Sox sign 3B/OF Cody Asche

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 01:11 PM)
To play in AAA?

Can't see him at 3B there due to Davidson/Delmonico

Davidson or Asche could very well be at third or DH.

This is the type of guy you pick up and plug in and see if he can play. Hopefully he or Davidson can get everyday at bats at 3B or LF (Asche).

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 01:18 PM)
Davidson or Asche could very well be at third or DH.

This is the type of guy you pick up and plug in and see if he can play. Hopefully he or Davidson can get everyday at bats at 3B or LF (Asche).

Where would Delmonico play? I can see Delmonico at 3B and Asche in LF if Frazier is traded, but if he isn't, there's a glut.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 01:23 PM)
Where would Delmonico play? I can see Delmonico at 3B and Asche in LF if Frazier is traded, but if he isn't, there's a glut.

I should have stated, "could be at 3B or DH at the MLB level." If they deal Frazier, there's actually a spot open for both to start every day (potentially).

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 01:26 PM)
I should have stated, "could be at 3B or DH at the MLB level." If they deal Frazier, there's actually a spot open for both to start every day (potentially).

If Frazier is traded, I think Brett Lawrie will be the 3B

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 01:48 PM)
If he is signed to a minor league deal he isn't subject to major league waivers unless he is called up.

This^

It wasn't a waiver claim so he can go to the minors (unless he has an opt-out which I didn't see. Not really good enough to warrant one).

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 01:49 PM)
This^

It wasn't a waiver claim so he can go to the minors (unless he has an opt-out which I didn't see. Not really good enough to warrant one).

He actually has a decent amount of major league time so it is possible he gets a drop dead date where the team either has to add him or set him free.

Isn't there a certain date where we can still cut Lawrie (and Avi) without paying them? With Anderson, Frazier, Sally, Sanchez, and Davidson likely to have 25 man roster spots already I wonder if they view Asche as added IF/LF depth at a fraction of the price to Lawrie? I can't see any team trading for Lawrie, and giving him AB's at this point is pretty useless.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 02:34 PM)
Isn't there a certain date where we can still cut Lawrie (and Avi) without paying them? With Anderson, Frazier, Sally, Sanchez, and Davidson likely to have 25 man roster spots already I wonder if they view Asche as added IF/LF depth at a fraction of the price to Lawrie? I can't see any team trading for Lawrie, and giving him AB's at this point is pretty useless.

Unless it changed in the last CBA, and no one has talked about it, they can still be cut for a settlement of something like 15 to 20% of the salary they agreed to.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 02:34 PM)
With Anderson, Frazier, Sally, Sanchez, and Davidson likely to have 25 man roster spots already I wonder if they view Asche as added IF/LF depth at a fraction of the price to Lawrie? I can't see any team trading for Lawrie, and giving him AB's at this point is pretty useless.

I take the contrary view:

1st and foremost, Matt Davidson sucks out loud at baseball. His horrific K rate in AAA screams this to anyone who sees his fangraphs page.

2nd, I don't take it as a given that Anderson won't regress, and perhaps need a trip down to Charlotte. His historical K rates and O swing % suggest that he may struggle.

3rd, I haven't seen anything that indicates that Saladino is healthy.

4th, Frazier may yet be traded,

5th, Lawrie isn't all that expensive, and has proven more in the bigs than Asche; giving away value isn't a good way to go durng a rebuild.

6th, I want to give this stupid front office ZERO reasons to bring Moncada up even a billisecond before he's good and ready.

In sum, yeah, Lawrie isn't much. But cutting him is a stupid idea. OTOH, Avi is here to help this team secure a high draft pick, so he too should be kept.