Jason Coats

oldsox

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 08:35 AM)
You think they would have learned when they unceremoniously dumped Andy Wilkins and let Dan Black go to Korea. But no. Now we get to see Jason Coats beat the White Sox for the next 10 years.

Well Dan Black was never anywhere near the prospect Coats was, and Wilkins was a pure 1B which gave him a super-steep path, so your joke doesn't really hit home. But certainly Coats leaving isn't the end of the world, I agree there. I still believe Coats provides more value than Avi Garcia, but obviously the Sox feel otherwise. Tampa likes to go with role players and Coats fits that mold well, rotating through OF slots down there.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 09:10 AM)
Well Dan Black was never anywhere near the prospect Coats was, and Wilkins was a pure 1B which gave him a super-steep path, so your joke doesn't really hit home. But certainly Coats leaving isn't the end of the world, I agree there. I still believe Coats provides more value than Avi Garcia, but obviously the Sox feel otherwise. Tampa likes to go with role players and Coats fits that mold well, rotating through OF slots down there.

If Coats turns into a mlb regular, shame on us. He seems like he could be a decent 4th outfielder, but I do not consider him to be a significant loss.

I would have liked to see him back for depth purposes, but in choosing between Willy Garcia or Coats, I'd rather take a chance on the younger Garcia

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 09:10 AM)

I don't know. I think this was you.

http://www.chicagonow.com/future-sox/2013/...eman-dan-black/

Seems pretty comparable. Older minor leaguers putting up big numbers but not really prospects of any significance.

The bottom line is if the goal is sustained winning, losing players like this doesn't set that back.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 09:18 AM)
If Coats turns into a mlb regular, shame on us. He seems like he could be a decent 4th outfielder, but I do not consider him to be a significant loss.

I would have liked to see him back for depth purposes, but in choosing between Willy Garcia or Coats, I'd rather take a chance on the younger Garcia

Heck I'm a bigger fan of Coats that most, and even I have said his ceiling is maybe, if everything goes right, a short term starter on a bottom feeding team. More likely he's a 4OF or a platoon/role player, and I do think he already is that and could even be better than average in that role.

But as you sort of point out, the Sox essentially traded higher floor (Coats) for higher ceiling (Garcia), which does make sense for a rebuilding team. Since taking Avi out of the picture apparently wasn't an option, this makes some sense.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 09:19 AM)
I don't know. I think this was you.

http://www.chicagonow.com/future-sox/2013/...eman-dan-black/

Seems pretty comparable. Older minor leaguers putting up big numbers but not really prospects of any significance.

The bottom line is if the goal is sustained winning, losing players like this doesn't set that back.

Yup that was my Q&A with Dan. Here's my graf about him from that article:

So why doesn't Dan show up on organizational top 10 prospect lists? For one thing, conventional prospect analysis says, at age 25 in AA, he was a year or two behind the prototypical college draftee age curve. For another, he plays a position where premium offense is a basic expectation. But what if Paulie isn't around in 2014, and Adam Dunn is traded, say, midseason? If Black continues his trend and rakes in AAA Charlotte in 2014, it isn't too crazy to think he might show up at The Cell to get a look.

So even in an article meant to hype him up a bit, the best I could give him was saying that if a couple guys get hurt/traded/retire and he carried his offense over a level and quickly, this guy might maybe see the big leagues. So yeah, as I said, he was never considered a prospect at the level Coats was.

I know you like to pick nits, but get it right. Black wasn't the prospect Coats was, especially as each reached the upper levels, especially AAA.

In the end as you said, Coats' role with the Sox in some 2019-ish future wouldn't be much. Maybe the 4th OF, which has some value but is pretty findable elsewhere. No one is saying otherwise - I'm just saying that he's a better candidate for value now and in a couple years than Avi,

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 09:59 AM)
Heck I'm a bigger fan of Coats that most, and even I have said his ceiling is maybe, if everything goes right, a short term starter on a bottom feeding team. More likely he's a 4OF or a platoon/role player, and I do think he already is that and could even be better than average in that role.

But as you sort of point out, the Sox essentially traded higher floor (Coats) for higher ceiling (Garcia), which does make sense for a rebuilding team. Since taking Avi out of the picture apparently wasn't an option, this makes some sense.

Yup that was my Q&A with Dan. Here's my graf about him from that article:

So even in an article meant to hype him up a bit, the best I could give him was saying that if a couple guys get hurt/traded/retire and he carried his offense over a level and quickly, this guy might maybe see the big leagues. So yeah, as I said, he was never considered a prospect at the level Coats was.

I know you like to pick nits, but get it right. Black wasn't the prospect Coats was, especially as each reached the upper levels, especially AAA.

In the end as you said, Coats' role with the Sox in some 2019-ish future wouldn't be much. Maybe the 4th OF, which has some value but is pretty findable elsewhere. No one is saying otherwise - I'm just saying that he's a better candidate for value now and in a couple years than Avi,

What am I picking? Coats isn't much of a prospect. In the post before you want to say I am the one picking the fight (you are) you admit Coats isn't much of a prospect. Dan Black wasn't much of a prospect. Andy Wilkins wasn't much of a prospect, and Jason Coats isn't much of a prospect. You admit no big loss, yet you are the one who started the argument.

You guys never had Coats rated very high on future sox with a crappy system.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 10:03 AM)
What am I picking? Coats isn't much of a prospect. In the post before you want to say I am the one picking the fight (you are) you admit Coats isn't much of a prospect. Dan Black wasn't much of a prospect. Andy Wilkins wasn't much of a prospect, and Jason Coats isn't much of a prospect. You admit no big loss, yet you are the one who started the argument.

You guys never had Coats rated very high on future sox with a crappy system.

Coats was ranked as high as 14th, and was ranked over a 2-year period (2015-2016). He just barely made it to rookie eligibility and is gone, otherwise he'd likely have been ranked in a third year this year (though not as high as 14th, with the new talent influx).

Dan Black never made a list.

If those are the same to you, then sure, you win.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 10:12 AM)
Coats was ranked as high as 14th, and was ranked over a 2-year period (2015-2016). He just barely made it to rookie eligibility and is gone, otherwise he'd likely have been ranked in a third year this year (though not as high as 14th, with the new talent influx).

Dan Black never made a list.

If those are the same to you, then sure, you win.

You ranked Coats 14th mid season 2016, as a 26 year old, in the White Sox system. It's not a decent prospect. It's very similar to the jump you gave Wilkins in 2014. I see you ignored that one. You're b****ing about Avi Garcia, what was Coats ranked in the White Sox system when he was Avi Garcia's age preseason 2015? He wasn't in your top 30. He was in "others receiving votes".

You may not like that I put Coats in with Wilkins and Black, 2 players that got some love for their minor league numbers as older guys, but ultimately, his career will turn out the same. He will either wind up in Japan or Korea, or bounce around on waivers from team to team.

Unless you are in your teens or very early 20s, being ranked outside the top 10 in the White Sox system the last decade, isn't very good.

Edited by Dick Allen

• 3 weeks later...