Samardzija said he's not looking for "top dollar'' in

southsider2k5

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“I’m not looking for top dollar,” Samardzija said. ”For me, it’s good to see those guys are compensated. But I think if you look at maybe outside of Shields, who maybe didn’t get his first choice, you look at Jon and Max and couple other guys, the big thing for them is they went somewhere they wanted to go to, and they were excited about where they were going to.

Um, I'm pretty sure that Jon and Max both got top dollar.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 04:32 PM)
I'm just looking forward to his 33 starts, and hopefully some postseason baseball.

If he signs before November, it's gravy.

i totally agree with you...... come Nov, what ever happens, happens.

where is the time of a player going to a club he thinks will win it all.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 11:44 AM)
It's athlete speak. What's he supposed to say to a reporter? "Yeah, I just want the most money."

This is completely meaningless.

And if he has a good year, he will sign for an outrageous sum, but still come back with a mystery team offered him more.

He already is BSing. He said he wants to see how it is on the White Sox before he agrees to a contract. If the Red Sox offer him $120 million next winter, will he balk because he never played for the Red Sox and needs to see how it is first?

For his sake, he pretty much is answering the questions how he probably should, but free agency/money questions always have answers that 8 months later don't add up.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 11:53 AM)
And if he has a good year, he will sign for an outrageous sum, but still come back with a mystery team offered him more.

He already is BSing. He said he wants to see how it is on the White Sox before he agrees to a contract. If the Red Sox offer him $120 million next winter, will he balk because he never played for the Red Sox and needs to see how it is first?

For his sake, he pretty much is answering the questions how he probably should, but free agency/money questions always have answers that 8 months later don't add up.

Exactly, he's just saying what you say. I'm not gonna hold it against him if he bolts for a better offer and point back to this quote.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 11:44 AM)
That quote actually makes me think it's more likely he stays here.

Exactly. There is a lot of common ground between what Samard has said since he got here, and what the White Sox have to offer him. I think it gets done.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 11:44 AM)
It's athlete speak. What's he supposed to say to a reporter? "Yeah, I just want the most money."

This is completely meaningless.

Athlete's say things without saying them all of the time. Usually they talk about market rates and "respect" instead of dollars, but they will say it if you are listening.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 06:21 PM)
I'd be shocked if the White Sox outbid everyone else like the Cubs and Nationals with the other two guys.

I highly doubt he goes back to the Cubs, and I think the Cubs would be much more interested in Price and Zimmermann. I've seen the Red Sox connected to Cueto a lot.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 06:20 PM)
Exactly. There is a lot of common ground between what Samard has said since he got here, and what the White Sox have to offer him. I think it gets done.

His comments are different than what everyone was suggesting over the last year, where they said he would want top dollar in order to help out his peers and the union. Not that I'm saying he still won't do that, but his comments should be perceived as a positive for the Sox.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 12:32 PM)
His comments are different than what everyone was suggesting over the last year, where they said he would want top dollar in order to help out his peers and the union. Not that I'm saying he still won't do that, but his comments should be perceived as a positive for the Sox.

People have said that about Samardjiza. Jeff, however, has NOT said that. The guy has seemed like the type of guy who will tell you what is on his mind, so I am giving him the benefit of the doubt here.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 12:45 PM)
People have said that about Samardjiza. Jeff, however, has NOT said that. The guy has seemed like the type of guy who will tell you what is on his mind, so I am giving him the benefit of the doubt here.

Actually, he has said he has a responsibility to the Player's Association.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 11:47 AM)
Actually, he has said he has a responsibility to the Player's Association.

Yeah I'll believe the hometown discount narrative when I see it. It just doesn't make a lot of sense for either player or team to get this thing done without hitting free agency. We need to see what we have before going out a limb, and by the time we see that, Jeff is going to have no reason not to see other offers anyway.

Of course, I made a similar logic-based argument about how there was no way we were going to trade for him in the first place, and I was obviously dead wrong. So, who knows. It just doesn't make sense to me.

QUOTE ( @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 11:29 AM)
I'm calling BS on this. If he wasn't looking for "top dollar" in a contract, he would've signed an extension with the Sox already.

Not true. He wants to get to know everyone longer and get a feel for the organization. That doesn't mean he should go sign a lesser deal now.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 01:38 PM)
Not true. He wants to get to know everyone longer and get a feel for the organization. That doesn't mean he should go sign a lesser deal now.

Then answer this. If he plays out the season, really likes playing for the White Sox but they offer him $20 million less than another team he has never played for, so any of this "getting to know each other" would start all over again, do you really think he would sign with the White Sox?

The fact is, he says he has to "get to know" the White Sox, but when he is a free agent, unless he signs with a team he has already played with, he already knows more about the White Sox, than he does that team.

It is about the money. The White Sox may be able to be short, but only slightly. You don't risk what he is risking carrying this out to free agency if money isn't one of the highest priorities. He can sign right now for more money than he or a couple of generations of his family will ever need.

All these "reading between the lines" posts are fantasy. He said he doesn't want to discuss a contract during the season. He wants to be a free agent. That isn't a guy who seems destined to stay.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 01:45 PM)
Then answer this. If he plays out the season, really likes playing for the White Sox but they offer him $20 million less than another team he has never played for, so any of this "getting to know each other" would start all over again, do you really think he would sign with the White Sox?

The fact is, he says he has to "get to know" the White Sox, but when he is a free agent, unless he signs with a team he has already played with, he already knows more about the White Sox, than he does that team.

It is about the money. The White Sox may be able to be short, but only slightly. You don't risk what he is risking carrying this out to free agency if money isn't one of the highest priorities. He can sign right now for more money than he or a couple of generations of his family will ever need.

All these "reading between the lines" posts are fantasy. He said he doesn't want to discuss a contract during the season. He wants to be a free agent. That isn't a guy who seems destined to stay.

Not disagreeing I was just answering whoever I quoted. Just because he says its not about the money doesn't mean he should prove it and sign now. He can sign a month or two from now. But I agree that it is about the money.