Official Boxing Thread

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 22, 2009 -> 02:13 AM)
This board has been missing a boxing thread, so here is the start....

Are we finally going to get a Pacquiao/Mayweather fight??? I think its gonna happen

It will happen, there's no doubt about it. It's more of a question of when. There's gonna be a lot of bickering from Mayweather about his salary so I don't see it happening earlier than August.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 22, 2009 -> 06:37 PM)
Mayweather doesnt fight guys who are capable of beating him.

Hope it happens but I'm not holding my breath.

Yeah, this is definitely my first thought on the fight, but I just think at the end of the day there is so much money in a fight like this that he will end up doing it.

The argument is who gets the larger than 50% chunk of the pot. Mayweather's argument got a little weaker since Meltzer had Pacquia/Cotto at 1.25 buys, larger than Mayweather's last fight. I can't see this happening until August/September of 2010.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 09:32 AM)
Yeah, this is definitely my first thought on the fight, but I just think at the end of the day there is so much money in a fight like this that he will end up doing it.

The argument is who gets the larger than 50% chunk of the pot. Mayweather's argument got a little weaker since Meltzer had Pacquia/Cotto at 1.25 buys, larger than Mayweather's last fight. I can't see this happening until August/September of 2010.

I think Pacquiao probably deserves more than 50%, but theres no way Mayweather accepts that. I can see him holding out forever unless he gets over 50%

Floyd is a MUCH better buisness man then Pac. Pac has the traditional promoters and handlers all with a million hands in his purses. Floyd has always dealt for himself and because of that does not get swindled out of what HE is bringing in. Bob Arum and the like will be the holding point if there is one. The traditioanl leeches that use up the fighters.

Floyd will fight Pac and they will break the bank! I still like Floyd in the matchup, he is faster and naturally bigger. A pure defensive master, but Pac-man should "check his chin", which is still somewhat of a question, due to the fact that nobody has been able to land on him. Can't wait to see it.

Edited by JuiceCruz16

QUOTE (JuiceCruz16 @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 01:16 PM)
Floyd is a MUCH better buisness man then Pac. Pac has the traditional promoters and handlers all with a million hands in his purses. Floyd has always dealt for himself and because of that does not get swindled out of what HE is bringing in. Bob Arum and the like will be the holding point if there is one. The traditioanl leeches that use up the fighters.

Floyd will fight Pac and they will break the bank! I still like Floyd in the matchup, he is faster and naturally bigger. A pure defensive master, but Pac-man should "check his chin", which is still somewhat of a question, due to the fact that nobody has been able to land on him. Can't wait to see it.

I'm taking Pacman in that match. He's torn the last few fighters apart and stood toe to toe with Cotto who could've KO'd him. Floyd may be bigger, but Pacman has shown he's got power. I also think Pacman is faster. Just look at the flurry of punches he throws from all the different angles. No one knows where his punches are coming from. It's a set up for a great match. Both very fast and accurate counter punchers.

QUOTE (JuiceCruz16 @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 01:16 PM)

http://boxing.about.com/b/2009/07/04/floyd...ut-of-money.htm

maybe he's good at getting money for fights, but after that... well, he's probably not the greatest money man, this is just one of many stories, just google Mayweather money problems and over the last year many stories like this exist

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 09:02 PM)
http://boxing.about.com/b/2009/07/04/floyd...ut-of-money.htm

maybe he's good at getting money for fights, but after that... well, he's probably not the greatest money man, this is just one of many stories, just google Mayweather money problems and over the last year many stories like this exist

last year someone broke into his house and stole $7 million of jewelry....I cant imagine what $7 million of jewelry even looks like and why a man would need that or have it just laying around the house

Well they're in the first stage of negotiations according to ESPN. Now with that said, I wouldn't even care if they split the purse 50-50 and raised the PPV to $60 or $70. I would still buy that fight.

As far as Cotto vs Pac, a couple of things happened. Cotto was doing really good and standing toe to toe with Pac, but Pac hit him hard, and Cotto got conservative. It was a combo of it being fast and it coming from an unexpected angle. Then Cotto just tried to jab and move when really, he should've tried to jam him the whole fight. Then like in the 5th or 6th round, he got tired out and exposed himself. He basically was running the rest of the night minus a round afterwards. Cotto needed to be ready to go 15 rounds, not 5. Pac also hasn't been hit hard like that before either.

With that said, I don't know who would win a fight between Floyd and Pac.

Pac has the advantage that he can hit from any angle, he's fast enough to keep up with Mayweather, and his endurance is elite. Floyd has elite quickness, elite endurance, but also has one of the highest IQ's in boxing. It'll be hard for Pac to get a good flow of sound punches on Mayweather to hurt him. With that said, Mayweather is going to have the same problem. Mayweather really doesn't fight to beat you up though, he fights to win the fight. The key though would be if Pac can adjust his fighting. If he is okay with fighting Mayweather's style and doesn't get frustrated(which he is capable of), then he'll stand a good chance. Pac can't take off rounds though because PBF will rack up those rounds really quick.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Nov 28, 2009 -> 12:22 PM)
I usually see most PPVs I want to see, either MMA or boxing, because luckily I have a group of friends who are in for it, and if you split the PPV and drinks and food it usually ends up being equal to or less than going out

Yeup.

So Roy Jones Jr. got his clocked cleaned within 2 mins tonight by Australia's Danny Green.

Green could fight Bernard "The Excecutioner" Hopkins next.

As for Jones, stick a fork in him, he's done. Saw him against Calzaghe at the Garden last year and he's pretty much got nothing left. Been a great fighter, but it's time to move on as De La Hoya did after he got smashed by Manny.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 08:00 AM)
So Roy Jones Jr. got his clocked cleaned within 2 mins tonight by Australia's Danny Green.

Green could fight Bernard "The Excecutioner" Hopkins next.

As for Jones, stick a fork in him, he's done. Saw him against Calzaghe at the Garden last year and he's pretty much got nothing left. Been a great fighter, but it's time to move on as De La Hoya did after he got smashed by Manny.

wow, Jones is done. He had such a great career, but his legacy might get a bit tarnished cause of the losses he has piled up in the past few years. There goes the big payday he was looking for to fight Hopkins, although he was reportedly paid $10 million to go down to Sydney to fight Green.

ESPN is reporting that Mayweather accepted terms for a Pacquiao fight. March 13 is the proposed date, which was up in the air cause of the Jones/Hopkins fight, but thats probably not happening anymore. Cowboys Stadium & the Superdome are vying for the fight, although I would think it ends up in Vegas somewhere.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/ne...tory?id=4705330

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 08:30 AM)
wow, Jones is done. He had such a great career, but his legacy might get a bit tarnished cause of the losses he has piled up in the past few years. There goes the big payday he was looking for to fight Hopkins, although he was reportedly paid $10 million to go down to Sydney to fight Green.

ESPN is reporting that Mayweather accepted terms for a Pacquiao fight. March 13 is the proposed date, which was up in the air cause of the Jones/Hopkins fight, but thats probably not happening anymore. Cowboys Stadium & the Superdome are vying for the fight, although I would think it ends up in Vegas somewhere.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/ne...tory?id=4705330

RJJ was one of those fighters who was too good in his prime, nobody had a prayer of beating him and he wasn't the flashy type of fighter like a Tyson or such. His handspeed was amazing.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 23, 2009 -> 11:11 AM)
Looks like the superfight is in jeopardy. Mayweather is requesting strict olympic-style drug testing, while Pacquiao refuses to have his blood drawn within 30 days of the fight, as he says it could affect his peformance.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...ther/index.html

Mayweather is such a b****. He had no intentions on fighting Pacman. He was waiting to pull this stunt the minute Pacquiao accepted the fight.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Dec 24, 2009 -> 12:10 AM)
Mayweather is such a b****. He had no intentions on fighting Pacman. He was waiting to pull this stunt the minute Pacquiao accepted the fight.

Why is this unreasonable and how would having blood taken affect Pacman's performance? Are they going to take like a few liters out of him to do the tests?

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Dec 24, 2009 -> 01:16 AM)
Why is this unreasonable and how would having blood taken affect Pacman's performance? Are they going to take like a few liters out of him to do the tests?

I dont know how because I've never had to take blood tests but obviously Pacman thinks it hinders his performance by taking frequent tests up until fight time. Pacman said he's got no problem with a test a few weeks out and right after the fight so that should be good enough for Mayweather's camp.