Rodon comped to "a young Carlton"

southsider2k5

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jon Morosi @jonmorosi · 2h 2 hours ago

Carlos Rodon belongs with #WhiteSox to open season, and teams can manipulate starter service time more easily than position player (1/2)

White Sox could option out Rodon for All-Star break breather to buy extra service year, or maybe he goes down when Sale is healthy.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 03:23 PM)
Then Rodon breaks his foot jumping from a hunting post and we're f***ed.

My scenerio is he makes the team, makes 2 starts, gets injured and winds up on the DL for the rest of the season. That would basically cost 2 years.

I don't understand these writers, it is 2 weeks as a rookie vs. an entire season when you should be at the peak of your career.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 08:26 PM)
Why is the media so invested in having Rodon up right away?

good question, ummm

could it be the underdog thingy, or fast ascendance of a media project superstar. i would like to hear other opinions.

Is there video of him pitching this season somewhere? Based on how he looked last season he needs some time to tweak his pitching motion, he does not appear to get enough flexion in his torso during his delivery which can lead to back issues (which he has had in college) and then arm problems from compensating for the back soreness. The Sox have a lot riding on him being successful and I think they need to make sure that he is going to be an asset for the long haul. If he has corrected that, I would be much more comfortable with him taking on a major league workload.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 03:32 PM)
good question, ummm

could it be the underdog thingy, or fast ascendance of a media project superstar. i would like to hear other opinions.

It gives them content fill pages. If the Sox said they were bringing him up there would be a ton of articles saying how the Sox need to keep him down to get him some more experience and preserve a year of service time. They just need to be oppositional to get people to read.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 01:19 PM)
Bernie Pleskoff ‏@BerniePleskoff 1h1 hour ago

Heard it from scout today: #WhiteSox Carlos Rodon reminds him of "young Steve Carlton." Not too shabby. I love what I've seen of Rodon.

I've liked everything I've seen from Rodon, however, I think when he goes to the minors he needs to really focus on throwing his fastball, change and cutter and go a handful of games without throwing more than X sliders (or even throwing the slider at all). It is the development of those other pitches (in addition to the obvious things like health) which will be the driver in whether he can reach his ceiling or not (and that ceiling is very high).

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 01:27 PM)
My scenerio is he makes the team, makes 2 starts, gets injured and winds up on the DL for the rest of the season. That would basically cost 2 years.

I don't understand these writers, it is 2 weeks as a rookie vs. an entire season when you should be at the peak of your career.

Not to mention, if Rodon comes up and is really good, you have a harder time saving him for the latter part of the season due to innings restrictions. Reality is we should have Rodon focusing on developmental pitches and aspects of his game in the minors and than give him a nice adjustment to the major league level while monitoring innings and almost having a built in "break" somewhere in the season to ensure that you can control his innings while building up his durability, etc.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 08:42 PM)
It gives them content fill pages. If the Sox said they were bringing him up there would be a ton of articles saying how the Sox need to keep him down to get him some more experience and preserve a year of service time. They just need to be oppositional to get people to read.

very nice logic....i like it.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 03:50 PM)
I've liked everything I've seen from Rodon, however, I think when he goes to the minors he needs to really focus on throwing his fastball, change and cutter and go a handful of games without throwing more than X sliders (or even throwing the slider at all). It is the development of those other pitches (in addition to the obvious things like health) which will be the driver in whether he can reach his ceiling or not (and that ceiling is very high).

Prior to yesterday's start, everyone seemed to think he needed to be in Charlotte for at least a couple months to work on his command and change-up. I don't see how one start, albeit a terrific one against the Royals A-Team, should change that. He had his slider working and that is why he was successful. He still needs to work on that change-up and overall command.

The media got a little too crazy with one great start which was just four innings.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 09:01 PM)
Prior to yesterday's start, everyone seemed to think he needed to be in Charlotte for at least a couple months to work on his command and change-up. I don't see how one start, albeit a terrific one against the Royals A-Team, should change that. He had his slider working and that is why he was successful. He still needs to work on that change-up and overall command.

The media got a little too crazy with one great start which was just four innings.

I'm thinking that Austin might have called for a lot more sliders than the other catchers have been, which resulted in him being more successful. With that said, he should continue to work on his fastball command and change-up in the spring instead of seeing how many strike outs he can get.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 04:01 PM)

I predicted this exact scenario a couple weeks ago - the media was going gangbusters with the "PROMOTE HIM" stuff, we knew he'd struggle and it would quiet them down, but one good outing would have them piping up again. Lo and behold.

He'll be in Charlotte and it's for perfectly legitimate baseball reasons. The service time stuff is a nice side effect.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 04:08 PM)
Chuck Garfien ‏@ChuckGarfien 35s35 seconds ago

Don Cooper: "Expect to see Carlos Rodon this year sometime. I can't tell you when, and for many years to come."

That's a mighty bold claim there Coop.

Kidding aside, I would be shocked if he doesn't start the year in the Charlotte rotation with a goal to work on his change-up and fastball command. He will come up when the Sox inevitably have an injury or cut/demote an under preforming reliever.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 02:40 PM)
Is there video of him pitching this season somewhere? Based on how he looked last season he needs some time to tweak his pitching motion, he does not appear to get enough flexion in his torso during his delivery which can lead to back issues (which he has had in college) and then arm problems from compensating for the back soreness. The Sox have a lot riding on him being successful and I think they need to make sure that he is going to be an asset for the long haul. If he has corrected that, I would be much more comfortable with him taking on a major league workload.

Are you PTAC's brother, lol?

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 03:01 PM)

Exactly the same as you'll see on Opening Day with one exception, Salvador Perez wasn't in the line-up.

Those K's, in other words, were all quite legit.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 05:01 PM)
Are you PTAC's brother, lol?

Don't know him personally but it looks like he learned pitching mechanics and abnormal tissue forces from the same people that I did!