Aron McRee

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Aron McRee was drafted this year correct ? He is putting up some gaudy numbers as a starter in a hitters league (Pioneer League) . I don't see a profile for him on Future Sox. Help please ? Looks like a free agent signing from the University of Montevallo in the Peachbelt Conference . School is in Alabama.

Also please correct the title . Spelled his name wrong .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

He wasn't drafted at all, UDFA signing.

I agree his numbers are quite good especially for that league, even for a 22-year old. But I honestly know nothing about his stuff, and have never even see video of him pitching. His numbers at Montevallo (D-III school) weren't anything special, FWIW. Can't find a single bit of scouting info on him via Google. Next time I'm talking with my local contact in Great Falls I'll ask.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 08:02 PM)
He wasn't drafted at all, UDFA signing.

I agree his numbers are quite good especially for that league, even for a 22-year old. But I honestly know nothing about his stuff, and have never even see video of him pitching. His numbers at Montevallo (D-III school) weren't anything special, FWIW. Can't find a single bit of scouting info on him via Google. Next time I'm talking with my local contact in Great Falls I'll ask.

Thanks. Just going by his numbers I'd say he's got good command of his pitches while not having great stuff. Probably lives on the corners and knows what he's doing on the mound. That will play in lower levels . Hope one of his pitches is a change up. Just guessing if he doesn't have the stuff lack of speed differences on pitches will eventually catch up to him. Again that's total speculation on my part.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 10:59 PM)
Thanks. Just going by his numbers I'd say he's got good command of his pitches while not having great stuff. Probably lives on the corners and knows what he's doing on the mound. That will play in lower levels . Hope one of his pitches is a change up. Just guessing if he doesn't have the stuff lack of speed differences on pitches will eventually catch up to him. Again that's total speculation on my part.

The low walk total indicates control (ability to throw strikes), but not necessarily command (ability to get consistent desired location and character of a given pitch). He's also got a 61% GB rate, which indicates "heavy" stuff with some sink. Beyond that, I wouldn't read much into his numbers, other than an overall "could be something there, wait and see" approach.