zach collins

zisk

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 02:42 PM)
I'm usually concerned, but not too concerned about this one. Other than his average, everything else is OK, and he has been concentrating on his defense. I think once he has that squared away, the average will go up.

I'm starting to get fairly concerned about his ability to make consistent contact. The plate discipline is solid, but as the pitchers get better in the high minors he will not be able to rely on drawing walks as much.

.209 against high A pitchers does not inspire tons of confidence against AA/AAA pitching. Too soon to panic, but I absolutely think we should be questioning the hit tool.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 04:39 PM)
I'm starting to get fairly concerned about his ability to make consistent contact. The plate discipline is solid, but as the pitchers get better in the high minors he will not be able to rely on drawing walks as much.

.209 against high A pitchers does not inspire tons of confidence against AA/AAA pitching. Too soon to panic, but I absolutely think we should be questioning the hit tool.

I think this is totally the right take at this point. If you want to cherry-pick though, he is actually batting .232 against RHP. It's the slash line against LHP's that brings the average all the way to the Mendoza line. Looks like the comps to Schwarber were more accurate than we all originally thought.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 04:39 PM)

+1

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 06:53 PM)
he is actually batting .232 against RHP.

That's not much better.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 08:58 PM)
Collins' BABIP is still really low. Given the power numbers, I'm going to assume he's been the victim of some bad luck. Like I've said numerous times, this season was all about defense for him and that's been a success. I'll worry about his bat next season once his defense is in a good spot.

I agree

It is entirely way too soon to panic. However, I am concerned. I am hopeful he just needs to make some adjustments. Think about how much better his defense has gotten after making a few adjustments. He was a force all his life leading to professional ball. I'm not ready to give up on him yet.

QUOTE (Anderdale @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 04:13 AM)
I agree

It is entirely way too soon to panic. However, I am concerned. I am hopeful he just needs to make some adjustments. Think about how much better his defense has gotten after making a few adjustments. He was a force all his life leading to professional ball. I'm not ready to give up on him yet.

I am not freaking out about Collins yet, but a top draft pick like him should be performing better than flirting with the Mendoza line in high A ball. He needs to get on a hot streak and right the ship.

I wish everyone would quit talking about how his defense is sooo good. Fact is, he is not hitting at all, and statistically is getting worse. If he does not improve, next year at this time he will be in the "Bust" category, along with a few too many other first rounders.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 08:31 AM)
That settles it then: Collins is fine. .209 in H-A is a lot better than .209 in L-A.

:huh:

If you are going to complain about their age level in their league you may as well get the league right.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 08:02 AM)
I wish everyone would quit talking about how his defense is sooo good. Fact is, he is not hitting at all, and statistically is getting worse. If he does not improve, next year at this time he will be in the "Bust" category, along with a few too many other first rounders.

Don't talk about the good, only focus on the bad, and give up on him in a season.

Got it.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 09:06 AM)
I have a feeling he more than some others will be slow to adjust to the grind of catching every day over a 100+ game season.

Catching is universally known as developing slower than the other positions because of all of the extra defensive responsibilities they have such as blocking pitches, calling a game, throwing out baserunners, etc.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 09:06 AM)
I have a feeling he more than some others will be slow to adjust to the grind of catching every day over a 100+ game season.

Yeah good point. I also wonder if Sox thought putting Zevala with him could get him focused with a little competition.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 10:04 AM)
Catching is universally known as developing slower than the other positions because of all of the extra defensive responsibilities they have such as blocking pitches, calling a game, throwing out baserunners, etc.

Plus just the physical grind that catching takes on your body so much more than any other position.

I think the point many are making is that his bat should have already been there. So from the beginning his focus should be catcher. They drafted him high because he was a MLB ready bat that just needs catching development in the minors. unfortunately the scouts were wrong. Hell I was wrong. Watching him destroy ACC pitching his entire college career maks it hard to believe this is truly what his bat is. I still believe he has a combo of bad luck, mental games, and a true good old fashion slump.