Robertson reinstated, Ynoa DFA'd

Sleepy Harold

Interesting move when you have both Infante and Minaya on the 25 man. Both have options, and Infante would have been the easy choice. This also opens a spot on the 40 man.

Either the Sox are just flat done with Ynoa and Coop gave up, or there is a roster move impending adding someone to the 40 man. Minaya is younger and still has a (small) chance of being a part of the next bullpen that matters, but Infante is over 30 and has no chance of being a part of the future. Weird to get rid of Ynoa who is at least somewhat intriguing due to his stature and arm when a guy like Infante could get optioned again without even losing him.

Are the Sox signing Bartolo? :unsure:

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 01:19 PM)
Interesting move when you have both Infante and Minaya on the 25 man. Both have options, and Infante would have been the easy choice. This also opens a spot on the 40 man.

Either the Sox are just flat done with Ynoa and Coop gave up, or there is a roster move impending adding someone to the 40 man. Minaya is younger and still has a (small) chance of being a part of the next bullpen that matters, but Infante is over 30 and has no chance of being a part of the future. Weird to get rid of Ynoa who is at least somewhat intriguing due to his stature and arm when a guy like Infante could get optioned again without even losing him.

It could also be that Ynoa asked out of the organization too.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 01:41 PM)
It could also be that Ynoa asked out of the organization too.

I doubt that. He is out of options, so for him asking out of the organization is basically asking to be DFA'd with no guarantee on finding another MLB job. Seems like a stretch.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 12:19 PM)

Wow I actually think the Bartolo move is very possible. Why not? Throw him out there a few times and see if he recovers value. Worst case maybe an August move guy.

Other than that, maybe related to adding guys to the 40 man roster like you said? Would probably have to be a Q move since that would involve guys close to the majors and the quantity to create a squeeze.

QUOTE (Username @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 01:59 PM)
Wow I actually think the Bartolo move is very possible. Why not? Throw him out there a few times and see if he recovers value. Worst case maybe an August move guy.

Other than that, maybe related to adding guys to the 40 man roster like you said? Would probably have to be a Q move since that would involve guys close to the majors and the quantity to create a squeeze.

It just begs the question why you'd DFA Ynoa when you could have just optioned Infante. Seems like the Sox are trying to clear a 40 man spot. Lopez, Giolito, Gonzalez, Moncada and Saladino are already on it. Basically the only guy in AAA with a shot at being called up right now that is not on the 40 man is Delmonico.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 02:06 PM)
It just begs the question why you'd DFA Ynoa when you could have just optioned Infante. Seems like the Sox are trying to clear a 40 man spot. Lopez, Giolito, Gonzalez, Moncada and Saladino are already on it. Basically the only guy in AAA with a shot at being called up right now that is not on the 40 man is Delmonico.

Which is why the idea that it has to be something abnormal coming into play here came to me. On the surface it doesn't make sense, so what is going on behind the scenes that now the team is more interested in Infante than Ynoa?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 03:13 PM)
Which is why the idea that it has to be something abnormal coming into play here came to me. On the surface it doesn't make sense, so what is going on behind the scenes that now the team is more interested in Infante than Ynoa?

Are they clearing space to make a waiver claim?

I think Bartolo is the most feasible reason (if there is really a move coming), because he's officially a FA today. Would make sense if they anticipate trading Holland and Q this month. Prevents them from having to expose the young guys.

Rotation would then likely be Rodon/Shields/Pelfrey/MiGo/Bartolo. [insert puke emojii]

Honestly though who knows. They could just roll with Holmberg and I don't think Lopez is that far off.

QUOTE (Username @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 03:02 PM)
I think Bartolo is the most feasible reason (if there is really a move coming), because he's officially a FA today. Would make sense if they anticipate trading Holland and Q this month. Prevents them from having to expose the young guys.

Rotation would then likely be Rodon/Shields/Pelfrey/MiGo/Bartolo. [insert puke emojii]

Honestly though who knows. They could just roll with Holmberg and I don't think Lopez is that far off.

There is absolutely zero reason for the White Sox to bring in Bartolo Colon. He is a free agent after this year, and any team who wants him already could have him as soon as he clears. The Sox aren't going this direction at this time of the season.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 03:05 PM)
There is absolutely zero reason for the White Sox to bring in Bartolo Colon. He is a free agent after this year, and any team who wants him already could have him as soon as he clears. The Sox aren't going this direction at this time of the season.

Ehh. It makes a little sense. If the Sox move (or DFA) three out of Q, Holland, Pelfrey, Shields and Gonzalez, they need someone to fill the rotation along with Rodon and Lopez. Giolito should NOT pitch in the big leagues this year.

Signing Bartolo to a pro-rated minimum deal and letting him absorb 10 starts will enhance the tanking, and what is the negative?

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 03:19 PM)
Ehh. It makes a little sense. If the Sox move (or DFA) three out of Q, Holland, Pelfrey, Shields and Gonzalez, they need someone to fill the rotation along with Rodon and Lopez. Giolito should NOT pitch in the big leagues this year.

Signing Bartolo to a pro-rated minimum deal and letting him absorb 10 starts will enhance the tanking, and what is the negative?

Shields isn't going anywhere. No one will want him unless something crazy happens. Come August 1st, I think our rotation looks like...

Rodon, Shields, Lopez, Holmberg, Covey/Danish

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 03:33 PM)
Shields isn't going anywhere. No one will want him unless something crazy happens. Come August 1st, I think our rotation looks like...

Rodon, Shields, Lopez, Holmberg, Covey/Danish

Coop literally just said like 2 weeks ago that Holmberg is not a starter. I'd be surprised to see him make more than a spot start here or there the rest of the way. Unfortunately Covey will be back at some point. I kind of doubt we see Danish as a starter.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 03:35 PM)
Coop literally just said like 2 weeks ago that Holmberg is not a starter. I'd be surprised to see him make more than a spot start here or there the rest of the way. Unfortunately Covey will be back at some point. I kind of doubt we see Danish as a starter.

My guess is that there is also a fair chance that some of the return in these trades are guys that can fill in spots today as well. I'd also follow up my original post with a guess that no one wants Mike Pelfrey, and if we need to keep a veteran for a spot the rest of the season, we will be just keeping the one we already have instead of adding another.