The 25-man right now

flavum

Instead of having offshoots of Beckham and Penny talk in the Sale thread, let's just talk about the 25-man right now.

Here's what I got...

Lineup: Eaton CF, Cabrera LF, Abreu 1B, LaRoche DH, Garcia RF, Ramirez SS, Gillaspie 3B, Flowers C, Johnson 2B

Bench: Bonifacio UTL, Beckham IF, Shuck OF, Soto C

Rotation: Samardzija, Quintana, Noesi, Danks, Penny

Bullpen: Albers, Webb, Jennings, Petricka, Putnam, Duke, Robertson

DL: Sale, Crain, Jones (60-day)

On the fence about Webb. He'll have a short leash if he sucks in April, and Crain is ready.

The three guys to move off the 40-man:

Leury gets traded

Guerra and Brantly get moved off the roster too.

Edited by flavum

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 03:52 PM)
Instead of having offshoots of Beckham and Penny talk in the Sale thread, let's just talk about the 25-man right now.

Here's what I got...

Lineup: Eaton CF, Cabrera LF, Abreu 1B, LaRoche DH, Garcia RF, Ramirez SS, Gillaspie RF, Flowers C, Johnson 2B

On the fence about Webb. He'll have a short leash if he sucks in April, and Crain is ready.

Leury gets traded

nice work, on paper this team even looks better than i thought.

all i will say for now, and i hate to even think i am wrong, but i am a Webb fan. so i am bias right now.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 09:52 AM)

Here's what I got...

Lineup: Eaton CF, Cabrera LF, Abreu 1B, LaRoche DH, Garcia RF, Ramirez SS, Gillaspie RF, Flowers C, Johnson 2B

Leury gets traded

Maybe we could package him for Alex Rios if the Royals fall out of it.

I think I'd swap Webb for Guerra right now. Webb just doesn't have it right now.

Here's what I got...

Lineup: Eaton CF, Cabrera LF, Abreu 1B, LaRoche DH, Garcia RF, Ramirez SS, Gillaspie 3B, Flowers C, Johnson 2B

Leury gets traded

I think Cleto and Guerra are both above Webb right now, and Webb has options (I believe Cleto and Guerra do not).

Also, you get nothing in trade for Leury, except some minor league org filler. Which is fine, as I see no reason to keep Leury around when we have Bonifacio and Beckham in MLB and Saladino and Sanchez in AAA.

Looks about right otherwise though.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 10:20 AM)
I think Cleto and Guerra are both above Webb right now, and Webb has options (I believe Cleto and Guerra do not).

Also, you get nothing in trade for Leury, except some minor league org filler. Which is fine, as I see no reason to keep Leury around when we have Bonifacio and Beckham in MLB and Saladino and Sanchez in AAA.

Looks about right otherwise though.

I should have said Leury gets traded for "cash considerations", just to give him an opportunity elsewhere. Obviously, they aren't getting anything real for him. Maybe they'll release him at the end of spring training if no particular team wants him in their system.

Edited by flavum

Here's what I got...

Leury gets traded

I don't see anyway Webb makes the roster. He's performed terribly, has struggle with control, and has options. I'd much rather keep Cleto, who is out of options and would likely be claimed. Guerra is a better option, too.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 08:52 AM)

Here's what I got...

Leury gets traded

One interesting thing about your projection is that there's no long-man/swing-man. I can't remember, have the Sox gone north without one before? It seems like they'd want a guy who could make a last-minute start or bail John Danks out of 2nd inning homerfest.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 01:16 PM)
One interesting thing about your projection is that there's no long-man/swing-man. I can't remember, have the Sox gone north without one before? It seems like they'd want a guy who could make a last-minute start or bail John Danks out of 2nd inning homerfest.

Which would be a good spot for a Brad Penny, if healthy.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 01:16 PM)

Webb and Albers can go 2-3 innings each, I guess they would have to share that role.

QUOTE (Señor Ding-Dong @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 12:54 PM)
I don't see anyway Webb makes the roster. He's performed terribly, has struggle with control, and has options. I'd much rather keep Cleto, who is out of options and would likely be claimed. Guerra is a better option, too.

I'm definitely on the fence about Webb, but Cleto just sucks. I'd rather have Guerra stay than him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 12:17 PM)
Which would be a good spot for a Brad Penny, if healthy.

Definitely, especially if he's really "touching 94." I imagine a relief roles in the MLB would be preferable to a starting role in the minors for him at this stage in his career.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 08:13 PM)
Definitely, especially if he's really "touching 94." I imagine a relief roles in the MLB would be preferable to a starting role in the minors for him at this stage in his career.

especially like the strength of this team. oh yeah, being part of a playoff team.

Yeah, Webb probably is heading to Charlotte with the way he's been pitching.

Also starting to think they'll push back Shuck getting added until Sale does too, and they just go with 13 pitchers until then.

Albers, Cleto, Guerra, Duke, Jennings, Putnam, Petricka, and Robertson in the pen. Maybe Penny instead of Cleto if they think Sale will be ready on the 12th...which I still don't think will happen.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 24, 2015 -> 10:24 AM)
Yeah, Webb probably is heading to Charlotte with the way he's been pitching.

Also starting to think they'll push back Shuck getting added until Sale does too, and they just go with 13 pitchers until then.

Albers, Cleto, Guerra, Duke, Jennings, Putnam, Petricka, and Robertson in the pen. Maybe Penny instead of Cleto if they think Sale will be ready on the 12th...which I still don't think will happen.

13 pitchers?

QUOTE (shysocks @ Mar 24, 2015 -> 04:09 PM)
They didn't rule out 8 in the bullpen to start the year earlier this spring. I don't think it'd be a great idea either.

If Sox have eight relievers, let's see if they have the longest games in the majors during that span.

I'm always amused at the "Sox should move ____ to give him a chance to play" suggestions. I'm not high on Leury in the slightest, but I think he has enough tools to see if you can turn him into a Bonafacio type player. Same goes for Wilkins. Probably a AAAA type hitter, but he's a better alternative for 1B/DH in the event of an injury than someone like Dan Black. At the end of the day, these guy are simply minor league depth, which is important to have over a 162 game season. We shouldn't be eager to get rid of these guys to give a slightly better chance at major league job somewhere else. They earn that right after 5 or 6 years when they become minor league free agents (or when their options run out). Until then, they are our minimally valuable assets and we should take advantage of them until their usefulness expires.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

If the Sox think that Nate Jones is going to be able to pitch this year, they won't put him on the sixty man DL. Otherwise, when Jones is ready to pitch (even on a rehab assignment), they would have to pull someone else off the 40-man roster.

If the Sox put Jones on the 60-day DL, that's pretty strong evidence that the club doesn't think he'll be ready until 2016.

QUOTE (BigFinn @ Mar 24, 2015 -> 06:03 PM)
If the Sox think that Nate Jones is going to be able to pitch this year, they won't put him on the sixty man DL. Otherwise, when Jones is ready to pitch (even on a rehab assignment), they would have to pull someone else off the 40-man roster.

If the Sox put Jones on the 60-day DL, that's pretty strong evidence that the club doesn't think he'll be ready until 2016.

I disagree. Guys always get dropped from the 40 man during the year, sometimes if they're struggling they can even be passed through waivers completely.