Ray Rice Cut and Suspended Indefinitely

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Espn, of all networks, calling this new video the biggest black eye in the history if the league (poor choice of words but for them to criticize anything NFL like that is huge). Rice should be banned at least for the year, if not longer. Can't believe the nfl had thus video before and decided on two games. Goodell did not want to wake up to this this morning.

Just think about the press conference they had when she apologized over and over. and the countless times the Baltimore organization has gone out of its way to make sure everyone knows that Rice is a great guy.

Nice job Goodell. Good job, good effort

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 08:33 AM)
Just think about the press conference they had when she apologized over and over. and the countless times the Baltimore organization has gone out of its way to make sure everyone knows that Rice is a great guy.

Nice job Goodell. Good job, good effort

This is the worst part about it IMO. The team had a press conference where she apologized for her "role" in the incident. Are you kidding me?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 09:39 AM)
This is the worst part about it IMO. The team had a press conference where she apologized for her "role" in the incident. Are you kidding me?

This is pretty common stuff in the event of an abusive relationship, btw. The team and the league are the ones who are supposed to be smarter than that and realize how that will come off to the rest of the world. The commissioner shouldn't have met with her regarding the punishment and citing her statements in why he came to his conclusion regarding the suspension length was a clear statement that the league took no steps to understand domestic violence prior to making their call.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 08:20 AM)
Awful new video of what Ray Rice actually did in the elevator leaked today.

Disclaimer: It's brutal. He needs to be suspended for a lot longer after witnessing this

http://m.tmz.com/videos/0-ekaflcqq/

Talk about getting knocked out...Jesus.

Yeah, he should be suspended for a longer period than 2 games, at least that times 4.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 02:39 PM)

I wonder if she even remembers it. How terrible would it be if she was fed these ideas that she was at fault. Like Balta says, common. But worse, with the league going along with it.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 08:37 AM)
It's a very slight chance of course, but I could imagine a scenario where Goodell is forced to resign.

Come on, let's have some perspective here. Rice is a terrible human being and he did a terrible thing, but he didn't murder someone. He didn't get his 6th DUI.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 11:02 AM)
Come on, let's have some perspective here. Rice is a terrible human being and he did a terrible thing, but he didn't murder someone. He didn't get his 6th DUI.

If Goodell is lying about not having the seen the video, then yes, we could see a situation where there is pressure on him to resign.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 10:05 AM)
If Goodell is lying about not having the seen the video, then yes, we could see a situation where there is pressure on him to resign.

Pressure from who? You think he or the owners give a s*** about what the fans think? He made (and makes) the owners a s*** ton of money. He's not going anywhere.

I almost think it's worse that he has seen it. Since they already had all evidence, there is no sudden escalation they can take. There should be more accountability for this, and I don't see how they can do that with their current set-up.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 10:13 AM)
I don't see how this video changes everything. We already knew Rice knocked her out, to have some new reactions is childish. The suspension was sickeningly short before, and it remains sickenly short now.

There was the chance (albeit slim) that she was being incredibly violent with him before we saw the video. That isn't the case after watching it so having a new reaction to the video isn't childish at all.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 08:13 AM)
I don't see how this video changes everything. We already knew Rice knocked her out, to have some new reactions is childish. The suspension was sickeningly short before, and it remains sickenly short now.

I think human is a better phrase.

I knew there was a video, and I also assumed he must have whacked her pretty good to leave her unconscious, but to see him just knock her the f*** out like that really adds an additional layer of disgust to this.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 03:13 PM)

Well, all the hit job pieces about women "provoking it", and then to see how unprovoked it was. It doesn't make it right if she was hitting him like Solange in the elevator, but it certainly looks so much worse when it was a completely out of nowhere, incredible force. And then kicking her to get up.

Wait, you guys mean to tell me you expected the Rice video to be something more benign than that? We knew he knocked her unconscious. Yes it's a bit shocking to see the actually violence, but this is exactly what I thought happened in the elevator. Still shoud have been a longer suspension based on the first video. My guess is goddell will use the new video as a reason to correct his mistake, which is good, I just can't believe that anyone would have expected the video to have shown anything different based on what we already knew (ie his wife being colmpletely knocked out cold by a punch.)

Don't get me wrong, rice is a huge scumbag, I guess I'm just surprised that so many people thought the elevator video would show something different and are now shocked by this.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 10:23 AM)
Wait, you guys mean to tell me you expected the Rice video to be something more benign than that? We knew he knocked her unconscious. Yes it's a bit shocking to see the actually violence, but this is exactly what I thought happened in the elevator. Still shoud have been a longer suspension based on the first video. My guess is goddell will use the new video as a reason to correct his mistake, which is good, I just can't believe that anyone would have expected the video to have shown anything different based on what we already knew (ie his wife being colmpletely knocked out cold by a punch.)

Don't get me wrong, rice is a huge scumbag, I guess I'm just surprised that so many people thought the elevator video would show something different and are now shocked by this.

Agreed.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 10:07 AM)
Pressure from who? You think he or the owners give a s*** about what the fans think? He made (and makes) the owners a s*** ton of money. He's not going anywhere.

The extreme pressure before this video was ever released did the impossible: it got Roger Goodell to publicly apologize and look weak. I fully expect the outrage to be 10x what it was before now that the video is out. If the right people are loud enough for long enough to keep this in the headlines (and the nfl is powerless to act swiftly) than more people in power for the nfl will begin to care.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 10:23 AM)

It's simple: people are emotional. Seeing it happen is a lot different than imagining it. Also the nfl media machine's message before this release was loud and clear: if you saw the whole video than you'd understand why Rice only got two games. It was easy to believe for a lot of people without evidence otherwise. That changed today.