Moncada's Future Role

Lillian

I mentioned this idea, in the thread about Moncada, but somehow it seemed to get buried by a lot of discussion about other things, including things unrelated to Yoan.

The thought of having a switch hitting, high OBP, leadoff hitter, whp possesses great speed and power, is very intriguing. Tim Raines and Ricky Henderson were perhaps the two best players, in that mold, although Henderson was not a switch hitter. Those guys dominated the game, in their primes.

Moncada has the tools to be that kind of player. Whether, or not, he can realize that potential, is of course the big question. His recent performance suggests that he may ultimately live up to the hype, which would put him in that elite catagory.

We haven't yet seen him display any extraordinary base stealing skills, but he certainly has both the speed, and the acceleration. Technique can be learned.

He has demonstrated the ability to take pitches, and work the count, to draw bases on balls. Hitting at the top of the order would maximize his tools. Some of us had hoped for Anderson to fill that spot, but he continues to fail to draw walks, which renders him unsuitable for that spot.

The future Sox lineup could be deep enough to afford placing Moncada's bat at the top of the order, with many productive, run producers behind him. If the team can

field enough good hitters, there will still be plenty of opportunities for Yoan to drive in runs. It's not hard to imagine the bottom 1/3 of the order producing enough chances for him to pile up the RBI's.

What do you gentlemen think of Moncada, as the leadoff hitter?

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 23, 2017 -> 02:26 PM)
I personally think he'd be better as a #2 hitter due to his power, but we'll see if it improves as he progresses.

He seems ill-suited for a "2 hole" hitter, who is normally tasked with taking pitches to allow a baserunner to attempt a steal, or hitting behind a runner, on a hit and run. Moreover, that would minimize his speed, as he would not have an open second base to steal, if the leadoff guy got on, ahead of his having reached first, himself.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 23, 2017 -> 03:26 PM)
I personally think he'd be better as a #2 hitter due to his power, but we'll see if it improves as he progresses.

I think #2 would be ideal since Moncada already has the eye and sees alot of pitches in his at bats already. I'd go TA #1 and Moncada #2.

QUOTE (Tony @ Sep 23, 2017 -> 07:50 PM)
TA hitting .310 for the season is about the only way it works, you're correct. :lol:

So far in his career, the difference in his BA to OBP has been about 20 points. His OBP is SO heavily weighted on his BA I just don't see how he becomes anything more than a 6 hitter. (Which is fine)

I understand OBP is a factor in deciding who leads off but it isn't the only factor either. Hell, he's already a better hitter than Alexei was in the lead off spot. I like the idea of trying to get TA on base ahead of Moncada. I like the idea of Anderson's speed as a potential disruption to the pitcher during Moncada's at bats. Might help the pitcher make a mistake over the plate to Moncada.

QUOTE (Tony @ Sep 23, 2017 -> 08:12 PM)
By the way, where are you getting the .310 number?

Batting No. 1, I see 172 AB's, .262 AVG, .278 OBP.

From baseball cube. I checked the lead off box and clicked the filter button and that's what came up.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/pro...=tim-anderson-2

QUOTE (Lillian @ Sep 23, 2017 -> 09:06 PM)
According to Baseball Reference splits, Tim is batting over .300 leading off an inning, but only .262 with an OBP of .278, batting 1ST in the lineup.

Ah, that must be where my confusion is coming from. Thanks for clarifying Lillian. :)

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 23, 2017 -> 07:28 PM)
I think #2 would be ideal since Moncada already has the eye and sees alot of pitches in his at bats already. I'd go TA #1 and Moncada #2.

YM walks a lot. TA never walks. I agree with the guy who thinks TA would be best suited for #6 hole.

Bat Moncada lead off and you might end up with a Ricky Henderson type{from my lips to Gods ears}.

For #2 slot the next 2-3 years it might be covered very well by Nick Delmonico. His career OBP in the

minors is 85 points higher than his BA because he's a patient hitter. He also could use that patience to

give YM a chance to steal some bases. If ND turns out to be a .275 hitter with 60-70 walks and 40-50

XBH's for a few years while also making peanuts for a salary, that would be an incredible help. Long

term the sox have several in house candidates for #2 hole. Luis Gonzalez is a guy I would keep an eye on.

QUOTE (zisk @ Sep 24, 2017 -> 09:46 AM)
YM walks a lot. TA never walks. I agree with the guy who thinks TA would be best suited for #6 hole.

Bat Moncada lead off and you might end up with a Ricky Henderson type{from my lips to Gods ears}.

For #2 slot the next 2-3 years it might be covered very well by Nick Delmonico. His career OBP in the

minors is 85 points higher than his BA because he's a patient hitter. He also could use that patience to

give YM a chance to steal some bases. If ND turns out to be a .275 hitter with 60-70 walks and 40-50

XBH's for a few years while also making peanuts for a salary, that would be an incredible help. Long

term the sox have several in house candidates for #2 hole. Luis Gonzalez is a guy I would keep an eye on.

Agree with this, and also strongly agree with the OP that leadoff should be Yoan's future spot in the lineup.

Haven't really considered Delmonico as a 2 hole hitter, but that could work. I would also consider guys coming up like Robert and Rutherford...maybe even Collins in that spot.

QUOTE (zisk @ Sep 24, 2017 -> 06:46 AM)

I was also thinking Nicky as the 2 behind Moncada. Not only does having the top 2 with good eyes but also need that 2 hitter to be a good fastball hitter since with Moncada on 1st the 2 hitter would see more fastballs.

I know most don't like Davidson and with TA so hot if he can continue that he could be behind Avi , Abreu as the 3, 4 ,5 in the order. Depends on when we see Eloy . If Sox keep Abreu and Avi and Eloy hits right away and Delmonico can keep his OBP above .350 the Sox have a potentially potent 1-6.