We could talk about Hawk to pass the time

Jerksticks

QUOTE (reiks12 @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 10:46 AM)
Hawk and Wimpy were the reasons I became a Sox fan. Since Haray died my fandom became clear (my dad grew up in NY and moved to Chicago when I was born).

Me too brother! One of my earlier memories of my favorite Hawk's calls (aside from his HR calls for Warren Newson...the DEACON!) was the last out of the game when we won the West division in 93. It was simple...Ellis Buuuuuuuks...YES!!!!

Just wondering...has anyone read or heard anything from Hawk about the "rebuild?" Last comments I can remember from him were hoping the Cubs win the series and that JR will certainly be spurred on because of what the Cubs did.

Haven't seen / heard anything since then.

Mark

• 1 month later...

I really wanna know how Hawk handles the rebuild/s***ty teams the next three years. Doing only road games, he's going to be broadcasting probably 7 losses every 10 games. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who is interested in following daily progress of minor leaguers. The guy played in the bigs for 20 seasons. He doesn't give a flip about minor league baseball is my guess.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 17, 2017 -> 10:55 PM)
I really wanna know how Hawk handles the rebuild/s***ty teams the next three years. Doing only road games, he's going to be broadcasting probably 7 losses every 10 games. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who is interested in following daily progress of minor leaguers. The guy played in the bigs for 20 seasons. He doesn't give a flip about minor league baseball is my guess.

Hawk f***ing loves minor leaguers.

Without Hawk and Wimpy I am a Cubs fan right now.

My dad was a NY fan growing up but encouraged me to follow a baseball team of the city I was born and raised in. During my youth I was a fan of both teams because lets face it, how do you hate on Carey and Stone? How do you hate on Wimpy and Hawk (Hawk at his best imo)? Then Carey died. I found Chip to be unbearable. Then I was old enough to have conversations with Cubs fans.. "WHY WOULD YOU CHEER FOR THE SOX? ARE YOU A (fill in the blank for insult, I heard it all)?" Sox fans at my High school were cool and were always willing to talk baseball.

Anyways without Hawk I probably become a Cubs fan. He drew me in and I felt like I was watching games because I felt comfortable hearing him. He is the Sox fan family tie I never had.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 18, 2017 -> 06:02 AM)
Hawk f***ing loves minor leaguers.

I guess he'll spend most of the games telling stories about the past and commenting on the minor leaguers then. I always thought he hated the idea of broadcasting horrific baseball.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 19, 2017 -> 10:38 PM)
I guess he'll spend most of the games telling stories about the past and commenting on the minor leaguers then. I always thought he hated the idea of broadcasting horrific baseball.

Nah, he's the #1 hype man

Sanchez, Morel, etc., Hawk loves them all.

He actually talks about this on Garfien's White Sox Talk podcast, you should check it out