Possible MLB Expansion

WhiteSoxfan1986

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/which-l...xpansion-022816

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/how-wou...baseball-022816

John Paul Morosi had a good take on possible expansion and realignment today. It would be nice to see Montreal get a team back, and I think Vancouver and Austin would be good spots as well.

The realignment proposal is interesting and he's really just throwing stuff at the wall. Seeing the Sox in a division with the Cubs, Cardinals and Brewers would be fun though.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 03:08 AM)

John Paul Morosi had a good take on possible expansion and realignment today. It would be nice to see Montreal get a team back, and I think Vancouver and Austin would be good spots as well.

The realignment proposal is interesting and he's really just throwing stuff at the wall. Seeing the Sox in a division with the Cubs, Cardinals and Brewers would be fun though.

i am spit-ballin here, why not a another team in joliet, or schaumburg ??? do you think chi can handle another baseball team??

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 08:08 PM)

We'll pass. The Rangers and Astros are popular enough here. Plus, most of us are transplants, anyway.

Edit: Although I guess seeing the White Sox in Austin would be pretty great...

Edited by AustinIllini

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 12:48 AM)
Does Seattle have the right to protect its market from competition in Portland or Vancouver?

I guess not.

For all these years, the Giants have been able to block an Oakland move to San Jose, and then the Nationals/Orioles have their own long history of disputes as well.

I would ask the same question about the Rangers and the Astros in Austin. I'm not sure where they would build a stadium like that here. Maybe near the F1 track?

Edited by AustinIllini

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 08:25 AM)
Baseball doesn't need to expand. Baseball needs to move TB and OAK to better markets. Best chances for a team to make it: Montreal, Portland, Charlotte

I agree, although I think once they start talking about it, it's going to happen. At that point, MLB will have doubled since 1901; that would be a good place to cap it.

What I'm concerned about is radical realignment. If the Sox and Cubs have to play each other 6-8 series per season, I think I might be done with baseball. And if they ever go to 8 divisions of 4 teams, I'm for sure done with baseball. That would be a guarantee of bad teams making the playoffs only because they are the best team of an arbitrary 4-team grouping. It's bad enough with 5-team divisions. 4-team divisions would be a train wreck for baseball.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 09:48 AM)
I agree, although I think once they start talking about it, it's going to happen. At that point, MLB will have doubled since 1901; that would be a good place to cap it.

What I'm concerned about is radical realignment. If the Sox and Cubs have to play each other 6-8 series per season, I think I might be done with baseball. And if they ever go to 8 divisions of 4 teams, I'm for sure done with baseball. That would be a guarantee of bad teams making the playoffs only because they are the best team of an arbitrary 4-team grouping. It's bad enough with 5-team divisions. 4-team divisions would be a train wreck for baseball.

No way the MLB ever puts two teams in the same city in the same league. Also, if you're that fickle, you might as well just stop watching.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 03:48 PM)

i don't know if i can welcome that idea. maybe i am too much old school and by that comment, i guess i am fishing for my reasoning.

i really don't like that.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 02:25 PM)
Baseball doesn't need to expand. Baseball needs to move TB and OAK to better markets. Best chances for a team to make it: Montreal, Portland, Charlotte

i am in agreement here. move them, or allow them to move.

what i see as great spots that is built up already, 1. Mont, 2. Van tie with Austin.

i still think that chicago and the westren subs can handle another team.

vegas and cha i don't know.

Who the hell would root for a 3rd Chicago team? Where are all these people with no affiliate to either of the current 2 coming from? They'd be very lucky to have 5,000 season ticket holders. And what TV network would be willing to make the initial investment of say $450,000 per game like the Sox and Cubs get from CSN to air these guys?

Anyway, Montreal will happen...I think Bell will own the team as TSN needs content. Makes too much sense for Canada to have a 2nd team for their 2nd media power to control.

Charlotte probably isn't happening, the city just spent millions giving the Knights a new home. I think Portland may be the front runner for #32

Indianapolis seems like a good spot to me. Already have 2 popular pro teams.

Indy isn't interested in a MLB team. Their AAA team does really well and they're fine with that. Lots of Reds fans in between Indy and Cincy so the Reds take a hit if Indy gets a team.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 07:46 AM)
Indy isn't interested in a MLB team. Their AAA team does really well and they're fine with that. Lots of Reds fans in between Indy and Cincy so the Reds take a hit if Indy gets a team.

This is probably the best way to describe Austin, as well.

Always a fun discussion. I think MLB can expand by two more, and I also agree that TB and OAK probably need to move. My list of cities in order of likely success with a team...

Charlotte (would need a fully new park, current one is boxed in)

San Antonio / McAllen (much better choice than Austin in my view, for this purpose)

Portland

Las Vegas

Albuquerque / Santa Fe

Nashville (same as Charlotte)

Salt Lake City

Montreal (I just don't know that they'd draw in the long run)

San Juan, PR

Vancouver (way too close to Seattle)

Just my .02. Looking at money in towns, scope of fan base, climate, demographics (specifically think getting to places with larger Hispanic populations would be a good idea).

Hopefully shack will come along and either confrim or refute this, but I don't see an MLB team succeeding in Vegas. Very high percentage of people working in the service industry, thus working lots of nights and weekends when the games are being played. You might get a little bit of attendance boost from tourism, but I don't see them pulling in the kind of TV ratings they would need to get much money from a TV deal.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 11:05 AM)
i am in agreement here. move them, or allow them to move.

what i see as great spots that is built up already, 1. Mont, 2. Van tie with Austin.

i still think that chicago and the westren subs can handle another team.

vegas and cha i don't know.

Chicago can hardly support two teams. If a city is getting a 3rd team it would be NYC, and even that isn't going to happen.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 08:48 AM)
Chicago can hardly support two teams. If a city is getting a 3rd team it would be NYC, and even that isn't going to happen.

The Schaumburg (Insert Team Name) of Chicago? :lol:

i know this is pipe-dream, i am doing this for discussion only.

there are viable options available and i am saying that chi can support another team, esp in the western and sw suburbs.

the scrubs of the northside has been easily able to support their team. esp in the tickets sales to the tune of 2.8 mil per since the sox WS yr.

the sox, they could have done the same, if it wasn't for the mismanagement of the FO.

the main point is the fans of baseball in the western, sw burbs can do it. esp if that team gets smart business people to run the club, unlike the south side team.

now this season will tell the difference with their investment in the ball club.

now add a bastelball expansion to that ball club and it can be done.