GT 4/18: CWS @ TEX - 7:05pm CST

Eminor3rd

Over/Under  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Runs scored against the bullpen tonight: 4.5

• Over
    • Under

Felipe "Soggy Burrito" Paulino (0-1, 7.98)

j1it7nu.jpg

vs.

Martin Perez (2-0, 2.70)

Q9qScTO.jpg

This is the first gamethread I've ever made. So if we can win THIS matchup, it's pretty much assured I'll take us through a 135-0 streak.

O/U on runs scored against our bullpen: 4.5

Edited by Eminor3rd

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What scout(s) thought it would be a good idea to acquire Paulino? Yes I want heads to roll over that acquisition. A common fan could tell you that was a bad idea.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 18, 2014 -> 01:50 PM)
What scout(s) thought it would be a good idea to acquire Paulino? Yes I want heads to roll over that acquisition. A common fan could tell you that was a bad idea.

It's really easy to second guess.

It was a low-risk, high reward type move. He's being paid $1.75 million this year and he's got a team option next year with a $250k buyout. That's chump change for a guy who could possibly eat 160-170 innings for you (which Paulino still can do).

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 18, 2014 -> 01:55 PM)

It was a low-risk, high reward type move. He's being paid $1.75 million this year and he's got a team option next year with a $250k buyout. That's chump change for a guy who could possibly eat 160-170 innings for you (which Paulino still can do).

While I don't think he is as bad as he has been, to say he can eat 160-170 innings is like saying Viciedo can hit 40 homers. Sure, there is some very small chance, but Paulino is coming off a year off from surgery and has a career high of around 130 innings.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 18, 2014 -> 06:55 PM)

Has Jon Garland retired yet? I'd rather find him and let him eat 150 innings than watch Paulino again.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 18, 2014 -> 12:50 PM)

I think you could be justifiably angry about it in a year where we were expected to make a push, but in a "see what you have" year, heads aren't going to roll over trying to catch lightning in a bottle. In a "go for it" year, they would be expected to have a contingency plan, certainly.

The guy has a lively arm, there's no question. Cooper success stories tend to be those where (1) a cutter is added to offset declining stuff, (2) mechanical changes are made to increase control, or (3) both. If Cooper saw something in his mechanics he thought he could fix, there's no question that this was a worthwhile experiment.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 18, 2014 -> 01:50 PM)

Heads aren't going to roll so what you say in this means nothing in that matter. It was and still is a low risk, high reward signing and if nothing comes of it, they spent less half the amount this year than they did on Manny Ramirez for all of September 2010.

Using your powers of hindsight doesn't mean anything yet. I really liked the signing, and most of Soxtalk did too.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=90722

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 18, 2014 -> 02:01 PM)
Has Jon Garland retired yet? I'd rather find him and let him eat 150 innings than watch Paulino again.

Jon Garland pitched last year and he was absolutely dreadful, and he'd only get worse from there. But while we're naming people from the 2005 team, they may as well see what Damaso Marte and Cliff Politte are up to. Neal Cotts is unavailable.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 18, 2014 -> 11:50 AM)

Oh Greg...

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 18, 2014 -> 12:39 PM)
Heads aren't going to roll so what you say in this means nothing in that matter. It was and still is a low risk, high reward signing and if nothing comes of it, they spent less half the amount this year than they did on Manny Ramirez for all of September 2010.

Using your powers of hindsight doesn't mean anything yet. I really liked the signing, and most of Soxtalk did too.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=90722

Jon Garland pitched last year and he was absolutely dreadful, and he'd only get worse from there. But while we're naming people from the 2005 team, they may as well see what Damaso Marte and Cliff Politte are up to. Neal Cotts is unavailable.

Bobby Jenks...Shingo? We might be able to use them now too!