future.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 03:11 PM)
His extension was such a HUGE move for Hahn.

You have to love having a legitimate ace (Sale) and a legitimate #2 starter (Quintana) locked up to long term below market value deals. If Rodon comes close to living up to the hype we will have 3 fantastic pieces to the rotation that are all relatively cheap for through at least 2019.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 03:15 PM)
You have to love having a legitimate ace (Sale) and a legitimate #2 starter (Quintana) locked up to long term below market value deals. If Rodon comes close to living up to the hype we will have 3 fantastic pieces to the rotation that are all relatively cheap for through at least 2019.

Sox have some key pieces who are still young. But they need about 3 more starters besides Rodon, a couple of infielders, 2 outfielders, a catcher, and a couple of bullpen pitchers better than they have now.

Some answers may be in the minors, they could sign a couple of free agents, and they could probably upgrade 2-3 positions if they trade Danks and Alexei. But this is a 75 win team right now.

I definitely thought his 2012 was a fluke after that season but then his stuff seemingly got better and he just kept getting better. As others have said, it's beyond awesome to have him and Sale locked up at below market level deals.

I always kind of thought that Quintana was a bit of a fluke and kept waiting for him to return to the norm. It turns out, this is the norm! Hell of a pickup by the Sox, it would be fun to make the playoffs and have Sale & Q as your first two pitchers.

I knew he was good, but reading a Yahoo Fantasy article that mentioned him tonight shocked me with HOW good he's been...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/fantasy-roto...-030416000.html

Over his last six starts, Jose Quintana has a 1.79 ERA and 0.86 WHIP with 40 strikeouts over 40.2 innings. His ERA and WHIP have improved all three years he’s been in the league, leaving him with a 3.52 and 1.25 mark over 460.2 innings, which is especially impressive considering U.S. Cellular Field has increased home runs by 38 percent for right-handed batters over the past three seasons, which is by far the most in MLB. Since the beginning of last year, Quintana’s 7.1 WAR is tied for No. 10 among all pitchers in baseball. He’s been the No. 28 ranked fantasy player over the past month…

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 04:39 PM)
Sox have some key pieces who are still young. But they need about 3 more starters besides Rodon, a couple of infielders, 2 outfielders, a catcher, and a couple of bullpen pitchers better than they have now.

Some answers may be in the minors, they could sign a couple of free agents, and they could probably upgrade 2-3 positions if they trade Danks and Alexei. But this is a 75 win team right now.

They would go to a 6 man rotation?

QUOTE (woods of ypres @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 09:59 PM)
Quintana's BABIP has stayed pretty flat too (infact, its the highest of his career this year), so this isn't some sort of lucky year, either.

Ha, it's hard to say that his career with the Sox has been anything but unlucky.

I don't mind calling myself out when I am wrong, and in Q's case, I was wrong. I REALLY wanted him to be traded during the year last season, and then again in the offseason. Really thought he was peaking and didn't see it being sustained. Would have never predicted this 2014 season in the slightest.

I was wrong. Q seems to be the real deal.

QUOTE (woods of ypres @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 09:59 PM)
Quintana's BABIP has stayed pretty flat too (infact, its the highest of his career this year), so this isn't some sort of lucky year, either.

He's getting lucky with home runs, 5.4% per fly ball compared to 10.2% last year and 10.5% the year before. Those tend to regress towards career average, so we should expect him to start giving up more dingers. On the other hand, he's stranding a few less runners than normal, 69.3%, compared to 76.6% last year and 74.7% the year before. LOB% is also something that tends to regress towards career average. Overall his ERA is probably about right, maybe a touch lower than it should be, but certainly nothing that screams unsustainable.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 12:00 AM)
He's getting lucky with home runs, 5.4% per fly ball compared to 10.2% last year and 10.5% the year before. Those tend to regress towards career average, so we should expect him to start giving up more dingers. On the other hand, he's stranding a few less runners than normal, 69.3%, compared to 76.6% last year and 74.7% the year before. LOB% is also something that tends to regress towards career average. Overall his ERA is probably about right, maybe a touch lower than it should be, but certainly nothing that screams unsustainable.

I really don't think Q's been around long enough to have "career average" in anything yet.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 03:16 AM)
I really don't think Q's been around long enough to have "career average" in anything yet.

Maybe not but when league average is 10.6% and his first two years were 10.5% and 10.2% I think it's probably safe to say 5.4% is the outlier.

Same with Chris Sale, his HR/FB has been 11.1%, 10.9%, 11.6%, 12.5% and this year it's 6.2%. That should rise.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 05:04 PM)
I don't understand how a pitcher can continue to get so unlucky. Why would sox be better against the #1s Sale faces than the #2s Q faces offensively? Why would this be such a long-term trend?

I don't understand how he is getting unl...OH YOU MEAN WINS AND LOSSES. Wins and losses are silly.

Either way, Quintana was the Sox #1 starter out of the break in the second half, and those matchups rarely hold true what with off days and the like anyways.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 05:10 PM)
I definitely thought his 2012 was a fluke after that season but then his stuff seemingly got better and he just kept getting better. As others have said, it's beyond awesome to have him and Sale locked up at below market level deals.

I spent his entire first two years waiting for him to morph into a fifth starter. Then I learned to love the Serpent.

I like Quintana a lot, but I would move in the right deal tomorrow. The Cardinals are looking for a SP and are said to be looking at all options, a deal for a few of their ML ready guys would really push this team through the rebuild and into contention next season. The return would be crazy high to get a deal done but I would be receptive to dealing him.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 02:15 PM)
I don't understand how he is getting unl...OH YOU MEAN WINS AND LOSSES. Wins and losses are silly.

Either way, Quintana was the Sox #1 starter out of the break in the second half, and those matchups rarely hold true what with off days and the like anyways.

blah blah blah, it's annoying to have a great pitcher that your team never wins when he pitches for some bizarre and sustained reason. It be nice to be like "oh, Q's pitching, automatic win". Instead it's "oh, Q's pitching, we'll lose 2-1".