#KennyWatch begins; aka M's fire Jack Z

southsider2k5

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 12:54 PM)
Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale 40m40 minutes ago

The #Mariners want experienced GM,so speculation on: Ken Williams,Kevin Towers,Jerry Dipoto,Frank Wren,Josh Byrnes,Jim Hendry,Pat Gillick.

They want experience. Maybe Orsillo is coming to the White Sox TV booth and the Hawkeroo heads to Seattle to be their GM. Mercy!

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 12:40 PM)
Nightengale says that Seattle wants to hire new GM by conclusion of this season. He also tweeted that they want an experienced GM and listed Kenny Williams, Kevin Towers, Jerry DiPoto, Frank Wren, and Jim Hendry. Why would they hire any of those people?

I would hire Dipoto or Wren

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 01:21 PM)
Am I the only one here who wants Kenny Williams to stay? Does he have any more fans here?

I am fine with Kenny. Despite the disagreements, I think the front office is the best it has been because of a balance of scouting experience and aggression, versus the long term thinking and forward viewing.

My big fear is that if Williams leaves we lose that faction of the organization that looks more at the intangibles and tools versus stats and numbers. Remember, it was Kenny down scouting Jose Abreu who pushed Jerry to sign him. You can think what you want of Kenny as a GM, but he has an eye for talent.

Goodness this idea that KW personally led the charge for JA and he has a "great eye for talent" has taken on a life of its own. You are what you record says you are and KW's record is mediocre at best. And, furthermore, with a severe downward slope at the end.

KW likes a lot of players. Just because he urged the signing of JA doesn't mean he has a great eye for eye talent that is hindsight bias. His overall record on acquiring talent is mediocre at best. If you scout enough players eventually you might get lucky and have one pan out but Tyler Flowers can run into a fastball too can't he? Doesn't mean he's overall a good hitter.

He is also the man that hired the people behind the latin america fiasco. He is the guy that wasted a draft pick on his son.

Forget KW.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 01:47 PM)
Goodness this idea that KW personally led the charge for JA and he has a "great eye for talent" has taken on a life of its own. You are what you record says you are and KW's record is mediocre at best. And, furthermore, with a severe downward slope at the end.

KW likes a lot of players. Just because he urged the signing of JA doesn't mean he has a great eye for eye talent that is hindsight bias. His overall record on acquiring talent is mediocre at best. If you scout enough players eventually you might get lucky and have one pan out but Tyler Flowers can run into a fastball too can't he? Doesn't mean he's overall a good hitter.

He is also the man that hired the people behind the latin america fiasco. He is the guy that wasted a draft pick on his son.

Forget KW.

Now that is irony. It is hindsight bias one way, but not the other apparently.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 01:26 PM)
I am fine with Kenny. Despite the disagreements, I think the front office is the best it has been because of a balance of scouting experience and aggression, versus the long term thinking and forward viewing.

My big fear is that if Williams leaves we lose that faction of the organization that looks more at the intangibles and tools versus stats and numbers. Remember, it was Kenny down scouting Jose Abreu who pushed Jerry to sign him. You can think what you want of Kenny as a GM, but he has an eye for talent.

So one position player in 10 years justifies KW sticking around?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 01:26 PM)

KW track record on evaluating talent is absolutely terrible overall. Many teams looked at Abreu, he was no diamond in a rough only KW knew about.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 02:25 PM)
KW track record on evaluating talent is absolutely terrible overall. Many teams looked at Abreu, he was no diamond in a rough only KW knew about.

But KW got him. Every candidate has warts. One thing KW has is a shiny ring. I know, he got lucky one year and everything worked out, but even if that was true, why doesn't it happen to every dope with a GM title? I am no fan of KW, but you have to give him a world title and he has brought many good players to Chicago. If you are going to remember everything that went wrong, you have to remember everything that went right. Not every team has won a WS since KW's reign began. That said, I think this is much ado about nothing. Why would he go to Seattle and leave his new wife in Chicago?