Joe Jackson reinstatement request denied

southsider2k5

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 10:37 AM)
Honestly I find this stuff kind of tired.

Me too. I find it funny when a fan today gets emotional about Joe Jackson or Buck Weaver.

Gambling was rampant before 1920. They finally did something about it after the 1919 World Series. That was the final straw, and the game has been better for it since.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 11:40 AM)
Me too. I find it funny when a fan today gets emotional about Joe Jackson or Buck Weaver.

Gambling was rampant before 1920. They finally did something about it after the 1919 World Series. That was the final straw, and the game has been better for it since.

Most of the evidence points to Jackson being innocent. He was a victim of the other 7 idiots using his name with the gamblers since he was the leagues star player at the time. No one disputes the black sox took money and threw the series. Jackson however did not. The White Sox are pretty short on historically great players, so it'd be great to see one of the few actually honored.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 12:09 PM)
Most of the evidence points to Jackson being innocent. He was a victim of the other 7 idiots using his name with the gamblers since he was the leagues star player at the time. No one disputes the black sox took money and threw the series. Jackson however did not. The White Sox are pretty short on historically great players, so it'd be great to see one of the few actually honored.

6 idiots. Buck Weaver was only banned for not informing officials when he caught wind of the scandal but otherwise had zero involvement.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

As he should have. We are talking about the validity of a sport being overturned, if this happened in modern day, I'd expect banning from the sport to be the least of the concern. If baseball didn't come down hard on this, who knows if it's popularity would have continued in the modern eras. Could have ended up like horseracing.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 01:00 PM)
As he should have. We are talking about the validity of a sport being overturned, if this happened in modern day, I'd expect banning from the sport to be the least of the concern. If baseball didn't come down hard on this, who knows if it's popularity would have continued in the modern eras. Could have ended up like horseracing.

The need to boot Thomas out of the hall next for not naming names.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 02:21 PM)
Being 100% honest, I know next to nothing about the case outside of what I saw in 8 Men Out. What are you all using as source materials for what really happened?

There's a lot of information out there if you do some quick googling. People have done a lot of research on this using newspaper reports from the time, testimonies, etc...

Steroids were not even banned during Thomas's time. ANd frankly, even if they were, to pretty much everyone not making cheap points, purposely throwing a game is a completely different level than taking performance enhancers. There is a huge difference when you are changing the game so that the result is fixed.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 01:47 PM)
Steroids were not even banned during Thomas's time. ANd frankly, even if they were, to pretty much everyone not making cheap points, purposely throwing a game is a completely different level than taking performance enhancers. There is a huge difference when you are changing the game so that the result is fixed.

They were banned for essentially the entirety of Thomas' career. They probably had a bigger impact on the game than throwing games ever did.

That is such bull. Would anyone watch baseball if there was serious doubt over whether the games were fixed? Would you watch baseball again if it turned out the White Sox lost in the world series because the umpires were paid off?

People certainly answered whether they would watch baseball if there were players on performance enhancers.

The difference on the real "integrity of the game" is so gigantic it's not even debatable.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 01:47 PM)

Technically they were always banned, they just weren't tested for.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 01:57 PM)
That is such bull. Would anyone watch baseball if there was serious doubt over whether the games were fixed? Would you watch baseball again if it turned out the White Sox lost in the world series because the umpires were paid off?

People certainly answered whether they would watch baseball if there were players on performance enhancers.

The difference on the real "integrity of the game" is so gigantic it's not even debatable.

There is a large difference in logic and motivation here. With steroids, it was all about guys trying to win. With gambling, the chances is there that someone is trying to lose. That makes a very big difference to me in terms of punishment. Someone who is purposefully trying to lose should never be allowed to play professional baseball again, period.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 02:01 PM)
There is a large difference in logic and motivation here. With steroids, it was all about guys trying to win. With gambling, the chances is there that someone is trying to lose. That makes a very big difference to me in terms of punishment. Someone who is purposefully trying to lose should never be allowed to play professional baseball again, period.

With steroids you have players honestly motivated and trying to compete, in the other, you have the absence of competition. Not unfairness within competition, but the absence of it. That's a huge deal.