Interview with Alex Call, 3rd round pick

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 24, 2016 -> 08:13 AM)
One of our newer writers, Owen, interviewed 3rd round pick (and very popular around here) OF Alex Call. He's on quite a tear, and here you get to hear him tell you why.

We are interviewing a few high round picks right now. Coming soon: Jameson Fisher and Alec Hansen.

Turning into AJ Pollack would be fantastic. I hope that happens.

I know this is Call's answer, but this is a great Q&A as to why Hansen's rookie ball stats do hold some meaning.

OS: What are some of the main differences between college ball and pro ball from the little taste of it you've had?

AC: Well everyone in the line up was either the three-hole hitter or the lead off hitter with their college teams so there's no guy that you look at as an easy out. There are a couple hitters in college where you have to look out, where you know they can beat you, but here everyone's good and has a lot of talent. Everyone can play the game. Otherwise, it hasn't been too different. I think the game speed is pretty much the same. Guys maybe have a better feel for their breaking stuff but really it's not too big of a difference where I'm at now.

Really good stuff Owen. I love the comp to AJ Pollock. You'd expect most young prospects, particularly OFers, to say their comp is Mike Trout, Andrew McCutchen, Torii Hunter, some star like that who everyone knows. But AJ Pollock is not only a great player, but tells me Call actually follows the MLB pretty closely and that actually seems like a really nice ceiling comp pick in terms of a player who is above-average in everything, but not outstanding or poor in anything.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Aug 26, 2016 -> 01:26 AM)
Really good stuff Owen. I love the comp to AJ Pollock. You'd expect most young prospects, particularly OFers, to say their comp is Mike Trout, Andrew McCutchen, Torii Hunter, some star like that who everyone knows. But AJ Pollock is not only a great player, but tells me Call actually follows the MLB pretty closely and that actually seems like a really nice ceiling comp pick in terms of a player who is above-average in everything, but not outstanding or poor in anything.

Thank you! Yeah, I hadn't even thought of AJ Pollock as a comp for Call until he said it. Once he said it, I immediately thought of how great a comp that is, albeit for his absolute ceiling. Like 2015 AJ Pollock would be the ideal outcome for Alex, but it's not totally out of the realm of possibility. After speaking with him, I agree the make up is off the charts. He puts in the work and I personally think he'll add more mass to his frame. 15-ish HR was the ceiling I envisioned for him. Pollock had 20 last year... But I do think Call has the chance to have at least doubles power that can impact the game. Add in the plus glove and it's a player with a solid floor. The guys with a playable floor and simultaneously a glimmer of upside is the most ideal profile IMO. Not saying Call will be AJ Pollock by any means, but if he does succeed that is the level of success I think he can have.

QUOTE (the_Xsport @ Aug 26, 2016 -> 01:51 AM)
Thank you! Yeah, I hadn't even thought of AJ Pollock as a comp for Call until he said it. Once he said it, I immediately thought of how great a comp that is, albeit for his absolute ceiling. Like 2015 AJ Pollock would be the ideal outcome for Alex, but it's not totally out of the realm of possibility. After speaking with him, I agree the make up is off the charts. He puts in the work and I personally think he'll add more mass to his frame. 15-ish HR was the ceiling I envisioned for him. Pollock had 20 last year... But I do think Call has the chance to have at least doubles power that can impact the game. Add in the plus glove and it's a player with a solid floor. The guys with a playable floor and simultaneously a glimmer of upside is the most ideal profile IMO. Not saying Call will be AJ Pollock by any means, but if he does succeed that is the level of success I think he can have.

I was particularly impressed with Call talking about pitcher pop times to home as it relates to stealing bases. He's definitely a baseball rat, and clearly has a head for deeper analytics.