The Cubs enjoy some lighthearted racism at camp

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 4, 2016 -> 11:04 AM)
Adam Eaton gets called out for his comments, but this s*** is OK at Cubs camp? Seriously?

https://twitter.com/MDGonzales/status/705799798452912128

It's only really offensive if someone is actually offended though. I didn't really feel like scrolling through comments but did anyone say anything?

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 4, 2016 -> 12:48 PM)
They also did Karaoke per another tweet from Gonzalez.

In america I think making fun of Asian people is more acceptable for some odd reason. I dont get it.

Just look at the Oscars. The big point of discussion was fighting racism, yet there was a blatant Asian joke that only Jeremy Lin was mad about.

This is way worse than what Eaton said...

I hate how everyone just laughs at Kawasaki like..."oh hey, look at that Asian FOB doing Asian things, SO FUNNY!". The Japanese headbands just makes it even worse.

Kawasaki's gotta realize that they're laughing at him...not with him, right? I can't wait for the stupid ass bleacher bums to show up in racist Japanese gear again.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 4, 2016 -> 01:21 PM)

I hate how everyone just laughs at Kawasaki like..."oh hey, look at that Asian FOB doing Asian things, SO FUNNY!". The Japanese headbands just makes it even worse.

Kawasaki's gotta realize that they're laughing at him...not with him, right? I can't wait for the stupid ass bleacher bums to show up in racist Japanese gear again.

Turns out Kawasaki is the one who supplied the headbands for him teammates.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 12:40 PM)
Turns out Kawasaki is the one who supplied the headbands for him teammates.

Oops, so much for racism. I never did see the big deal with this and obviously Kawasaki was not only in on the fun but supplied some of the fun too.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 4, 2016 -> 01:21 PM)

Lol. No. Kawasaki provided the headbands and like doesn't have family that came over here on a boat from Africa as property.

This isn't even close to the same and both situations are benign in different ways.

Edited by AustinIllini

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 10:15 PM)
Lol. No. Kawasaki provided the headbands and like doesn't have family that came over here on a boat from Africa as property.

This isn't even close to the same and both situations are benign in different ways.

What Eaton said was taken out of context. He should have had better awareness that what he said was perceived along the lines of "all lives matter", which is usually what racists say in response to black lives matter.

This is, in a way, different. But to say that racism (no matter how light-hearted) against Asians is somehow a non-issue because they didn't get enslaved is ignorant. Do you think Asian Americans want people out there to think that we love putting on Hachimaki headbands and suck at speaking English? This s*** already happened with the Cubs and Fukudome. I can't imagine how much worse it'll get with Kawasaki.

Edited by chw42

And, in all fairness, Japanese-Americans were treated much differently than German-Americans during WWII.

Of course, some will make the argument that Japan directly attacked America at Pearl Harbor.

I think a lot of it does go back to that perception that for the last 20-30 years countries like Japan, South Korea, China/Taiwan, Singapore, etc., have been eating our lunch from a competitive economics standpoint.

Then, you look at the worldwide educational attainment/PISA/SAT, etc., scores and Asians are also dominating "white" Americans and being reverse-discriminated against in college applications for doing too well.

So, because Asians (including Indian-Americans as well here) are doing better, economically, on average, than whites, African-Americans and Hispanics, therefore they're now part of the dominant power structure moreso than "subjugated" minorities...of course, ignoring the abuse of Asian coolie labor in building the railroads and much of California or the WW II internment camps.