YOU MUST READ AND ACKNOWLEDGE THIS THREAD

NorthSideSox72

Busterites-

We're not joking. Going forward, if you want to post in the Buster, you need to make a post in THIS thread, stating that you have read and agree with the below guidelines. If you post in here without doing so, we will give you a friendly reminder (I do understand its sometimes hard to get to things in the right order).

A brief background... Rex and I have tried to keep this forum fair and open, allowing people to post and discuss virtually any topic, and from virtually any stance or position. We want to continue that. However, its seems that lately, the tone of many posts has been unacceptable, and this needs to change. There are certain behaviors we have seen a lot lately that sort of skirt the site rules, but serve no purpose other than to anger others. Many of us have been guilty of this. There is a lot of tension in the air over the upcoming elections. But that is not a viable excuse for these sorts of posts. For example...

--Couching an insulting statement, i.e. "if you think/do X, you must be an idiot". This is the same thing as calling someone and idiot, and is not OK.

--Baiting or pushing people over the line, i.e. posting the same silly request repeatedly, as if they didn't hear you the first time.

--The use of ridiculous hyperbolic statements that are so far over the top, that no resonable response of discussion can follow them.

--Sarcasm as a way of insulting other posters, like saying "oh yes, because so-and-so knows everything, we must bow to his wisdom!!!!11!1!1!!"

--Making threatening or questionable statements about elected officials or others in the public eye, i.e. "someone needs to assasinate that SOB"

--Litter threads with every little news item on a specific subject that can be found - in this case, if you want a thread just to catalog the missteps of a specific candidate, then start a thread for that purpose.

--Alternately, if a topic is already being discussed in a thread, don't start new threads just to post new articles.

These are just examples, but, I'm sure you get the idea. Starting now, these sorts of posts will be deleted or moved as appropriate. If someone starts having repeated problems of this sort, then further action may be taken.

So, by adding a post to this thread acknowledging these guidelines, you are stating the following...

1. I will not insult other posters, directly or indirectly

2. I will not threaten anyone, even in jest

3. I will not bait people or push them over the line (a.k.a. pushing their buttons)

4. I will not post statements for the purpose of angering others

5. I will not prod posters repeatedly on a subject or chase them across topics to make a point

6. I will try to make posts that actually add to the discussion at hand

Please post your acknowledgements, and then enjoy posting in the Buster. Rex and I, as well as the other moderating staff, are quite proud of the fact that we have a political forum with so many intelligent, well read posters, and that most of the time, it remains relatively civil. Let's get back on that track.

As a final note, if you want to make any suggestions at all as to other guidelines, or changes, that you'd like to see in here, please PM me, or Rex, or another mod/admin. We are always looking for ways to make the site better.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 08:05 AM)
I think the sarcasm one will nail alot of people, me included, as that form of humor comes all too easily in these type of discussions. However, I will do my best to comply.

Sarcasm is fine. Just as long as its not used to insult another poster.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 08:05 AM)
I think the sarcasm one will nail alot of people, me included, as that form of humor comes all too easily in these type of discussions. However, I will do my best to comply.

We can always just PM each other when that old posting of the green feeling comer over . . . :lolhitting Hell, my posts feature more green then a St. Patrick's Day party on the Southside.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 10:43 AM)
We can always just PM each other when that old posting of the green feeling comer over . . . :lolhitting Hell, my posts feature more green then a St. Patrick's Day party on the Southside.

Hmmm. You and I might just become PM buddies. :o