Are we allowed to get nervous about Moncada at this point?

ron883

He has looked completely and absolutely lost so far. Time to start worrying yet? I'm sure as hell worrying about him. I know he is young, but I have a good eye for baseball and I'm not liking what I'm seeing. We have to hope he is like buxton and turns it around at SOME point.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hi8is @ Sep 8, 2017 -> 10:41 PM)
Give him 1,000 at bats first.

Or at least 1/2 a season. He has what less than 1/3 of a season total in the MLB. The length of his entire career is an in season slump for some hitters.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ron883 @ Sep 8, 2017 -> 10:33 PM)
He has looked completely and absolutely lost so far. Time to start worrying yet? I'm sure as hell worrying about him. I know he is young, but I have a good eye for baseball and I'm not liking what I'm seeing. We have to hope he is like buxton and turns it around at SOME point.

LMAO. :lol:

QUOTE (ron883 @ Sep 8, 2017 -> 09:33 PM)
He has looked completely and absolutely lost so far. Time to start worrying yet? I'm sure as hell worrying about him. I know he is young,

but I have a good eye for baseball and I'm not liking what I'm seeing. We have to hope he is like buxton and turns it around at SOME point.

that's debatable...

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 8, 2017 -> 10:38 PM)
Not worried, but I think they need to seriously consider dropping switch hitting.

I've voiced this before, but I don't think having him bat as a LHH vs. LHP would yield better results. Especially when he used to be better as a RHH. I still have faith that he'll become adequate from the right side with more work.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Sep 8, 2017 -> 11:24 PM)
He'll be better than Tim Anderson at the plate at a bare minimum. He's not this bad. Although Devers is looking like he would've been the best get like I originally thought.

Rumor has had it that Boston wouldn't give Devers up.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Sep 9, 2017 -> 08:23 AM)
With all the guys breaking out this year across the league after years of struggling, I'm not worried. I think he'll need a couple seasons to figure it out and that's OK.

This isn't an objective answer. Just because other guys figured it out doesn't mean Moncada will. The guy has significant swing and miss issues, and he has at every level of the minors, and they manifest no matter what side of the plate he's on. The one positive we've seen so far is his ability to take a walk.

By all means, give him more time, much more time. But right now, there's little to be hopeful about.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Sep 9, 2017 -> 01:24 AM)
He'll be better than Tim Anderson at the plate at a bare minimum. He's not this bad. Although Devers is looking like he would've been the best get like I originally thought.

Devers has been horrible lately

Edit- .197/.258 with a .487 OPS in his last 16 games. Regression to the mean.

Edited by Jose Abreu

Take the good with the bad now. He's the 2B to start the season next season with a full spring training to work on things, and it's his age 23 season with a team that isn't expected to contend.

If he's kinda the same guy in middle of next June, then it may be something to worry about.

Not worried about his mlb stats, trout just had a 87 wRC+ his first 135 mlb PAs. However I'm a little worried that he hasn't really lowered his K rate in AAA this year. He is still very young but I would like to see at least some improvement in that regard.

Still if he can stay at 30% in the majors while keeping the walks up and hitting for some power he will be at least a solid player even if it is with a lowish average. And if he can lower it to 23-24% he can become a star. Bryant also struck out 30% in the minors and his first year and then improved to low 20s. That improvement is rare and most do not make it above A ball but it can happen.