Planned Parenthood videos

Cknolls

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 12:42 PM)
BTW, when does the nonpartisan Justice Dept decide to investigate these criminals at Planned Parenthood?

I know.......Cold day in Hell....

You and I both know that they will instead worry about what laws, if any, were broken in procuring those tapes instead of any wrongdoing that they show.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 01:41 PM)
A billion birds dead from housecats? And no, that number is US only.

I've seen estimates from ~500 million to >2 billion. Hard to count obviously since cats actually will eat them, but yes, cats kill an ungodly number of birds per year.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 12:45 PM)
You and I both know that they will instead worry about what laws, if any, were broken in procuring those tapes instead of any wrongdoing that they show.

But since there's no wrongdoing shown, there's not really anything to investigate.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 12:48 PM)
But since there's no wrongdoing shown, there's not really anything to investigate.

Using ultrasound to harvest body parts is an everyday practice at PP? or are they altering their practices(illegal) to achieve an end result?

Just cut the HHS budget by $500 million and you solve this problem...If asshole wants to veto it, let him.After all he supports killing babies born alive

1) There's no wrongdoing here. Shouting about it more without actually backing it up doesn't change that. Medical procedures can sound "gross" when described bluntly and emotionless, but that would apply to other tissue, organ and cadaver donations as well.

2) Cutting the HHS budget by $500 million means that a whole lot of reproductive services will be gutted over another faux hidden camera video scandal.

edit: and since you're so concerned about wrongdoing, you may be interested to know that a judge has issued an injunction against them releasing any more of their secretly recorded and heavily edited videos as they may have violated confidentiality agreements. They appear to be willfully violating that restraining order.

Edited by StrangeSox

BTW, when does the nonpartisan Justice Dept decide to investigate these criminals at Planned Parenthood?

I know.......Cold day in Hell....

I'm not entirely sure what PP is doing is illegal. It's horrible, awful and disgusting, but I don't know for sure that it's illegal.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 02:23 PM)
I'm not entirely sure what PP is doing is illegal. It's horrible, awful and disgusting, but I don't know for sure that it's illegal.

They are accused of selling body parts. They CLAIM they have permission ahead of time to sell for research, to 'recoup' their costs. However that remains to be seen, since the make profits in the multi millions. They are also accused of altering their procedures in order to be ABLE to harvest more organs to sell. Changing the procedures for reasons like that is against the law. They are also accused of aborting some babies that were actually born alive, but that hasn't come out yet on any of the videos. And they also released the full videos, but all people like SS keep screaming is 'edited! edited!'.

Besides, with Obamacare, why is PP even needed? Shouldn't all this stuff be covered?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 01:33 PM)
1) There's no wrongdoing here. Shouting about it more without actually backing it up doesn't change that. Medical procedures can sound "gross" when described bluntly and emotionless, but that would apply to other tissue, organ and cadaver donations as well.

2) Cutting the HHS budget by $500 million means that a whole lot of reproductive services will be gutted over another faux hidden camera video scandal.

edit: and since you're so concerned about wrongdoing, you may be interested to know that a judge has issued an injunction against them releasing any more of their secretly recorded and heavily edited videos as they may have violated confidentiality agreements. They appear to be willfully violating that restraining order.

A judge that is a major Obama supported and bundler, of course. No bias there, either.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 01:33 PM)

Good for them....A liberal judge from Frisco whose wife was a bundler for Obama...The Tides Foundation could cover that, so too could Soros...Everything is always gutted..This govt NEEDS gutting...

Edited by Cknolls

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 02:54 PM)
They are accused of selling body parts. They CLAIM they have permission ahead of time to sell for research, to 'recoup' their costs. However that remains to be seen, since the make profits in the multi millions.

Abortions are something like 3% of their total business. For fetal tissue donations, they receive less than $100--about what it costs to process medical material in a safe, sterile and controlled manner. This is almost as bad as being duped by The Onion "abortion megaplex" articles.

They are also accused of altering their procedures in order to be ABLE to harvest more organs to sell. Changing the procedures for reasons like that is against the law. They are also accused of aborting some babies that were actually born alive, but that hasn't come out yet on any of the videos

People have been making stuff up about Planned Parenthood (and other reproductive services providers) forever. Unsubstantiated accusations aren't worth anything.

And they also released the full videos, but all people like SS keep screaming is 'edited! edited!'.

First, they release the heavily edited and misleading videos. That gets people all worked up, that's what gets the headlines. When people actually comb through the entire thing, it's apparent that the initial presentation was all a big lie, but that doesn't get the coverage and the circulation like the initial edits do, and it certainly doesn't stop Congressmen from embarrassing themselves by voting to remove funding from Planned Parenthood. It's like James O'Keefe all over again.

Besides, with Obamacare, why is PP even needed? Shouldn't all this stuff be covered?

PP still provides valuable services to millions of Americans annually.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 03:05 PM)
Really? Got a link for that? What else do they do, mammograms? because according to this, they don't operate ANY mammogram facilities.

http://thefederalist.com/2015/08/03/guess-...arenthood-runs/

I'm sure an article that starts out with this is an honest, good-faith take on the situation:

Planned Parenthood is under fire for organ trafficking admissions made by its senior executives in a series of undercover videos released over the last month. The videos, four of which have been released so far, show numerous top Planned Parenthood officials acknowledging the purchase and sale of aborted baby parts and haggling over their prices.

Even if they don't operate any "mammogram facilities," that doesn't say anything about their overall funding or service structure. I hope you realize that your argument there doesn't really say anything.

They do perform breast exams and refer people to mammogram facilities if needed. If you want to know what services they provide and how they come to their 3% number, you can read through their annual report. You'll find that the majority of their services are for STD testing/treatment/prevention, contraception and pregnancy testing.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 03:31 PM)
O'Malley, quoting a press release, from PP, on Politifact. Get me a CBO link or something.

I linked you to PP's annual report. Politifact also contains a link to that same report, and they even do you the favor of pulling out the numbers from the report for analysis.

Why do you think the Congressional Budget Office would be documenting the different services provided by Planned Parenthood?

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 04:05 PM)
Really? Got a link for that? What else do they do, mammograms? because according to this, they don't operate ANY mammogram facilities.

http://thefederalist.com/2015/08/03/guess-...arenthood-runs/

Well, in 2014, here's how a breakdown of their services looked. This is one a per-service basis; that is, if I came in and got 1 STD test, that would count as 1. If I got a second, that would also count as 1 for a total of 2.

41%, the largest portion of all the categories they have, is devoted to STD testing and treatment. The vast majority within are tests for common STDs with quite a few HIV tests as well.

34% of services are for birth control. Most of these are "reversible" forms of contraception, which is anything other than a sterilization. They list emergency contraception separately, which is a large portion of the birth control services that they provide (this is the Plan B pill). In case you were wondering, they performed 3,749 vasectomies in 2013. Based on a formula for likelihood of pregnancy, they estimate that they prevented just over 500,000 unintended pregnancies in the year.

10% of services are cancer screening and preventative services. There is a near even split between pap smears and breast exams. And no, they do not provide mammograms. Clinicians will do manual examinations and people can come to PP for subsidized referrals to mammogram providers. HPV vaccinations and some other procedures are also provided. 90,000 people had their cancer detected via PP services in the year.

11% are "other women's health services", which is almost solely pregnancy tests. They also give some prenatal care to expecting mothers.

There is 1% that falls under "other services," which encompasses 41,000 people who received family practice services from a doctor, 53,000 people who were treated for urinary tract infections, and a few who were sent to adoption agencies or received other services.

And of course PP provides abortions, which account for 3% of all services rendered. 327,166 people receive abortion procedures in some way, shape, or form in 2013.

And to be clear for another poster who mentioned this, Planned Parenthood is a non-profit. The vast majority of revenue comes from private donors and government grants.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 03:34 PM)
I linked you to PP's annual report. Politifact also contains a link to that same report, and they even do you the favor of pulling out the numbers from the report for analysis.

Why do you think the Congressional Budget Office would be documenting the different services provided by Planned Parenthood?

I can see the link, but as is often the case here at work, it doesn't always go to the links. So yeah, I checked it out as well as you checked the unedited videos.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 03:42 PM)
Well, in 2014, here's how a breakdown of their services looked. This is one a per-service basis; that is, if I came in and got 1 STD test, that would count as 1. If I got a second, that would also count as 1 for a total of 2.

41%, the largest portion of all the categories they have, is devoted to STD testing and treatment. The vast majority within are tests for common STDs with quite a few HIV tests as well.

34% of services are for birth control. Most of these are "reversible" forms of contraception, which is anything other than a sterilization. They list emergency contraception separately, which is a large portion of the birth control services that they provide (this is the Plan B pill). In case you were wondering, they performed 3,749 vasectomies in 2013. Based on a formula for likelihood of pregnancy, they estimate that they prevented just over 500,000 unintended pregnancies in the year.

10% of services are cancer screening and preventative services. There is a near even split between pap smears and breast exams. And no, they do not provide mammograms. Clinicians will do manual examinations and people can come to PP for subsidized referrals to mammogram providers. HPV vaccinations and some other procedures are also provided. 90,000 people had their cancer detected via PP services in the year.

11% are "other women's health services", which is almost solely pregnancy tests. They also give some prenatal care to expecting mothers.

There is 1% that falls under "other services," which encompasses 41,000 people who received family practice services from a doctor, 53,000 people who were treated for urinary tract infections, and a few who were sent to adoption agencies or received other services.

And of course PP provides abortions, which account for 3% of all services rendered. 327,166 people receive abortion procedures in some way, shape, or form in 2013.

And to be clear for another poster who mentioned this, Planned Parenthood is a non-profit. The vast majority of revenue comes from private donors and government grants.

So what do they do there that can't be done elsewhere thanks to Obamacare?

And I like the way you counted the STD tests at the top. So if they run a test for several of the most common STDs, does that count as 7 services?

edit: how did this reply make it in THIS thread?

Edited by Alpha Dog

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 03:48 PM)
I can see the link, but as is often the case here at work, it doesn't always go to the links. So yeah, I checked it out as well as you checked the unedited videos.

This argument doesn't make any sense, either.

I have not watched the full, unedited videos, but a lot of people have, and they have reported the various ways the edited versions are heavily misleading. They and others have also pointed out that there is zero wrong-doing shown in the videos, even if what they are discussing sounds unpleasant or 'gross' to many people. I'm sure the process to harvest organs from an organ donor isn't very pleasant sounding either and hospitals do recoup costs there as well, but that doesn't mean we should oppose organ donation.

That's not similar to you balking at a simple factual claim, linking to The Federalist saying that they don't offer mammogram services (which I didn't claim they did), balking when both Balta and I provided with links to the information indicating there services and then trying to turn this string of bad-faith arguments back on me.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 04:49 PM)
edit: how did this reply make it in THIS thread?

I just moved a bunch of posts into the other thread, sometimes things bounce into the wrong forum right after that happens, honestly beats me. Moved it over for you.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 04:00 PM)
I just moved a bunch of posts into the other thread, sometimes things bounce into the wrong forum right after that happens, honestly beats me. Moved it over for you.

I thought that is what happened, but you never know.