Houston Astros' Internal Trade Talks

Goober

http://deadspin.com/leaked-10-months-of-th...rade-1597951970

Kind of interesting to see

White Sox related part:

10/31/2013

I spoke with [White Sox GM Rick Hahn] today. They have definite high interest in Castro. He said they have four untouchable players - Sale, Quintana, Abreu and Garcia. Other than that, they would consider anything. He said they have had some inquiries about Santiago, Reed, Jones, and may consider moving Viciedo.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

http://deadspin.com/leaked-10-months-of-th...dium=socialflow

http://anonbin.com/2412624498

On October 31st, the transcript mentioned they talked with Rick Hahn and he said he had interest in Jason Castro. He went on to say he has four "untouchable" players, Sale, Quintana, Abreu, and Garcia. Other then that he would consider "anything" and had calls on Reed, Jones, Santiago, and may consider moving Vicedo.

On the entry dated November 13th, "RH" (Rick Hahn) asked "JL" (Astros GM Jeff Luhnow) if Hector Santiago would "entice" him. Luhnow said not enough for Castro and later in the day Hahn came back and asked if Bourjos (from LAA) would be better. Bourjos ended up being apart of a separate deal with the Cardinals just 9 days later and Santiago ended up being traded on December 10th.

I was on my soapbox in the offseason, and I think went as far as to say the Sox offseason plan should center around trading for Castro. Crap... He's been TERRIBLE this year.

And as a sidenote, his statline exposes Flowers' entirely EMPTY batting average.

Castro 218/297/363 - 82 Ks

Flowers 237/296/326 - 92 Ks

and for s***s and giggles....

Grandal 196/285/354 - 49 Ks

Maybe keeping Flowers wasn't such a bad thing? *shrug*

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 01:04 PM)
I'd consider Castro for Avi

The guy who is currently hitting .218/.297/.363? And before you say small sample size, he's a career .247/.324/.405 major league hitter. Not saying he doesn't have potential, but for Avi? Injured or not, no freakin way.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 12:30 PM)
The guy who is currently hitting .218/.297/.363? And before you say small sample size, he's a career .247/.324/.405 major league hitter. Not saying he doesn't have potential, but for Avi? Injured or not, no freakin way.

.729 is really good for a catcher, fwiw.

That said, he's closer to being expensive, and his offensive game has really fallen off this season. And I'm not even certain why the Astros would need another OFer.

I'd do it in a second IF Castro came with more team control. He's reputed to be an excellent defender who is developing into one of the best pitch framers in the league. Just one year removed from a 130 wRC+, and two removed from a 100 wRC+. If he gave us 100 going forward with his defense, I'd be thrilled to give up Avi.

But he'd have to agree to an extension we liked.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 12:34 PM)
I love this voyeuristic view of the Gm dealings...

"Inventory player"

"Paydown"

completely different terminology than that fans and writers use.

Remember, the Astros are viewed as completely bizarre by the rest of baseball. I don't think it's considered normal terminology for any other organization.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 01:35 PM)
Remember, the Astros are viewed as completely bizarre by the rest of baseball. I don't think it's normal terminology for any other organization.

It wasn't the Astros using the terminology... or maybe it was their GM that used those words to describe the offers... it was the Yankees and the Royals I think.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 12:34 PM)
I'd do it in a second IF Castro came with more team control. He's reputed to be an excellent defender who is developing into one of the best pitch framers in the league. Just one year removed from a 130 wRC+, and two removed from a 100 wRC+. If he gave us 100 going forward with his defense, I'd be thrilled to give up Avi.

Then you're talking about finding two corner outfield bats and a LH/DH.

Yes, I am cognizant of the fact that catching is extremely difficult to develop. It seems no matter what/who we trade, let's say Alexei Ramirez, it opens up another gaping hole somewhere else in the major league line-up.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 01:34 PM)

I'm not saying I wouldn't love to have Castro, but not for Garcia. It all depends on how he responses to his injury, of course, but I am bullish on him and his future contributions. Bear it mind the kid just turned 23, he's still developing.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 12:26 PM)
I was on my soapbox in the offseason, and I think went as far as to say the Sox offseason plan should center around trading for Castro. Crap... He's been TERRIBLE this year.

And as a sidenote, his statline exposes Flowers' entirely EMPTY batting average.

Castro 218/297/363 - 82 Ks

Flowers 237/296/326 - 92 Ks

and for s***s and giggles....

Grandal 196/285/354 - 49 Ks

Maybe keeping Flowers wasn't such a bad thing? *shrug*

I don't know if there's a catcher worth trading for out there. Anyone who does well for one year - Castro last year, Grandal in 2012 while on PEDs - is bound to be crazy overpriced if sold near peak. Many of the other top catching prospects have stalled in their progression. Maybe it makes more sense to live with catching mediocrity, like most teams are seemingly compelled to do, and improve everywhere else.

Sure would be nice to develop a Lucroy type - damn that dude's a bargain for the Brew Crew. No confidence whatsoever in the farm achieving this, though.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

That career line is a very slightly above average hitter, and coupled with his pitch framing and general defence makes an incredibly valuable player. Avi is a woeful defensive outfielder who doesn't walk, so to be valuable he has to hit .300+ and/or have some pretty serious power, and he hits the ball into the ground way too much right now to unlock all of the power potential.

The major thing stopping me doing it would be years of control.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 12:48 PM)
I would trade Garcia for Castro straight up right now, but that has more to do with the shoulder injury. In my mind, Garcia's ceiling is way higher, but he's also a much riskier player at this point in time too.

In terms of WAR, what do you Garcia's ceiling is, considering his defence, which has graded as amongst the worst in the league (and fails the eye test too)?

Castro had a 4.3 WAR last year (bearing in mind that likely grossly undersells him because it doesn't consider pitch framing), and has 0.6 WAR this year despite hitting way worse. Avi has a career -0.4 WAR, though granted he's been very young in his spells up.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 01:53 PM)
This was a really, really great read.

I thought the absolute best part of it, perhaps other than the Stanton talks, was when Lunhow asked for Giolito in exchange for Lucas Harrell followed by, "Rizzo did not respond immediately." I think almost every other exchange had some sort of response or consideration after it but Rizzo did not feel the need to respond to it.

In terms of talent, I doubt there has ever been a bigger differential between two player who were ever discussed in a one for one trade proposal haha