USA Today

daa84

there was an article saying that rooney and farmer were the best radio announcers among AL announcers. anyone have the article that can post it? santo and hughes were like 3rd from last in the NL lol

congrats rooney and farmeio...you guys rock

Edited by daa84

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 01:40 PM)
there was an article saying that rooney and farmer were the best radio announcers among AL announcers. anyone have the article that can post it? santo and hughes were like 3rd from last in the NL lol

congrats rooney and farmeio...you guys rock

They are awesome to listen to.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 03:08 PM)
Wow Dave Wills and partner pulling up the bottom of the list.  :0

Nto a surprise.. the don't have much to be graded on in terms of success. Most of their broadcasts are filled with "sigh... the Rays lose again". It's easy to be the best when you're calling winners all the time.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 03:45 PM)
Score just said Cubs radio crew 13th of 16 in the NL.

Rooney, Farmer give White Sox AL's top radio team

By Steve Gardner, USATODAY.com

Here's a closer look at each of the 14 AL broadcast teams. Audio highlights from the top five are courtesy of MLB.com.

1. Chicago White Sox (John Rooney, Ed Farmer)

Rooney is as solid a play-by-play announcer as the game has to offer. He has a terrific grasp of everything that's going on and he leads Farmer expertly when it's time to explain some of the intricacies in the action or go off on a tangent. ("Contrary to popular belief Goose Goslin and Heinie Manush were not close friends," Farmer interjected during a discussion of old-timers one day.) A former major league pitcher, Farmer calls play-by-play in the middle innings — but he brings more of a fan's perspective to the mike. He and Rooney balance each other perfectly and they're there every single night.

A good example of how they work so well together came May 31 when the White Sox and Angels were tied going into the bottom of the ninth. Farmer came back from commercial and urged the Sox, "Let's go win it on a (Jermaine) Dye homer" before turning things over to Rooney. Three pitches later, Rooney described that exact scenario as Dye's blast cleared the fence with his trademark, "That's a White Sox winner!"

Those guys are always awesome. No offense to Hawk and DJ, I'd listen to these guys any day for a game.

Edited by ceffa2000

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 02:30 PM)
Nto a surprise.. the don't have much to be graded on in terms of success. Most of their broadcasts are filled with "sigh... the Rays lose again". It's easy to be the best when you're calling winners all the time.

I agree. The radio team is new which is tough and trying to call games when you're always losing makes it tougher.

"A good example of how they work so well together came May 31 when the White Sox and Angels were tied going into the bottom of the ninth. Farmer came back from commercial and urged the Sox, "Let's go win it on a (Jermaine) Dye homer" before turning things over to Rooney. Three pitches later, Rooney described that exact scenario as Dye's blast cleared the fence with his trademark, "That's a White Sox winner!"

I rememebr that like it was yesterday! :headbang

QUOTE(ceffa2000 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 09:12 PM)
Actually, it seems like Farmer is just Nostradamus posing as a radio announcer.  He has a habit of making those calls.

I'd give him a 30% accuracy on his calls....if your counting "It will be his 19 here if he knocks it out" or "Tie ballgame if he gets it over the fence"

Since I get most of my games via mlb.tv and mlb.radio I've heard a lot of these announcers and for my money The Sox have the best radio crew and the NY Yankees have the best TV crew. Being a Sox fan I enjoy Hawk a lot but from an objective point of view, the Yankee TV team is great.

Further validation of the greatness of Rooney and Farmer.

Put a similar list together of TV tandems, Hawk and DJ wouldn't crack the top 10.

That's why for me, it's radio with the TV muted. Just can't beat it.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 09:56 AM)
Further validation of the greatness of Rooney and Farmer.

Put a similar list together of TV tandems, Hawk and DJ wouldn't crack the top 10.

That's why for me, it's radio with the TV muted.  Just can't beat it.

Didn't ESPN call Hawk one of the best announcers in baseball a few years ago? Maybe it was just the homerun call.

QUOTE(HSC's Biggest Fan @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 08:50 AM)
The Trib gave Farmer and Rooney credit and then stated something about how the cub broadcasters could be so low (they used the term surprising or shcoking or something like that).  They (Trib and cub fans) really are full of themselves go to Around the Horn to get the rest of my cub rant.

I agree.

And of course the Trib is going to question this. They own the Cubs; they own WGN. They pay Hughes and Santo.