Sox have tried to sign Samardzija to a long term deal

Sockin

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 11:50 AM)
Am I missing something or is this article nothing new or unknown?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 11:52 AM)
It was by Bruce Levine, so you know there won't be anything earth shattering... He won't say anything until the news is out already

Unless I'm mistaken, I don't believe it was ever announced that the A's gave us an exclusive negotiating window with Shark prior to the trade going through.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 11:45 AM)
Spending $20 million per year for a guy whose stuff has been declining the past couple of years would be a big mistake.

That's the nature of pitchers, though. You have to accept that you're going to pay bad money at the end of his contract.

But it's not a big deal, there's no cap.

Small market teams like the White Sox have no business signing pitchers to contracts that average out to over 20 million a year. It's just stupid. They will get hurt or will get rocked at some point and won't be worth the dough. If they were willing to spend 200 million or more per season on contracts, fine. But not in the current climate of small market teams.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 11:21 AM)
With Price, Cueto, Kazmir, Leake, Latos as free agents with no draft pick compensation, he may be left waiting til late Jan/Feb to sign a deal. At that point, thats when you go for him when his tag comes down a lot.

Don't forget Greinke as well as he's expected to opt out of his Dodgers' deal.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 12:19 PM)
Small market teams like the White Sox have no business signing pitchers to contracts that average out to over 20 million a year. It's just stupid. They will get hurt or will get rocked at some point and won't be worth the dough. If they were willing to spend 200 million or more per season on contracts, fine. But not in the current climate of small market teams.

Small market? Yeah, okay. The White Sox have deep pockets and a huge, sleeping fanbase. If the pitchers can win games, get butts in the seats, you pay for them at market price even with the bad money at the end.

This should have been known already. Samardzija has always wanted to test free agency. He's looking for a $100 million deal and I think he gets it. If it comes to something like 5/$85-$90 million, then I could see White Sox getting involved. I'd rather spend that $$ elsewhere though and go with young rotation.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 12:56 PM)
This should have been known already. Samardzija has always wanted to test free agency. He's looking for a $100 million deal and I think he gets it. If it comes to something like 5/$85-$90 million, then I could see White Sox getting involved. I'd rather spend that $$ elsewhere though and go with young rotation.

When you look at the free agents for next season, i would be interested to see who would offer that kind of money. Yankees? Red Sox? It's a lot to pay for Jeff Samardzija.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 01:04 PM)
Greinke is not going anywhere. He will opt out but Dodgers will extend his deal with more money and years.

Agreed. When you have essentially infinite funds in a market like LA, you can just throw more money.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 12:59 PM)
When you look at the free agents for next season, i would be interested to see who would offer that kind of money. Yankees? Red Sox? It's a lot to pay for Jeff Samardzija.

This is why nobody in the thread wants to sign him.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 03:45 PM)
This is why nobody in the thread wants to sign him.

2c3546c0d05957b0617b7a2da863b6b8.jpg

But if you stop and think, the question isn't "Should we re-sign Samardzija?", it's "At what price would the White Sox sign Jeff Samardzija?" as well as "Is there a chance he'll be on the market for that value?"

So you start by looking at the usual suspects. Yankees, Red Sox are likely to aim higher. So are the Cubs. Angels maybe? Do they think Jeff Samardzija is worth that kind of money? Probably not.

We'd be better off with Daniel Norris or Jeff Hoffman.

Oops.

Now someone inevitably will post a critical review of Hoffman despite it being his first month back from TJ surgery...which historically has required 18-24 months to rebound to 100% or better.

Secondly, the White Sox were willing to take him at 3 if Rodon was already selected, so nothing has changed in his repertoire. If the medicals were fine, then it's a risk but not as much as Shark at age 31 or 32 for $100 million.

Edited by caulfield12