Who's on Second?

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 26, 2015 -> 09:53 AM)
Our own Rob Young (southside hitman) takes an in-depth look at the five-man field vying for the starting job at second base. This is a really good primer on the pros and cons for all five.

Who do you think wins the job, and why?

I imagine by now everyone knows where everyone else stands, but I'm Team Sanchez. I know the injury sucked for Johnson, but he needs to show something above Birmingham before he's handed a starting role. And him hitting .450 in spring wouldn't change my opinion because as we all know, Spring Training stats are stupid.

The defensive state of the Sox also requires putting somebody steady anywhere they can, in order to mitigate the problems at other spots. Sanchez is the only one who qualifies because Bonifacio is needed elsewhere and Gordon Beckham is bad.

Team Sanchez. Said it since September, but I really like Micah as well. Just prefer the younger Venezuelan who've I admittedly have been high on since seeing him in the futures game turning on a 100 MPH heater for XB.

Edited by SoxAce

I think the org is leaning towards Johnson. My big question with him is the defense. If he looks like he can field the position competently, then I'm Team Micah. And with his speed and range and athleticism, even if he makes the occasional boneheaded error, he can make up for some or all of that. But if Johnson looks like the glove needs more work or he just isn't able to get on base, then I'm good with Sanchez.

Johnson, because he was on the fast track last year. He would have been up in September, and I don't think they're going to hold that against him as long as he plays well enough in spring.

This is just what I think is happening.

Personally, I've seen very little of Micah Johnson play, so I'm looking forward to seeing him get regular at bats starting next week.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Feb 26, 2015 -> 11:10 AM)
I really think it's Micah's job to lose. At this point Sanchez may be a little better, but the difference shouldn't be much and because the Sox view Micah Johnson as the future they are going to give him every opportunity to prove himself.

This is how I feel too. I feel like if Johnson shows he can handle it this Spring, it'll be his. If he can't, they'll go with Sanchez.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 26, 2015 -> 11:18 AM)
This is how I feel too. I feel like if Johnson shows he can handle it this Spring, it'll be his. If he can't, they'll go with Sanchez.

That's what I think as well. Just because he wasn't much at AAA shouldn't play a role. Many guys have gone from AA to the major leagues. I think the Sox will be very dissappointed if Micah has a poor spring and winds up in AAA. Now is a good time to break him in. He can hit 9th. I am worried about the glove.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 26, 2015 -> 11:42 AM)
That's what I think as well. Just because he wasn't much at AAA shouldn't play a role. Many guys have gone from AA to the major leagues. I think the Sox will be very dissappointed if Micah has a poor spring and winds up in AAA. Now is a good time to break him in. He can hit 9th. I am worried about the glove.

The other thing I think about when considering this is the respective floors versus their ceilings. I think Beckham and Sanchez will both be below average players, but Johnson has the talent to at least be an average starter or better, while his floor is that of a guy who is a replacement level player. There's not a huge difference in overall value between a replacement player and Beckham/Sanchez at this point.

The reason I think Sanchez is the better fit for this team is his defensive ability. With the question marks on the corners having a strong defense up the middle is essential and we know Carlos can at least bring that.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 26, 2015 -> 10:18 AM)

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 26, 2015 -> 10:42 AM)

Agreed with these.

I've seen "The Sox want Micah to win the job" an awful lot in the last few months and I'm curious what is making people say that so often. Is there something specific you can point to? Just that's he the better prospect and they want all the better prospects to do well? I think I have an idea but I want to hear what people say first.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Feb 26, 2015 -> 12:18 PM)
I've seen "The Sox want Micah to win the job" an awful lot in the last few months and I'm curious what is making people say that so often. Is there something specific you can point to? Just that's he the better prospect and they want all the better prospects to do well? I think I have an idea but I want to hear what people say first.

Between Hawk and the beat writers you can just tell that the organization really likes the guy.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 26, 2015 -> 12:17 PM)
Any chance they decide they can use Sanchez, Beckham, and Bonifcacio as their bench, basically declaring that they all will "figure out" how to play OF spots?

I would guess they would want either Sanchez or Johnson, playing every day in AAA vs. riding pine in Chicago.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 26, 2015 -> 12:17 PM)
Any chance they decide they can use Sanchez, Beckham, and Bonifcacio as their bench, basically declaring that they all will "figure out" how to play OF spots?

Bonifacio already can do it. Therefore I think that may very well BE the bench (along with Soto or Brantly), if Johnson gets the 2B job. Sanchez and Beckham can play all the skill IF positions and Sanchez has enough speed to be a good PR, Bonifacio is the backup OF.

That said, I don't think that's the best use of the skills at hand. If you only have three non-C bench spots open, I don't like the idea of having two of them play basically the same three positions.

My personal preference would be to go with a bench of Sanchez (skill INF), Taylor (OF), and Bonifacio (all over). Gives you layers everywhere.