Official Recruiting Thread II

This will have things moving better.

Below is the link for the original thread, and PHF's first post from the original thread with some useful links for information. I've updated the links to the 2008 class.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=45121

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 01:03 AM)
I'll get some links of lists etc, just give me a second.

Scout.com Football prospect database,

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=4&yr=2008

Scout.com Football team recruit rankings,

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=14&yr=2008

Scout.com Basketball prospect database,

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&am...c=4&yr=2008

Scout.com Basketball team recruit rankings,

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&am...=14&yr=2007

Rivals.com Football prospect database,

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/prosearch.asp?sid=880

Rivals.com Football team recruit rankings,

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/teamrank.asp?SID=880

Rivals.com Basketball prospect database,

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/pro...t=2&sid=910

Rivals.com Basketball team recruit rankings,

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/con....asp?CID=676729

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jul 9, 2007 -> 08:41 PM)
let me be the first to say it on the new thread...

weber can't recruit.

:P

:lol: What's the over/under on "Weber can't recruit" posts in the future in this thread?... Is 1,000 a good number? lol

Had to share this, 4 star LB that has UNC as leader, but his last name has had me giggling.

Yes, I'm 23 and immature, deal with it.

Ebele Okakpu

http://northcarolina.scout.com/a.z?s=78&am...amp;nid=3060187

Also of note, #13 QB from last year Steven Threet is already transferring from Georgia Tech. Might be of interest here because Illinois, Indiana, and Wisconsin were 3 of his finalist and he's from Michigan.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Jul 10, 2007 -> 03:31 PM)
On that note...Matt Humphrey and Michael Dunigan are strongly rumored to be headed to Oregon and UNC has offered Iman Shumpert.

Illinois is giong to have to leave the state to find a big in this class in that case, and if the miss on the big prize of Terrence Jennings, I have no idea what big they will get in this class. I think Scott Suggs and Paul Williams are 2 very distinct possibilities. I really hope they get Jennings, that fills the star of the class and the big, but if not I have no idea who the big or 3rd guy is, and pickings are starting to get slim overall. What a shocker though in regards to a Bruce class, it's getting late to have no verbals.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jul 10, 2007 -> 08:56 PM)
Also of note, #13 QB from last year Steven Threet is already transferring from Georgia Tech. Might be of interest here because Illinois, Indiana, and Wisconsin were 3 of his finalist and he's from Michigan.

My friend from Michigan told me he is transferring to UM. I haven't seen anything official, and I find that odd since he'll be sitting behind Mallet.

Edited by chimpy2121

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Jul 12, 2007 -> 01:45 PM)
My friend from Michigan told me he is transferring to UM. I haven't seen anything official, and I find that odd since he'll be sitting behind Mallet.

Yeah, he's coming to Michigan. He'll redshirt this year and be a year behind Mallett. Weinke will redshirt next year and be a year behind Threet. This gives Michigan nice depth that it lacked after Forcier transferred. There will definitely be competition. Mallett will obviously have the upper hand, but then again, no one that John Navarre would be a three-year starter when he followed Drew Henson by a year.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 11, 2007 -> 04:44 PM)
I think Scott Suggs and Paul Williams are 2 very distinct possibilities. I really hope they get Jennings, that fills the star of the class and the big, but if not I have no idea who the big or 3rd guy is, and pickings are starting to get slim overall. What a shocker though in regards to a Bruce class, it's getting late to have no verbals.

Other rumors...Iman Shumpert trimmed his list to 5 and droppped UI (the finalists are UNC, Clemson, GTech, Marquette, and Bradley). Speaking of Suggs, he reportedly has offers from Florida and Kansas and wants to visit Kansas before making a verbal commitment. Finally, from the Suntimes, Jereme Richmond on his commitment to UI:

“There are definitely times where I think what could have been and what other schools could have been recruiting me,” Richmond said. “Being humans, you never know what the future can hold. As of now, I’m confident with it and positive with my decision.”

It's safe to say this was not a good week for UI basketball.

The fact it became official (and yes, regardless of what the merrymen are saying on the IB, Shumpert is gone) that 3 top recruiting targets in state are gone is just pathetic (oh, and Bradley is in Shumpert's final 5 but not Illinois, LMAO). I have said for a while now that it's too late in the game to have 0 2008 verbals and that this class had disaster written all over it, and that seems to be the case. And of course Richmond probably won't end up at Illinois, he can't sign until November of 2009 and I have doubts as to if Weber will even be our coach then, and if he is, his recruiting will have more than haunted the program by then. Everybody points to Weber's record, but he can't recruit, he's lost control of his actual players off the court, and the record on the court will begin to reflect the record in the recruiting game VERY soon. Always works that way in college sports. It's sad to see how fast Bruce has done this to the program.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 18, 2007 -> 11:57 AM)
And of course Richmond probably won't end up at Illinois, he can't sign until November of 2009 and I have doubts as to if Weber will even be our coach then, and if he is, his recruiting will have more than haunted the program by then.

There's no doubt that Richmond is going to reopen his recruitment. He will not be going to UI and I think it would be in his best interest not to.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Jul 18, 2007 -> 05:07 PM)
There's no doubt that Richmond is going to reopen his recruitment. He will not be going to UI and I think it would be in his best interest not to.

who exactly is your team anyway? you seem to have a pretty good hard-on for illinois, but i'm curious who earns your support.

anyhow, i disagree on richmond. i still think he'll end up at illinois (i do agree he will re-open at some point) and i still think weber will be the coach at that point. talk of him being fired at this point is just not reality. anyone who has followed the way guenther and his bosses do business know that weber will have a long leash. for him to get fired he's first going to have to post a losing season, and despite the negatives in recruiting i don't see that happening this year or next. that gets you to 2010.

but in terms of what happened this week, i just have to shake my head at weber. i really get tired of the excuse-making that comes from weber's most ardent supporters because it is nothing but silly and bitter chatter from people who don't know a whole helluva lot. losing humphrey doesn't bother me because i was never impressed with his game. dunigan hurts, though, and shumpert definitely hurts.

now i will acknowledge there are opportunities out there to still have a pretty strong class. i just have no faith it is actually going to happen.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 18, 2007 -> 05:57 PM)
The fact it became official (and yes, regardless of what the merrymen are saying on the IB, Shumpert is gone) that 3 top recruiting targets in state are gone is just pathetic (oh, and Bradley is in Shumpert's final 5 but not Illinois, LMAO). I have said for a while now that it's too late in the game to have 0 2008 verbals and that this class had disaster written all over it, and that seems to be the case. And of course Richmond probably won't end up at Illinois, he can't sign until November of 2009 and I have doubts as to if Weber will even be our coach then, and if he is, his recruiting will have more than haunted the program by then. Everybody points to Weber's record, but he can't recruit, he's lost control of his actual players off the court, and the record on the court will begin to reflect the record in the recruiting game VERY soon. Always works that way in college sports. It's sad to see how fast Bruce has done this to the program.

Shumpert did not drop Illinois for the record. The Sun-Times dropped the story after their guy failed to correctly read another article on how 5 schools were watching his progress at the Peach Jam.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 19, 2007 -> 05:40 PM)
Shumpert did not drop Illinois for the record. The Sun-Times dropped the story after their guy failed to correctly read another article on how 5 schools were watching his progress at the Peach Jam.

I can personally tell you with 110 percent certainty that Shumpert dropped Illinois the day UNC called and offered him. Now that isn't necessarily Bruce's fault, it sounds like UNC is his actual dream school, not Clemson as I've heard some people say, but Shumpert is not coming to Champaign. And if he gives any hints he is, I am going to lose some respect for Shumpert since by all accounts he's a better person than to do something like that and lead a school on. But yeah, Shumpert is gone already, no chance he comes here. I wish I were wrong, but college sports and recruiting are the one thing I actually know what I'm talking about and have sources in.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jul 18, 2007 -> 03:31 PM)
who exactly is your team anyway? you seem to have a pretty good hard-on for illinois, but i'm curious who earns your support.

anyhow, i disagree on richmond. i still think he'll end up at illinois (i do agree he will re-open at some point) and i still think weber will be the coach at that point. talk of him being fired at this point is just not reality. anyone who has followed the way guenther and his bosses do business know that weber will have a long leash. for him to get fired he's first going to have to post a losing season, and despite the negatives in recruiting i don't see that happening this year or next. that gets you to 2010.

but in terms of what happened this week, i just have to shake my head at weber. i really get tired of the excuse-making that comes from weber's most ardent supporters because it is nothing but silly and bitter chatter from people who don't know a whole helluva lot. losing humphrey doesn't bother me because i was never impressed with his game. dunigan hurts, though, and shumpert definitely hurts.

now i will acknowledge there are opportunities out there to still have a pretty strong class. i just have no faith it is actually going to happen.

Just for the record, your right about Guenther and his slow trigger finger. I think the reason Bruce might be gone by November of 2009 is just as much off the court as it is on it. Although by what I'm told, the kids coming in for the 2007 are not only his best recruiting class in terms of basketball, but also probably the best people personally he's brought in, so hopefully the off the court stuff starts going away. But when you consider Jamar at worst is going to be "suspended" next season (and still be in school and just take a redshirt athletically), I don't see why anybody would respect or take Bruce's disciplinary process seriously. But your right in the sense that Bruce won't be fired that fast for the certain impending problems on the court, but if the off the court stuff continues to combine with that, he has a imminent problem.

Oh, and if Richmond re-opens his recruitment, he's gone for good from U of I. That would mean Bruce would have to lock down a top stud national recruit late in the game, and we know he can't do that already.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 19, 2007 -> 04:39 PM)
I wish I were wrong, but college sports and recruiting are the one thing I actually know what I'm talking about and have sources in.

And those sources have never led you down the wrong path...cmon 101 :bang

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jul 18, 2007 -> 02:28 PM)

I don't have a particular NCAA team I like. I just like basketball -- although I feel guilty about that in the case of college hoops because it's such a screwed up system. What I don't like about Illinois is a series of DUIs and other crimes that put people in the community in danger with relatively no penalties to the guilty parties because they are on the basketball team. Obviously, my dislike of the Illinois basketball program bugs you. All I can is that my disappointment with UI is magnified because I want to like the institution and the basketball team. Really, a Northwestern like performance would be fine with me if the off-the-court problems went away (and the AD didn't embarass UI by publicly berating players and officials at games).

Anyway, I think UI could get a one man class of Suggs and roll the other scholarship over to 2009 and it really wouldn't be that bad of a recruiting season at all. Supposedly the class of 2008 is pretty weak, so missing out on some guys isn't the end of the world. Unfortunately, the media and a lot of fans would still portray it as a failure for Weber. It's clear that's a story the media like to write about. Jereme Richmond was obviously asked a very leading question about his commitment to UI in hopes of just the sort of response he gave.

Speaking of Richmond, if you agree he will reopen his recruitment, do you think he will recommit to UI? I'm told that usually never happens -- if the recruit breaks the commit its because they are no longer happy with their choice. Obviously I could be wrong, but I think at some point, Richmond will realize that he could go to UCLA, Kentucky, Florida, or UNC.

Edited by hitlesswonder

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Jul 18, 2007 -> 03:50 PM)
Other rumors...Iman Shumpert trimmed his list to 5 and droppped UI (the finalists are UNC, Clemson, GTech, Marquette, and Bradley). Speaking of Suggs, he reportedly has offers from Florida and Kansas and wants to visit Kansas before making a verbal commitment. Finally, from the Suntimes, Jereme Richmond on his commitment to UI:

I know very little about Shumpert, but I do know that Tom Crean has put in his due dilligence with Iman. It's tough competing with UNC and G-Tech, but if by chance Shumpert chooses Marquette, they'll have a very strong guard duo coming in for 2008-2009 (the other being Nick Williams).

And since I don't feel like putting this in another thread, Marquette's second best player this year will be Lazar Hayward -- second behind McNeal. Just so that I have that down somewhere when he's averaging 15 and 5 next season.