2018 catch-all

Kyyle23

I had to update my ventra card because it was expiring but i guess i ordered a new card instead of replacing an old card and now ventra is basically saying there is no way possible for me to transfer my monthly pass to the new one so i just have to pay until the pass renews next month.

Makes me long for comcast.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 3, 2018 -> 02:38 PM)
I had to update my ventra card because it was expiring but i guess i ordered a new card instead of replacing an old card and now ventra is basically saying there is no way possible for me to transfer my monthly pass to the new one so i just have to pay until the pass renews next month.

Makes me long for comcast.

I'm having Ventra issues myself right now. Very irritating to deal with

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 3, 2018 -> 05:00 PM)
I'm having Ventra issues myself right now. Very irritating to deal with

They are huge jerks.

On the flip side, nordstroms customer service is incredible. I have a bad problem with not checking the default shipping address when it's just coming to me, and they solve things over the phone and without making you repeat yourself with all of your information right away.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 08:58 AM)
I just found out about this yesterday.

Essentially, if you go through a toll where it doesn't read the transponder for whatever reason or you don't have it in the car with you at all, they will now charge you the cash rate. Even if you have the vehicle registered for an Ipass account.

Cash grab.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 11:01 AM)
Cash grab.

It really is. They are going to make a ton of money from this. Similar to when they stopped mailing out the postcard reminders for license registration. They were making so much money in late fees that they had to pass a law to stop charging late fees until they started mailing the reminders out again.

I've actually read that they will allow people up to 5 or 6 "incidents" per month. So if you go through a coupe of times and forget your Ipass, you wont be charged extra right away. But they are estimating an extra $15 million in extra revenue.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone taken one of those timeshare presentation offers? I got one from Hyatt this week. 6 days, 5 nights in Maui. Free 6 day car rental. In one of their 2 bedroom suites. $600. You have to sit through a 90 (not to exceed 120) minute presentation on their timeshare stuff, that's the only draw back. My wife and I stayed at the Hyatt hotel next door to the timeshare property for part of our honeymoon and absolutely loved it. I would love to go back, especially for this cheap. Two hours out of 6 days doesn't seem like a big deal...

Curious if anyone else has done this before.

We did the Holiday Inn/IHG version. We got 4 days/3 nights free on Galveston Island for going.

Not sure what the Hyatt version is, but with IHG, now instead of one specific condo/apartment for the same week every single year, they give you a block of points, and each of their resorts has a point value so that you can use the points however you like. It isn't cheap, so we didn't do it, but it was at least interesting to us because of its flexibility. Just like any of these things they will first try to sell you on a maximum package at a maximum price, and it a consumer rated loan that comes with a high credit card type interest rate. When you tell them no, the package and the pricing will come down to more reasonable levels.

If the Hyatt style is similar in its flexibility and you are a family that does something in terms of significant travel on a regular basis, I can see how it would be interesting. At worst, you can even use the points they give you for regular hotel travel nights, though that isn't the best value for the points.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 10:42 AM)
We did the Holiday Inn/IHG version. We got 4 days/3 nights free on Galveston Island for going.

Not sure what the Hyatt version is, but with IHG, now instead of one specific condo/apartment for the same week every single year, they give you a block of points, and each of their resorts has a point value so that you can use the points however you like. It isn't cheap, so we didn't do it, but it was at least interesting to us because of its flexibility. Just like any of these things they will first try to sell you on a maximum package at a maximum price, and it a consumer rated loan that comes with a high credit card type interest rate. When you tell them no, the package and the pricing will come down to more reasonable levels.

If the Hyatt style is similar in its flexibility and you are a family that does something in terms of significant travel on a regular basis, I can see how it would be interesting. At worst, you can even use the points they give you for regular hotel travel nights, though that isn't the best value for the points.

We've looked into the Disney version in the past and it just made zero financial sense. Something like 25k or 50k down, then an annual fee (thousands per year), and then you still have to pay a nightly rate when you want to go. I failed to see any benefit other than staying at more exclusive resorts.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 12:16 PM)
We've looked into the Disney version in the past and it just made zero financial sense. Something like 25k or 50k down, then an annual fee (thousands per year), and then you still have to pay a nightly rate when you want to go. I failed to see any benefit other than staying at more exclusive resorts.

The Holiday Inn version had no nightly rate, your points paid for it. They did have a service fee type of thing that was on an annual basis. I want to say the top package was like $20,000 financed at like 25%.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 2, 2018 -> 09:18 PM)
Since I just need somewhere to vent, we were set to head to Disney World on Sunday. My daughter was just diagnosed with influenza and we had to cancel.

This sucks.

That really sucks, Steve. I hope your daughter is ok

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 6, 2018 -> 11:21 AM)
A co-worker of mine just found out he won $1 million on some second chance lotto game. How long until he blows it all?

After taxes he'll end up with maybe half that.

I'd blow through most of it pretty quick too but my house would be paid off, my 5th wheel trailer would be paid off and my car would be paid off. It's not enough to retire on but my wife might be able to quit her job. Or at least drop to part-time.

Edited by Iwritecode

• bmags locked this topic
  • Tony unlocked this topic
  • bmags unpinned and locked this topic