37 members have voted

1. 1. who?

• Carroll
    • Penny
    • Guerra
    • Cleto
    • Webb
    • Albers

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 07:42 PM)
Guessing Guerra and Albers. With one of Carroll or Penny taking the temporary Sale slot and then going down to Charlotte.

i will go with Carroll..... and Guerra, but i wish it will be Webb.

If Sale is on schedule for the 12th, they go 8 in the pen for the first 5 games

Albers, Guerra, Cleto make it-- then probably Cleto goes.

Sounds like Petricka and Robertson are dealing with soreness, so nothing will surprise me at this point.

They get on the plane to Charlotte a week from now.

Brandon Webb...

:huh: :angry: <_>

Just kidding. I'm not sure how well Albers will hold up health/stamina-wise over a full season, but we can't be TOO confident in Petricka/Putnam/Guerra not regressing.

Hopefully Crain becomes a big part of the picture at some point. That would provide a completely different feel to things...of course, we can't realistically expect 2012 Crain.

Robertson

Duke

Crain

Petricka

Putnam/Guerra/Albers/Webb/Leon/Cleto/Sanburn

Jennings

LONG MAN

That gives you four quality guys at the back end that are dependable/reliable, and some very nice arms/depth on the other side of the pen who can all threaten for increased roles.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 07:34 PM)
Carroll is terrible. Penny appears to be likewise.

Pick the best pitcher rather than worry about a long man. Guerra and either Cleto or Albers

Youre worrying about a pitcher being terrible and then suggested Cleto?

all the fans who are sox fan and not, knows of the improvement of the team.

now, overall, i am still stoke on the players. however, reading about the final 2 spots on the bullpen, can that derail this team??

i mean, i am trying hard to really find a fault in which the soxs needs to address, now we all know Penny, is not a factor imo. but the backend of the pen.

Since you can retro the DL 10 days in spring training, start the season with Sale on the DL, and have 8 relievers. The typical long man then won't be needed. Just another guy who could give you 2 innings in a pinch.

I don't understand people who would give JR and RH a standing ovation if they waived John Danks, yet have no problem with Brad Penny taking the mound for the White Sox. The guy hasn't been good since Alexei Ramirez left Cuba. If he were lights out this spring, I maybe could understand a spot start, but he has a 6.89 ERA and a 1.787 WHIP.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 08:54 AM)
I don't understand people who would give JR and RH a standing ovation if they waived John Danks, yet have no problem with Brad Penny taking the mound for the White Sox. The guy hasn't been good since Alexei Ramirez left Cuba. If he were lights out this spring, I maybe could understand a spot start, but he has a 6.89 ERA and a 1.787 WHIP.

Exactly. Penny wasn't even that good ever, he just got a lot of wins one season.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 08:54 AM)
Since you can retro the DL 10 days in spring training, start the season with Sale on the DL, and have 8 relievers. The typical long man then won't be needed. Just another guy who could give you 2 innings in a pinch.

I don't necessarily like Brad Penny in particular, but I do like the idea of having a veteran who could be an adequate swingman. Those guys are hard to come by because, if they're any good, someone will usually give them a full-time rotation spot.

FWIW, I'd be just as happy if that swingman was John Danks, but his velocity isn't touching the mid-90's in relief and I'm guessing he's not late enough into his career to accept a role like that willingly.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 06:34 PM)
Carroll is terrible.

Ehh, he was pretty good out of the pen in a limited sample size and he had his moments as a starter. I think he could be a decent swingman. A guy who can give us long relief and the occasional spot start would be nice.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 09:04 AM)
I don't necessarily like Brad Penny in particular, but I do like the idea of having a veteran who could be an adequate swingman. Those guys are hard to come by because, if they're any good, someone will usually give them a full-time rotation spot.

FWIW, I'd be just as happy if that swingman was John Danks, but his velocity isn't touching the mid-90's in relief and I'm guessing he's not late enough into his career to accept a role like that willingly.

I know Carroll isn't a veteran, but I'd much rather have him be the swingman or spot-starter than Penny at this point in their careers.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 01:54 PM)

i think there were a lot of problems and it was mention, but the sox owners group did not want to spend the money.