Catchers

I just want to say that I have been pretty impressed with the Sox combination at catcher this year. Both Narvaez and Smith have been productive players. While they aren't necessarily destroyers in the lineup, they have both been solid contributors.

They have a combined stat line of:

PA AB R H 1b 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+ TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB

435 390 35 108 85 19 0 4 36 0 0 36 70 .277 .342 .356 .698 90 139 12 3 3 2 1

I'm not certain, but I would guess the last time the Sox got production like that out of their catchers was AJ.

For guys that are essentially rookies, at a demanding position both physically and mentally, their play on both sides of the ball has been pretty darn good.

Edited by turnin' two

Smith's swing reminds me of Mike Piazza . Never or rarely lunges at outside pitches. Just stands there and swings . If he is late or the pitch is outside it goes to RF . He just hits the ball where its pitched. Obviously not the same juiced up power but the swing path and plane is very similar .

They are going to need a defense first receiver, to work with all of the young arms, who will be promoted to the parent club, over the next two years. Especially next year, it won't matter how good the offensive production is, from behind the plate. The emphasis has to be on helping the pitchers. Who could they acquire, while they wait to see what they have with Collins?

QUOTE (oldsox @ Aug 23, 2017 -> 09:24 PM)
Who was better between those two guys? I say Fisk.

Munson for me in the short time he played. .333 lifetime avg. with RISP. I think his last game he played was at Comiskey Park. I was there. Fisk was a freak of nature and his better years was in Chicago. You wont see anyone like that. If you do in the American league they will make them play 1B. There was Simmons, Bench, Fisk, and Munson, all household names. It isn't like that any more.

Edited by kitekrazy

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 24, 2017 -> 01:49 AM)
Munson for me in the short time he played. .333 lifetime avg. with RISP. I think his last game he played was at Comiskey Park. I was there. Fisk was a freak of nature and his better years was in Chicago. You wont see anyone like that. If you do in the American league they will make them play 1B. There was Simmons, Bench, Fisk, and Munson, all household names. It isn't like that any more.

No way were fisks better years in chicago