40 man roster

BamaDoc

An overlooked fact on organizational depth is the 40 man roster and transactions impact. If Burdi is added to the major league roster he has to be added to the 25 and therefore 40 man roster. He doesn't currently have to be there because he is a new draftee. If he is added, that means one less spot for another prospect so someone who is exposed to the rule 5 draft this winter. I see no reason to rush him, use up an option year and start his service time clock. He has performed well enough that if you "go for it " next year he will likely be in the bullpen mix but if you go for a rebuild looking at him as a starter is probably worthwhile. He, Hanson and Adams could be seen as future mid or higher rotation options.

So with that said, I started to look at guys on the bubble and was hoping someone may be able to give some info on three players

David Holmberg LHP. 25 yo and quietly having his best season in the minors. He failed previously with Cincy in some auditions but has something clicked? A WHIP about 1.0 at AAA and averaging over 6 innings a start.

Nolan Sanburn RHP 25 at AA. Looks like he is getting a look late this year as a starter. ERA in twos and WHIP around 1 for the last 4 months. Any hope?

Peter Tago RHP 24yo at AA. Former first rounder came to sox in 2015 and looked liked they helped him. Was maintaining improvement this year. Lights out in June and July then couple rough outings in Aug and on DL.

These look like players that could help a team and might end up exposed/selected in a rule 5 situation. Any info on Tago's injury or the players as prospects is appreciated.

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Aug 23, 2016 -> 09:01 AM)
An overlooked fact on organizational depth is the 40 man roster and transactions impact. If Burdi is added to the major league roster he has to be added to the 25 and therefore 40 man roster. He doesn't currently have to be there because he is a new draftee. If he is added, that means one less spot for another prospect so someone who is exposed to the rule 5 draft this winter. I see no reason to rush him, use up an option year and start his service time clock. He has performed well enough that if you "go for it " next year he will likely be in the bullpen mix but if you go for a rebuild looking at him as a starter is probably worthwhile. He, Hanson and Adams could be seen as future mid or higher rotation options.

So with that said, I started to look at guys on the bubble and was hoping someone may be able to give some info on three players

David Holmberg LHP. 25 yo and quietly having his best season in the minors. He failed previously with Cincy in some auditions but has something clicked? A WHIP about 1.0 at AAA and averaging over 6 innings a start.

Nolan Sanburn RHP 25 at AA. Looks like he is getting a look late this year as a starter. ERA in twos and WHIP around 1 for the last 4 months. Any hope?

Peter Tago RHP 24yo at AA. Former first rounder came to sox in 2015 and looked liked they helped him. Was maintaining improvement this year. Lights out in June and July then couple rough outings in Aug and on DL.

These look like players that could help a team and might end up exposed/selected in a rule 5 situation. Any info on Tago's injury or the players as prospects is appreciated.

Tilson or someone else could go to 60 day DL. Multiple guys (Avila, Ajax, Morneau, and Navarro) will be off the 40 man in the offseason. It's not that big of a deal.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 23, 2016 -> 09:45 AM)
Tilson or someone else could go to 60 day DL. Multiple guys (Avila, Ajax, Morneau, and Navarro) will be off the 40 man in the offseason. It's not that big of a deal.

Plus there are plenty of guys who can be removed from the roster if needed.

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Aug 23, 2016 -> 09:01 AM)

Tago was already getting serious consideration for a September call-up, but then he fell apart in a couple outings and went to the DL. I'm told its a soreness issue, he's worn down so they shut him down. So he won't come to Chicago this year. He's a consideration for 4-man protection, but as a still-inconsistent AA arm, he may not be a high risk for being picked.

Sanburn has been all over the map in his 2 years in the system. He's just now finally, maybe, getting settled in at AA. I highly doubt he's a September call-up candidate. No one is using a Rule V MLB pick on him.

Holmberg is interesting. Starters are rarely picked in the Rule V. He also doesn't have particularly wide splits. I don't see him as a pick risk, so I don't think he gets protected. Also worth noting, he has some MLB service time, so I am not sure he's even eligible, and might be a minor league FA anyway.

There are a bunch of guys who likely will be dropped from the 40 this offseason - Albers (probable release), Brennan (zero pick risk), Purke (no one much cares if he goes), Alfredo Gonzalez (who was an insurance pickup only), Morneau (FA), and I'd be shocked if Avi was still around in 2017. Plus Tilson to the 60 is in play, as noted by others.