Chris Sale has a foot injury

Baron

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chicago White Sox ‏@whitesox 28s28 seconds ago

Chris Sale suffered an avulsion fracture on his right foot in an accident at his home yesterday. He is expected to be sidelined 3 weeks.

Chicago White Sox @whitesox · 27s 28 seconds ago

Sale underwent x-rays this am & will undergo further tests once swelling subsides. His status for Opening Day will be better determined then

https://twitter.com/whitesox

QUOTE (Dunt @ Feb 28, 2015 -> 01:34 PM)
Much more worried that this will affect his arm prep leading up to the season

this....over or under compensation on his motion? But what do I know...I'm not a doctor. But this is a weird injury bug that's hit Chicago sports this week.

White Sox ace Chris Sale out 3 weeks with foot injury

Posted: 02/28/2015, 11:59am | Daryl Van Schouwen

White Sox lefty Chris Sale.

GLENDALE, Ariz. – White Sox ace Chris Sale suffered an avulsion fracture on the lateral side of his right foot in an accident at his home Friday and is expected to be out three weeks.

Sale, 25, had x-rays take Saturday morning at Banner Estrella Hospital in Glendale, Ariz. The Sox released a statement that said Sale “will undergo further tests once the swelling in his foot has subsided. At that point, his status for Opening Day will be better determined.”

Sale was not forthcoming about how the injury occurred. He joked that it happened during an encounter with an intruder.

“Obviously the concerns are that I’ve got a swollen foot and you are like oh, crap that really hurts,” Sale said. “But things happen and you can’t really, it was really just a freak incident. I’ve just done it a million times and this time it didn’t work out so well.”

General manager Rick Hahn said Sale hurt himself unloading his truck but deferred to Sale for details.

“The prognosis is positive,” Hahn said. “We’re going to be looking at a three-week period here where he’s going to allow the fracture to heal and then resume baseball activity after he has being fully recovered in about three weeks. We do not know about his status for Opening Day. We obviously want to see how the next three weeks go and see where his arm strength is as we continue to build him back up.

“Clearly we will err on the side of caution as we have with Chris in the past or with any other injury and we’ll know more in the coming weeks and keep you posted in terms of his progress and our plans for the start of the season.”

“I guess it’s as good as it can possibly be,” Sale said. “It’s early. Three weeks, worst case, maybe touch or two longer than that. But we are still here in spring. I don’t see this trickling on into the regular season at all.

I’m not a doctor. I’m here to do my rehab and get it right as fast as I can. That’s what I’m going to do.”

Sale finished third in the American League Cy Young Award voting last season.

General manager Rick Hahn and Sale are expected to talk to reporters soon.

Details