Saladino could take over ss until Anderson is ready

Whisox05

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Sep 2, 2015 -> 10:16 PM)
Please no. His bat sucks. I'd rather sign a 1 year deal with vet who at least provides a decent bat. Saladino is a utility player. Defensive replacement.

I feel the same way about sanchez. I still think micah will be the better offense of the 2

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Sep 2, 2015 -> 11:59 PM)
KW at his finest such a s***ty talent evaluator.

This is such a typical statement from you.

A 2nd round pick drafted out of high school, a 7th round pick and a 17 year old Venezuelan kid signed for minimal money turned into 3 major league players. That's a win.

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Sep 2, 2015 -> 11:16 PM)
Please no. His bat sucks. I'd rather sign a 1 year deal with vet who at least provides a decent bat. Saladino is a utility player. Defensive replacement.

Saladino is a rookie with one month of major league experience. He has had success in his career in the minors. Why are people writing him off as if he'll never improve? Whenever young players are on other teams and struggle people are more than willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. But when it comes to here, what players do in their first month equates to their career ceilings? Saladino has had his moments, both good and bad, and maybe utility player is his ceiling (which is fine), but I think it's a bit early to declare that his definitive future.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 07:26 AM)
Saladino is a rookie with one month of major league experience. He has had success in his career in the minors. Why are people writing him off as if he'll never improve? Whenever young players are on other teams and struggle people are more than willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. But when it comes to here, what players do in their first month equates to their career ceilings? Saladino has had his moments, both good and bad, and maybe utility player is his ceiling (which is fine), but I think it's a bit early to declare that his definitive future.

x1,000...look at how much better Sanchez has been after a horrific start. Young players require patience.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 07:23 AM)
A 2nd round pick drafted out of high school, a 7th round pick and a 17 year old Venezuelan kid signed for minimal money turned into 3 major league players. That's a win.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 07:26 AM)

Love the above two posts. Saladino is probably a utility infielder - and I'm willing to be he'd be a better than average one - but the guy has been around for very little time. To say things like "his bat sucks" is just premature.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 08:01 AM)
The difference is Saladino has never been a very good hitter at any level, while Sanchez has hit for high averages in the minors. I do think Saladino will improve slightly with the bat, but not as much as you all seem to expect.

That is patently false. First, both players had very good and pretty bad years.

Saladino was putting up very nice numbers his first two years in the minors while playing a premium position. He regressed hard in 2012 and 2013. Then in 2014 the guy big numbers in his first trip to AAA at a fairly age-appropriate level, before he had TJ surgery. In 2015 he was still recovering from it, but once he got going in Charlotte, he was putting up those very good numbers again (look at the last month before he was called up). Basically, leaving out injury recovery, he had two (strange) bad years in AA mid-minors-career, sandwiched by very good numbers his first two seasons and his last semi-full season in the minors.

Sanchez was younger at each level (by a year or two), but also spent a lot more years in the minors. His first trip to AAA was awful on the offensive end, but he was very young. Rebounded in 2014 to be pretty good on that side. Then this year he mastered that level. This isn't even mentioning that while Sanchez has at times hit for high averages in the minors (though not every year either), he's never hit for any power, where Saladino has.

I don't think Saladino is an average major league starting shortstop in the overall value sense - I think he'd be lower tier but playable maybe. Sanchez is similar, with better hands and feet but a weaker arm on D, maybe a higher average* but far less power on offense. Both have decent but not spectacular speed.

* = I have serious concerns about his bat speed, and I think they will soon start pounding him with fastballs he can't catch up to.

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 08:10 AM)
This is dumb. And are they really not going to pick up Alexei's option?

I think they probably will - this is leverage, plus the idea of a backup plan which is always good to have.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 08:25 AM)
That is patently false. First, both players had very good and pretty bad years.

Saladino was putting up very nice numbers his first two years in the minors while playing a premium position. He regressed hard in 2012 and 2013. Then in 2014 the guy big numbers in his first trip to AAA at a fairly age-appropriate level, before he had TJ surgery. In 2015 he was still recovering from it, but once he got going in Charlotte, he was putting up those very good numbers again (look at the last month before he was called up). Basically, leaving out injury recovery, he had two (strange) bad years in AA mid-minors-career, sandwiched by very good numbers his first two seasons and his last semi-full season in the minors.

Sanchez was younger at each level (by a year or two), but also spent a lot more years in the minors. His first trip to AAA was awful on the offensive end, but he was very young. Rebounded in 2014 to be pretty good on that side. Then this year he mastered that level. This isn't even mentioning that while Sanchez has at times hit for high averages in the minors (though not every year either), he's never hit for any power, where Saladino has.

I don't think Saladino is an average major league starting shortstop in the overall value sense - I think he'd be lower tier but playable maybe. Sanchez is similar, with better hands and feet but a weaker arm on D, maybe a higher average* but far less power on offense. Both have decent but not spectacular speed.

* = I have serious concerns about his bat speed, and I think they will soon start pounding him with fastballs he can't catch up to.

Saladino has out-homered Sanchez 15-13 in the minors since the start of the 2012 season. I didn't know that was such a huge difference.

That being said, I know Saladino had a good 2014, and his 2015 minor league stats are a little worse than they should be due to the TJ surgery. But he still didn't do very well in the minors hitting-wise before that, with the exception of one season at Kannapolis. I do love his approach at the plate, but I don't think he'll hit over .250 in a Major League season.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 07:23 AM)

Yep, but don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 08:33 AM)
Saladino has out-homered Sanchez 15-13 in the minors since the start of the 2012 season. I didn't know that was such a huge difference.

That being said, I know Saladino had a good 2014, and his 2015 minor league stats are a little worse than they should be due to the TJ surgery. But he still didn't do very well in the minors hitting-wise before that, with the exception of one season at Kannapolis. I do love his approach at the plate, but I don't think he'll hit over .250 in a Major League season.

Saladino HR since 2012 (so 2013-2015) in the minors: 18 in 1049 PA (for a 550 PA full MiLB season that is about 9.5 per season)

Sanchez HR since 2012 (so 2013-2015) in the minors: 9 HR in 1110 PA (4.4 per season)

No idea where you got your 15-13 numbers. Check Baseball Reference. Maybe you included some winter league numbers or something?

That's also ignoring that Saladino hit 16 HR in one year in 2011 and another 4 in 2012, during which time Sanchez hit 2 total. Saladino isn't a power hitter either, but he has substantially more than Sanchez. I'd say Sanchez has a 20 or maybe 30 grade power tool in-game, with Saladino more around 40.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 08:34 AM)
And like I've said, second base isn't a power hitting position. The only power-hitting second baseman is Dozier.

First, we were discussing shortstop, not second base. Second, whether a position is typically for power hitters or not isn't relevant. More power is more value for a hitter.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 08:01 AM)
The difference is Saladino has never been a very good hitter at any level, while Sanchez has hit for high averages in the minors. I do think Saladino will improve slightly with the bat, but not as much as you all seem to expect.

Saladino has a career minor league OPS of .746. Sanchez has a .723.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 12:23 PM)

i am not taking sides but let me add this.

how many minor league players actually make the majors..... i really wonder if there is such a stat for that.

furthermore, how many players from a draft makes the big team???

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Sep 2, 2015 -> 10:16 PM)

There aren't any.

Declining the option on Alexei and trying to resign him on a 1 year deal for less may be their best option. Other than that, the top of the SS market would be Desmond (won't sign a 1 year deal), Asdrubal Cabrera and Stephen Drew. Yuck.

I bet Alexei is the SS next season, but would be sign with Saladino or Sanchez if they punt the season (which I doubt they'll do).

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 09:40 AM)
i am not taking sides but let me add this.

how many minor league players actually make the majors..... i really wonder if there is such a stat for that.

furthermore, how many players from a draft makes the big team???

I don't know, but the short answer is not many. And you could look deeper and say how many make the majors and stay there? There are plenty of guys who get called up in September or for a brief stint to cover for an injury but never spend an entire season at the MLB level.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 02:01 PM)

a real good point,

another point i am looking at is this, minor league stats vs major league stats. they are expected to be different.

however another way to look at it, the value of said stats is subjective in nature and can not be taken as the bottom line, unless it comes with a chart that shows a guide line of how to look at it.